Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Looking at replacing my compact camera and liked this one

Panasonic LUMIX DC-TZ90EB-K 30x Travel Zoom Camera - Black​

But looking at the release date, it was first introduced in 2017, so five years seems a long time for technology.
Would this put you off buying ?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Depends how close to "latest cutting edge tech" you want.
A few years ago I noticed subcompact cameras were coming with silly amounts of zoom (silly in how much it would cost me to get similar zoom on my DSLR).
So I looked at Canon's range and saw the Canon PowerShot SX720 HS was the latest cutting edge tech. Thought about buying that one but noticed the previous model SX620 HS was a Ā£100 cheaper for a minor change in spec :think:
That was what I bought.

It works great as a live band camera. And I often take it instead of the DSLR on day hikes :eek:

edit: so, look at what Panasonic have changed on models of Lumix TZ90 before & after. If the changes aren't what you need or miss, that'll help you decide yy

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have had a Lumix TZ90 for a while now and bought it second hand.
Fabulous camera and the 1440mm zoom is spot on.
Do you really need a bang on up to date camera with all the whistles and bells that you will probably never use or just a camera that takes damn good photos and video ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
The Lumix TZ series has been one of evolution, not revolution...
I have the TZ95 which only has a few 'improvements' on the TZ90
Those being a larger, higher resolution viewfinder & Bluetooth connectivity

If you can still get a TZ90 and don't need the enhancements then I'd certainly be happy to enjoy the discount and not worry about the 'age'

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a TZ60, bought an as new one last year to replace our dying 5 year old TZ60. Would have bought a newer model but none of the new ones have GPS which the TZ60 has & it has a great zoom.
We also have a Lumix bridge camera that we don't bother using now, even blown right up can't tell the difference in picture quality between the bridge & the TZ60.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
none of the new ones have GPS which the TZ60 has
My TZ95 has geo tagging via the phone/pc app
Perhaps not quite as convenient, but the facility is there if you need/want it

But it's proof of Lumix TZ evolution, that even the TZ60 is comparable to the TZ95 of today

Tony V

Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Llyn Peninsula, N Wales
Funster No
MH
A/S Amethyst
Exp
newish
Looking at replacing my compact camera and liked this one

Panasonic LUMIX DC-TZ90EB-K 30x Travel Zoom Camera - Black​

But looking at the release date, it was first introduced in 2017, so five years seems a long time for technology.
Would this put you off buying ?
I tend to buy the ever dependable Panasonic TZ series s/hand. have several and all still function well. I have and still use the original FZ2

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've still got a TZ30
1642075292202.png

that's going strong after around 10 years however it's, generally, relegated to the sideboard drawer as the camera on the mobile is as good as, if not better, than it now and easier to carry. Something I guess you need to think about.

We've also got a DC-FZ82 for the "better" photos.

Guess it all depends on what you want to be using it for,

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
We've still got a TZ30
View attachment 574946
that's going strong after around 10 years however it's, generally, relegated to the sideboard drawer as the camera on the mobile is as good as, if not better, than it now and easier to carry. Something I guess you need to think about.

We've also got a DC-FZ82 for the "better" photos.

Guess it all depends on what you want to be using it for,
Recently, I'm moving from may Canon SX620 to the iPhone for basic band pics, but the x2 optical zoom on my iPhone can't beat the x25 of the Canon :think:

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Most of these cameras will be no better than a recent mobile phone.
The only benefit will be the optical zoom.
To get an improvement in image quality with a compact camera you will need to step up to to bigger sensor.
For example - the Sony RX100 range.
The Panasonic FZ1000 is also an excellent camera with a 1" sensor, but as it is a bridge camera it is a lot larger.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Recently, I'm moving from may Canon SX620 to the iPhone for basic band pics, but the x2 optical zoom on my iPhone can't beat the x25 of the Canon :think:
Our mobiles have got some silly zoom capability but ........

The FZ82 has a 60x optical zoom but, if truth be told, probably best on a tripod for that.

