Camera Drone

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Gadget, Mar 29, 2018.

1. RogerThat

RogerThat Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +1,232
    It's an incredible piece of technology isn't it, the amount of mathematical calculations it must be doing per second, just to hover in one place.... amazing (y)

• Like it Like it x 2
  2. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

Ratings:
    +2,680
    Size is everything.

The VERY best drones technically are too large for the amateur to be bothered to carry (and I include the Phantoms in that category).

It's like the old adage, "The best camera is the one you have with you". You are most likely to carry a DJI Spark, DJI Air or DJI Mavic Pro. They all, quite literally, fit in a large coat pocket.
    You can take these 3 on a Hike without really noticing them. The Phantoms are technically as good, or better (depending on the model), but you really don't want to carry them any distance.

I have a Mavic Pro and I think it's the best compromise between "professional video" and ease of carry. However for most people wanting the best bang for the buck I'd recommend the DJI AIR.
    It's incredibly small and portable (the most important thing for most people) and does a lot of what the Mavic Pro does for a lower price.

The DJI Spark was a stop-gap product. It looks tiny but doesn't fold so its size is misleading. The AIR is amazingly tiny.

When I bought the Mavic Pro it was clearly the best compact Drone but it's no longer that clear. I don't regret buying it for a second but I may have been tempted by the AIR if I was buying today.

Here's a screen shot from my Mavic pro. We were on Hayling Island for a couple of days. The actual footage looks amazing. That's Portsmouth on the horizon.
    hayling b.jpg

• Like it Like it x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

Ratings:
    +2,680
    Here's a short video from our stay at Hayling Island. It gives a good view of the Motorhome parking there.

Please Subscribe to the channel if you want to be alerted of more videos

• Like it Like it x 2
  4. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

Ratings:
    +2,680

Went out this morning and took dome drone footage around Andover in Hampshire

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. The Dotties

The Dotties Funster

Ratings:
    +2,402
    @Go Humberto!
    Could you recommend a decent drone, below professional standard but at the higher end of amateur.
    I’m looking for ‘family’ grade video and stills, easy to fly with decent fly time
    Emphasis on easy:)
    Geoff

6. RogerThat

Ratings:
    +1,232
    DJI Mavic Air is a good mid-level starting point.

Depends on your budget though?

7. The Dotties

The Dotties Funster

Ratings:
    +2,402
    Thanks. I’ll talk to google and read up on them

8. drago35uk

drago35uk Funster

Ratings:
    +470
    Am I the only one who finds these things a gross invasion of privacy. If one flew over my garden I would shoot it down to hell with the shotgun licence!

9. RogerThat

Ratings:
    +1,232
    Edit: Can't delete for some reason? Never mind, it wasn't important enough :rolleyes:

10. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

Ratings:
    +2,680
    Surely your actual shotgun would be more effective.

They can be a gross invasion of privacy, that's for sure.
    It's like anything, they need to be used responsibly and SHOULD have been licensed from the moment they were made available to the public.
    There are common sense rules for their use but which 14 year old with a new flying toy gives a damn about rules? It reminds me a lot of Kids using Air rifles improperly.

Anyone with a brain could have seen that they could become a menace (as well as weapon). Unfortunately having a brain rules out anyone in Government and now the horse has bolted, it's too late.

Hobby use will seem trivial when, in 10 years the sky will be full of parcel-delivery drones.

Tip - Buy shares in any company you see that starts selling cheap drone-jamming devices. Trust me...they'll be available soon (10 Downing Street and many other sensitive establishments already have them).

11. RogerThat

Ratings:
    +1,232
    Google Street View, Google Earth and Bing Birds Eye View are far bigger invasions of your privacy (to name but a few, if you want to get really paranoid about your garden being spied on, check out "RapidEye" satellite data!)

The resolution is fantastic too, I can see your entire garden in hi-res. And it's FREE :(

Back on topic though, @The Dotties you could also check out the DJI Spark if you want something half decent at the entry level side of things (y)

12. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

Ratings:
    +2,680
    The best budget Drone I have actual experience of is the Parrot BeBop.

It doesn't fold though, that makes it a pain to hike with.

13. The Dotties

The Dotties Funster

Ratings:
    +2,402
    Thanks for the feedback.
    Another, maybe stupid question, is it worth spending money on something that could be a passing fad. I’ve no experience of droning.

14. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

Ratings:
    +2,680
    I think it's up to you whether it's a passing fad.

I intend to use it for a Blog (www.gohumberto.com) , especially once we go full-time this year, to document out travels and campsite locations. It requires a lot of time/effort to produce decent, watchable, videos. I NEED it for that, photography and video is my hobby and it will become more of a job once I start travelling.

People will soon become very bored of drone footage simply showing places from high up. It's quite an art producing something "cinematic" and watchable. It's an art that I'm trying to learn and an art that requires a new set of skills on top of my stills photography skills.

If you don't NEED one but think you may WANT one then I'd say it has the hallmarks of a fad, a potentially expensive and dust-gathering fad.

• Like it Like it x 1
  15. The Dotties

The Dotties Funster

Ratings:
    +2,402

Thanks for your honesty. I’ve been looking on YouTube and various review sites for the dji series, also the parrot range you suggested.

This is a birthday present suggestion from Therese and I do think you may be correct.
    I know @old-mo and @Jaws had them at the recent bash, and they were flying for the first time after a years ownership.
    I think I may look in a different direction.
    Again thanks

16. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Ratings:
    +73,918
  17. Dervish31

Dervish31

Ratings:
    +2
    Would love to buy a Mavic Air drone but it's too expensive.

18. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +8,437
    They can be legally flown within 50M of private property. Anyone shooting one down must be prepared for a very large bill - the shooter will be on hi-res video :D2.

19. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

Ratings:
    +2,680
    Prison sentences are more of an issue for someone discharging a shotgun in any sort of urban setting.

Farms are a different story though. I'd always assume that a Farmer would take a pot-shot at a drone flying over their farmland.

FYI. I just bought some replacement propellers for mine. They are actually for the Mavic Pro Platinum but retro-fit the Mavic Pro. The shape is subtly different, with a fatter blade and kinked leading edge. They are definitely quieter with a deeper tone, still buzzy but less so.

20. drago35uk

drago35uk Funster

Ratings:
    +470
    As you say within 50 m. Over my property ...fair game.