Cambelt Change Fiat Ducato 2.8 jtd 2005 (1 Viewer)

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
Hi have spoken about this in recent times, have now found a garage to do the job in braintree at a half decent price ( thanks Larby it was Ely's ) seems to me a bit of a debate about renewing the water pump at the same time. My question is ....is it really necessary ? Would I be silly not to have it done ? The extra cost is £90 approx.

Romatone

Last edited:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
I'm going to do my water pump at the same time, purely because I believe that if the water pump goes you will have the same labour costs again as it is behind the cambelt ?? so im told
so do you spend £90 to save say 3 hours labour at £50 ?? and the hassle of putting the MH back into the garage

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
They are not robbing you @ £90 the pump is about £60 plus vat trade, any signs of antifeeze/water staining
roughness or noise it should be replaced without question.
If not it will be a gamble.
Pump failure can take the belt with it result disasterand a waste of all the other money.:Eeek:
My advise for what its worth change it, water pump failing is more common than the cam belt pulley's and tensioners failing
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
From my recovery days - If I had a pound for every failed water pump/tensioner after the owner had replaced the cam belt, I would be far too busy flying around in my private jet between mansions to be on here giving advice.

You say it was expensive, and with help you found a 'reasonable' quote.

If you don't replace tensioners and pump - you risk having to do it all again in a fairly short time period, as a nice tight belt will soon pull any worn bearings on pumps and tensioners out of hiding.

So in that, you have answered your own question really. Caution is best with belts, do it right, do it once!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back