Cambelt problems Pergeout Boxer (1 Viewer)

S

symbolic

Deleted User
My 2004 2.0 Hdi Symbol has just popped its cam followers!:cry: With 12K on the clock it came as a surprise to have the engine fail in such a manner.
It started as a 'engine management warning light' which I have experienced before on a 2.8 Fiat JTD and then did not prove terminal. That time it was an electrical fault which the dealer in France fixed without charge (I drove about 20 miles with the light on).
It was a very cold morning and when she started she sounded rough, but I was going to the local garage anyway to pick up the Vectra which has just had vast sums of cash thrown at it. Saddly I didn't get there. She failed
catastrophically, about 2 miles from the garage.:shout:
This has made my local garages new year, a nice little earner.
My local garage say they can't see anything wrong with the cam belt, just that it's slipped a notch. It's in good shape and perfectly tensioned.
Has anyone heared of this kind of failure before? It's a bit of a worry.
If you see that warning light come on I would advise getting a tow!
Happy New Year - Symbolic

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi,
sorry to hear of your woes.
mines the older 2.8td so no bells and whistles to tell me somethings wrong.
i cant understand why it should jump a tooth but thats all it will take on a diesel....very little clearance between valves and head and it more than likely has clipped a valve or two.:Doh:

i recently fitted a new belt and pulley kit to mine and, as usual when i do this, i was terrified of cranking it over the first time :Eeek: even though i checked and double checked all was correct.
i dropped a small bolt into the cover while refitting it and it took a lifetime to find and recover it but i know if i left it there it would eventually find its way into the belt run and destroy the belt.:Angry:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Sounds like another, cop out, belt tensioned correctly yet belt manages to jump a notch. yet another bad mark against the Fiat engine. If only someone would admit responsibility, I hope it is still under warrentee.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Symbolic,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Been there and done it in southern France, although ours was a cambelt failure caused by bad workmanship, and not Fiat related. :Eeek:

wildman said:
Sounds like another, cop out, belt tensioned correctly yet belt manages to jump a notch. yet another bad mark against the Fiat engine. If only someone would admit responsibility, I hope it is still under warrentee.
Hi Roger, is it a common fault with the 2.8 JTD then?

Regards,

Jock.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi no the fiat engine is a fairly bullet prof engine :thumb: and provided it gets an oil and filter change regularly does v/high miles.
Having said that I have been told that it has been heard of for it to jump and or snap belts on start up if you turn it on full lock straight away but if you let it tick over a few secs it stops this happening :thumb::ROFLMAO: Very strange but I am assured it is true. I can only think it must put added pressure from the power steering pump ????
Not a problem on mine as I have to wait a couple of mins for the air suspension :ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
S

symbolic

Deleted User
Hi Terry, thats interesting about the power stearing theory. We think it jumped on start, but I had no reason to turn as I drive straight in and out so to speak. At least I now know I can happen. I will of course keep posting updates as further details come to light.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
My Swift has a Fiat 1.9TD engine and it has done very nearly 160,000miles. It is in the local garage at the moment for its second belt change, the first was at 70,000 miles. I change the oil after every trip, usually 3000 to 4000 miles and the filter every other oil change.

Phil.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back