Camera Drone (1 Viewer)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Google Street View, Google Earth and Bing Birds Eye View are far bigger invasions of your privacy (to name but a few, if you want to get really paranoid about your garden being spied on, check out "RapidEye" satellite data!)

The resolution is fantastic too, I can see your entire garden in hi-res. And it's FREE :(

Back on topic though, @The Dotties you could also check out the DJI Spark if you want something half decent at the entry level side of things (y)

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
The best budget Drone I have actual experience of is the Parrot BeBop.

It doesn't fold though, that makes it a pain to hike with.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Thanks for the feedback.
Another, maybe stupid question, is it worth spending money on something that could be a passing fad. I’ve no experience of droning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Thanks for the feedback.
Another, maybe stupid question, is it worth spending money on something that could be a passing fad. I’ve no experience of droning.

I think it's up to you whether it's a passing fad.

I intend to use it for a Blog (www.gohumberto.com) , especially once we go full-time this year, to document out travels and campsite locations. It requires a lot of time/effort to produce decent, watchable, videos. I NEED it for that, photography and video is my hobby and it will become more of a job once I start travelling.

People will soon become very bored of drone footage simply showing places from high up. It's quite an art producing something "cinematic" and watchable. It's an art that I'm trying to learn and an art that requires a new set of skills on top of my stills photography skills.

If you don't NEED one but think you may WANT one then I'd say it has the hallmarks of a fad, a potentially expensive and dust-gathering fad.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I think it's up to you whether it's a passing fad.

I intend to use it for a Blog (www.gohumberto.com) , especially once we go full-time this year, to document out travels and campsite locations. It requires a lot of time/effort to produce decent, watchable, videos. I NEED it for that, photography and video is my hobby and it will become more of a job once I start travelling.

People will soon become very bored of drone footage simply showing places from high up. It's quite an art producing something "cinematic" and watchable. It's an art that I'm trying to learn and an art that requires a new set of skills on top of my stills photography skills.

If you don't NEED one but think you may WANT one then I'd say it has the hallmarks of a fad, a potentially expensive and dust-gathering fad.

Thanks for your honesty. I’ve been looking on YouTube and various review sites for the dji series, also the parrot range you suggested.

This is a birthday present suggestion from Therese and I do think you may be correct.
I know @old-mo and @Jaws had them at the recent bash, and they were flying for the first time after a years ownership.
I think I may look in a different direction.
Again thanks

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I know @old-mo and @Jaws had them at the recent bash, and they were flying for the first time after a years ownership.

Oh no i wernt.... flew for the first time today... :(

Broken Link Removed

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Am I the only one who finds these things a gross invasion of privacy. If one flew over my garden I would shoot it down to hell with the shotgun licence!
They can be legally flown within 50M of private property. Anyone shooting one down must be prepared for a very large bill - the shooter will be on hi-res video :D2.

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
They can be legally flown within 50M of private property. Anyone shooting one down must be prepared for a very large bill - the shooter will be on hi-res video :D2.

Prison sentences are more of an issue for someone discharging a shotgun in any sort of urban setting.

Farms are a different story though. I'd always assume that a Farmer would take a pot-shot at a drone flying over their farmland.

FYI. I just bought some replacement propellers for mine. They are actually for the Mavic Pro Platinum but retro-fit the Mavic Pro. The shape is subtly different, with a fatter blade and kinked leading edge. They are definitely quieter with a deeper tone, still buzzy but less so.

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
As you say within 50 m. Over my property ...fair game.

Sausage44

Free Member
May 10, 2016
Bicester
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
New at it!
That should be MORE than 50m from a property or people. And as drones are part of the CAA Air Navigation Order if you shoot one down that can carry the same penalties as shooting at an aircraft.

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
If it’s shot down, there will be no hi-res evidence.

They maybe an invasion of privacy but I’d rather not risk losing my sg licence because of an annoying drone.

I think drones must be great for roof inspections

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If it’s shot down, there will be no hi-res evidence.

They maybe an invasion of privacy but I’d rather not risk losing my sg licence because of an annoying drone.

There might not be hi-res evidence but streamed resolution video (720p) may be available on the controller / video display screen device. As you say, losing a sg licence because of an annoying drone isn't worth it, nor is the criminal record that you could get or the civil case brought against you for the destruction of property.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
That should be MORE than 50m from a property or people. And as drones are part of the CAA Air Navigation Order if you shoot one down that can carry the same penalties as shooting at an aircraft.
...but you do get to put a little drone sticker on the side of your rifle/gun though..

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There might not be hi-res evidence but streamed resolution video (720p) may be available on the controller / video display screen device. As you say, losing a sg licence because of an annoying drone isn't worth it, nor is the criminal record that you could get or the civil case brought against you for the destruction of property.
That's what I had in mind. And it's very unlikely that shooting down a drone would destroy the SD card it's carrying - unless you add theft to the destruction of property offence.:)

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
If

I used mine for exactly that when we found a sizeable chunk of lead in my back garden.

The roofing company that came to fit new lead on my roof were really impressed (and I was amazed they didn't have one) but they told me that there are a few legal implications of using drones commercially (Privacy, 3rd party liability, training) that made it uneconomic for small firms.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
And what of that baby in a pram enjoying the fresh air when a stray pellet blinds him/her ?
I'm not suggesting it couldn't happen but in my teens I undertook a fair bit of grouse-beating. The beaters can often approach the butts with the shooters inside from higher ground so they are basically being fired over (or at by over-excited shooters) from from as little as 150 yards. It was regarded as a badge of honour to have the black marks of gunshot on face and clothing. No eye damage occurred.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back