Buzz67

Free Member
Feb 10, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
I just recently bought a TZ60 after recommendation from Lenny and others.
Managed to find a mint one on eBay for Ā£80. I donā€™t profess to be a photographer but I honestly canā€™t fault it. Small, easy to carry, easier to use, seems fairly robust and takes fantastic shots. Really good zoom.
Think the TZ60 was 2014, so no, I wouldnā€™t be put off.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
The Canon SX620 I have is a little subcompact camera coming in at 97 x 57 x 28 mm
I just stick it in my thigh/leg pocket in the combat trousers I typically wear to gigs. And try snap a few pics of the band.
It's annoying how many stages are BACK lit! I won't use flash. I'm a gig tourist, not a pro but usually get a pic to remember the band :) : -
IMG_0971.JPGIMG_3367.JPGIMG_3708.JPGIMG_5192.JPG
Though weighing a lot less than my DSLR, I do chuck it in the day pack: -
IMG_7627.JPGIMG_4224.JPG

Jan 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
5W!b*ab3K#
I have one of these TZ90s and they take great pictures but if you intend to connect to it wirelessly, it is problematic.... so much so that I don't bother. I had hope to upload to my phone to email a pic when away but not worth the hassle

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Most of these cameras will be no better than a recent mobile phone.
The only benefit will be the optical zoom.
To get an improvement in image quality with a compact camera you will need to step up to to bigger sensor.
For example - the Sony RX100 range.
The Panasonic FZ1000 is also an excellent camera with a 1" sensor, but as it is a bridge camera it is a lot larger.
Thanks all, I have been using my mobile phone to good effect, but I would prefer a dedicated phone for a couple of reasons :-

1. I can pull a camera out of my pocket and ready to take a photo in a few seconds. With the phone I have to wake it up, swipe it up, enter a pin, open the camera app and wait for it to start. I could alter settings to avoid some of this but it's then less secure if I lose it.

2. I'm always aware that if I were to drop the phone whilst using the camera, it would be very difficult as we tend to have our whole lives on these things now and I wouldn't like to see it disappear down a ravine or to the seabed. Compounded by them tending to need to be held with finger tips in use so not that secure and I usually have a dog lead around one wrist and a sudden jerk from him could spell disaster.
Suppose I could use a lanyard, but I'd prefer it safely tucked away in my pocket.

So all in all, I'd prefer a dedicated camera and John Lewis have just accepted a price match request so I've another 30 quid off it, so I think I'll order the Lumix TZ90

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I have one of these TZ90s and they take great pictures but if you intend to connect to it wirelessly, it is problematic.... so much so that I don't bother. I had hope to upload to my phone to email a pic when away but not worth the hassle
Certainly it's not as simple as you'd hope... but with a little perseverance I've always managed it with the TZ95

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I can pull a camera out of my pocket and ready to take a photo in a few seconds. With the phone I have to wake it up, swipe it up, enter a pin, open the camera app and wait for it to start
Android? Or security conscious?
I get to the iPhone camera by waking the phone up, sliding the screen to the right šŸ¤ŖšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
The Canon compact & most others, need to be turned on, then we wait for the lense to unpack. Several seconds later we can compose the shot we want. šŸ˜ƒ

Most (all?) DSLR are on in 0.7 sec.
Assuming the camera is out of the bag, plus weā€™ve the right lense on šŸ¤Ŗ the human is the delay in being ready with a DSLR.

But ultimately the phone is a bigger gadget loss if dropped or lost. šŸ‘šŸ»

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I use android, reluctant to remove pin as I'd hope it would stop someone who found it from accessing my data etc

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I use android, reluctant to remove pin as I'd hope it would stop someone who found it from accessing my data etc
Not too familiar with Android.
The shortcut to the iPhone camera is on a locked & still secure phone. šŸ‘šŸ»
Only the pics youā€™ve taken in that ā€œsessionā€ are visible.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
John Lewis have just accepted a price match request so I've another 30 quid off it, so I think I'll order the Lumix TZ90
Where did you price match to?
Ā£270 would make it Ā£100 cheaper than the 95

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We have a TZ60, bought an as new one last year to replace our dying 5 year old TZ60. Would have bought a newer model but none of the new ones have GPS which the TZ60 has & it has a great zoom.
We also have a Lumix bridge camera that we don't bother using now, even blown right up can't tell the difference in picture quality between the bridge & the TZ60.
Never gave GPS a thought ! Good Thinking Batman

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back