Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
We are visiting Cambridge in June - any hints regarding:
1. Best site to stay?
2. Cambridge Camping and Caravan Club site or Cherry Hinton Caravan Club site?
3. Best places to visit in the area?
Many thanks!::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Haven't checked before writing but have you got this the right way round? We are member of both clubs and stayed at the Cherry Hinton Caravan Club Site for a week last year for access to Addenbrookes. Bus stop 5 minutes walk from the site took us to the hospital and on into the City, free with the bus pass. :roflmto: We had previously booked with the C&CC site which on paper is closer to the hospital but no direct bus route, and given they only had grass pitches and it was very wet at the time (don't start me on front wheel drive and wet grass) decided to switch to Cherry Hinton. Hope this helps. :Smile:

OP
OP
landscaper
Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Haven't checked before writing but have you got this the right way round? We are member of both clubs and stayed at the Cherry Hinton Caravan Club Site for a week last year for access to Addenbrookes. Bus stop 5 minutes walk from the site took us to the hospital and on into the City, free with the bus pass. :roflmto: We had previously booked with the C&CC site which on paper is closer to the hospital but no direct bus route, and given they only had grass pitches and it was very wet at the time (don't start me on front wheel drive and wet grass) decided to switch to Cherry Hinton. Hope this helps. :Smile:
Thank you - yes have got club sites the wrong way round! appreciate information we just couldnt make up our minds so this is very useful. See that your wife is from the Faroes - my father was an RAF radio operator in WWII in the Faroes!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We have just come back from floods ferry.

Its very quiet, right by the river and only a short drive from the main shopping centre in March.

Not sure if March is near enough for you, but this site is well work a visit

Here is the link

Link Removed

When booking tell them you are a member of motorhome fun.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
My preference would be the CC Site at Cherry hinton
Bus services to Addenbrookes and Cambridge both very handy.
Good Site Good access.

In Cambridge visit tourist Office as programmes vary all year.

About 300 Yards to nearest pub and the beers average but food good
and in the village 2-3 take aways.

Hope that helps a bit.:Smile:::bigsmile:

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Yep Cherry Hinton has my vote too for the above reasons , tidy site but don't arrive before 12

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Thank you - yes have got club sites the wrong way round! appreciate information we just couldnt make up our minds so this is very useful. See that your wife is from the Faroes - my father was an RAF radio operator in WWII in the Faroes!

My wife's still looking for her Dad! :ROFLMAO:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Not sure what type of campsite you like, but have a look at Roseberrys at Willingham, west of Cambridge www.roseberrytouristpark.co.uk. Nice neat site with very clean toilet/shower block, a lot of hardstanding pitches as well as grass pitches.

Hope you have a good visit to Cambridge.

Nigel and Pamala

Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
I agree with the above - the CC site is the better of the two as it has easier links into the city. Cambridge has a lot to offer, but is certainly not vehicle friendly so use public transport/bike/walk.

If you are feeling energetic, then you could always hire a punt out to Granchester (of "stands the Church clock at ten to three? And is there honey still for tea?" fame). Tea in the Orchard garden (http://www.orchard-grantchester.com/) is very popular.

If punting, make sure that you stand at the correct end (on the deck or "till"). We don't like those shabby Oxford types and their cowardly approach to punting around here and you are likely to get some fairly blunt punting experience enhancement tips (or your pole nicked as you go under a bridge). Trinity punts in the centre of the backs used to be the cheaper of the hire companies for self-drive. The guided tours are always entertaining (and a lot of the spiel they give you is a lot of horsepoo). The punt touts are are real pain.

Fairly nearby are a couple of good National Trust properties (Wimpole Hall (14-ish miles) and Anglesey Abbey (5 miles) and Duxford and Newmarket are not too far away.

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I agree with the above - the CC site is the better of the two as it has easier links into the city. Cambridge has a lot to offer, but is certainly not vehicle friendly so use public transport/bike/walk.

If you are feeling energetic, then you could always hire a punt out to Granchester (of "stands the Church clock at ten to three? And is there honey still for tea?" fame). Tea in the Orchard garden (http://www.orchard-grantchester.com/) is very popular.

If punting, make sure that you stand at the correct end (on the deck or "till"). We don't like those shabby Oxford types and their cowardly approach to punting around here and you are likely to get some fairly blunt punting experience enhancement tips (or your pole nicked as you go under a bridge). Trinity punts in the centre of the backs used to be the cheaper of the hire companies for self-drive. The guided tours are always entertaining (and a lot of the spiel they give you is a lot of horsepoo). The punt touts are are real pain.

Fairly nearby are a couple of good National Trust properties (Wimpole Hall (14-ish miles) and Anglesey Abbey (5 miles) and Duxford and Newmarket are not too far away.

I agree, you can’t beat a little punt on the Cam.

Tibs

Free Member
May 22, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Tstar680
Exp
I'm a newbie
We stayed at the c&cc site, cabbage moor only two weeks ago and found it to be a lovely site with very friendly wardens.. You could choose HS or grass albeit there wasn't that many HS pitches.
We didn't need electric HU, So were directed to the field at the back which we had all to ourselves.... Bliss!!
Excellent facilities, lovely hot showers and no annoying push button! :thumb:
Excellent bus service approx 100mtrs from the entrance. No 7 bus ran every 20min via Addenbrooks & train station and took max 15-20 mins right into town, less to Addenbrooks. The last bus back left the city at 11.10 which gave us enough time to enjoy a few :beer:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back