Sep 1, 2010
fife
Funster No
MH
hi-top
Exp
of-on with caravans-40yrs
:thumb:hi all
has anyone changed a cambelt on a 96 2.5td fiat ducato if so can you give me a diagram or a run down on how to do it--thanks, hoping to do it quite soon.

thanks ldv400

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I would suggest, that for a few hundred pounds it would pay you to have someone do it for you. You need to change the belt, tensioners and water pump at the same time.

Garage would have the proper equipment to do it. If you really want to do it youself you will need locking tools, jacks, stands etc to begin with. Get it wrong, just slightly and you can really mess up the engine!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
:thumb:hi all
has anyone changed a cambelt on a 96 2.5td fiat ducato if so can you give me a diagram or a run down on how to do it--thanks, hoping to do it quite soon.

thanks ldv400
A simple enough job if you understand the principles of engine and injection pump timing if you dont and get it wrong you will most certainly damage your engine
Your water pump is not driven by the cam belt:thumb:
I cant give you blow by blow instructions without re writing the haynes manual you will need a haynes manual to proceed, all the diagrams are in there
Locking pins are usefull but but it can be done without
Simply mark the crank pully,cam pully and pump pully in relation to the block and cyl head before you loosen any bolts or the belt, change tensioner and guide pullys for new ones at the same time, buy a quality kit not a cheap e-bay special chineese imported one
Take your time skin a few knuckles and enjoy.
Remember you only get one chance to get it right, get it wrong,turn the key and its game over
Garage time 1.5 hrs
DIY without air tools 3-4 hrs if all goes well the crank shaft nut is very tight and should be re fitted and torqued to spec as should all the bolts
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
if no locking pins avalable,use drill bit's:thumb:
im happy to do cam belts without locking pin's but i do a lot of cam belts,petrol and diesel.single and twin cams
when you have put the new belt on rotate engine by hand with a ratchet and socket on the bottom pully bolt 360 degrees to make sure all is good.
when you change the tensioner dont pull the pin out the new one till both nuts are tight.

chris

OP
OP
Sam and Viv

Sam and Viv

Free Member
Sep 1, 2010
fife
Funster No
MH
hi-top
Exp
Thanks Geo and chrisgreen
I have done cambelts before last one was an old 2.5 tranny but that was a few years ago it is always good to get some extra info from friendly m/homers it helps refresh the memory.

Thanks ldv400

:thumb:

mikev

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
Funster No
CAM belt memories

I changed the cam belt on my 1998 fiat ducato 2.5d in 2006. I remember trying to line up all the timing marks and put drills in. In the end I decided to play safe. Before sliding off the old belt I marked a tooth on the belt and the grove it was in, on each pulley wheel with snowpake. I then layed the old belt against the new and transferred the snowpake markings. This also verified both belts had same number of teeth. I then slid the belt back on, lining up the snowpake markings. This worked pefectly - have done 10.000 miles since - engine perfect. I do wonder if I could have just done this without having to muck about with timiing marks. One other point - the belt was renewed at 60.000 miles and looked as pefect as the new one. The only worry I found was one of the plastic mould holding the ball bearings in one of the the tensioner wheels was split. These bearings are greased for life when installed so must be a weak link.

Regards

Mike V

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sam and Viv

Sam and Viv

Free Member
Sep 1, 2010
fife
Funster No
MH
hi-top
Exp
Hi
Thanks Mike v for your info on cambelt change just back from Inverness with the m/home so just relaxing before cleaning it out,

Ta:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back