Cambelt Change - Radiator Out? (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
On a Laika 100 ecovip on the IVECO 2.8 Engine - does anyone know if you have to take the radiator out to replace the cambelt?
Thanks

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
When I did the cambelt on my Iveco I took the front panel off and rad out, makes the job a lot easier. Doubt if the front panel of an Ecovip will come off as easily as the original Iveco one though, two bolts, two nuts unplug the lights and its away.

D.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
As Dave says above...

I changed my Iveco cambelt in my mate's pub carpark...

I took off the front panel... then the radiator and intercooler... and then could work on the engine with ease and comfort.

I did need to bring in a mobile mechanic with an airgun to knock off (and do up) the large crank pulley nut.

JJ :Cool:

PS. The answer to the original question is yes. You take off the radiator.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for the replies - mine is in a local garage and they said its taking them longer than the 2.5 hous quoted as they have had to remove the rad. Just wanted to be sure they werent making work for themselves.
Will be interesting when I pick it up how much they have charged me as they quoted £300 all in and their website says that they always ring beforehand if its going to be extra and they didnt - I rang them to see if it was ready and then they said it was taking longer than expected.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
When my second cambelt change was due I asked the local garage for a rough estimate of how much they would charge me to do the job.

The boss said

"We don't do rough estimates, we tell you the exact price..."

...and he got his hourly rates book of his shelf and studied it for a moment...

"£100 plus parts" he said.

I snatched his hand off accepting the price!

He wasn't a happy bunny when I picked up the van the next day...

Knowledge is Power!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Do they know what they are doing? If they quoted 2.5 hours before realising the rad had to come off. It gives me the impression that they don't know the vehicle although it may be a common model.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Removing the front panel and rad from a STANDARD Iveco Daily is about 20 mins work, an Ecovip is a different ball game as I don't think the front end can be removed as its part of the GRP moulding of the entire front end. If they quoted without knowing it was an A class motorhome they wouldn't have known it would be more difficult and time consuming. This is one reason I only do my own cambelts and not customers vehicles. Removing the rad without taking the front end off first is likely to take the best part of an hour I'd have thought.

D.

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Just got back - I did tell them it was a 4.2 tonne Motorhome but I probably didnt call it an A Class and they did say they service Motorhomes. However they quoted £297 and were a tad shocked when I quoted their website as saying we will tell you before starting if it is going to cost more and get your permission to continue. However I paid them the £395 they asked for and they have charged me 4 hours rather than the 6 it took to do the job.
I am happy as they are local to me so I dont have to take a day off work to get work done.
Mrs Colpot wasnt so pleased that it cost more than the quote so it may be a day off work and down to Johns Cross next time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back