Cambelt change at 5 years (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That's the other thing. I was told I needed to change the tensioner and the water pump too.
Yep, change every item in the cambelt drive system.
False economy not to as all the items wear... Belt, idler and tensioner.
Even the cam and crank pulleys wear to a minor extent but those rarely need changing as they don't contain bearings.
If the pump is belt driven and you don't change it then at a later date, say a year, it fails its going to cost exactly the same in labour charges as it did a year earlier having the belt done.
The amount of work is identical.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Strangely the Peugeot 160bhp engine fitted to my Bailey states change belt at 10yrs.

I had this dilemma on my Audi A6 - Manual say change at 5 yrs or some colossal mileage. I did not do even 30k by 5yrs so extended this out to 7yrs. I am sure manufacturers must have decided on cam belts instead of chains as a sweeter to their dealers. Cost me £550 buy a independent. The main dealer wanted over £750. Money for old rope/belts!
Not in the case of the A6.
The whole of the front has to come off (including radiator). Lots of labour.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Not quite off, you do have to unbolt the front end but it just slides forward about 6 inches so you can get in there with the spanners. You don't have to remove much really.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The tentioner is in the kit. Never changed the water pump.

The water pump will cost about £30.

If it does go you’ll need to change the belt again along with all the Labour charge.

For the cost it’s not cost effective not to change it.

My van was coming up for a belt change next year VW Caddy diesel.

A couple of weeks ago the water pump s*** itself.
So I had to do the belt etc early.
Even if the pump hadn’t gone I’d have changed it.

As I did on my Sons Golf and on the VW Touran along with the Wife’s Audi A3.

I’m getting quite efficient at VW’s ?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Oh bugger!!!

Our X290 is coming up to five years and 50k miles and after looking at the Fiat service book I thought I had a couple more years before a belt change.
Looks like a big bill next February. :Eeek:

Richard.

Find a good Indy garage you or friends trust.

Could save you a small fortune if Fiat charge like the VAG group.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Does it really ?

What’s so different between an A3 and an A6 regarding the engine bay and Engine size.

Just wondering for future reference ?

Emmit

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Not quite off, you do have to unbolt the front end but it just slides forward about 6 inches so you can get in there with the spanners. You don't have to remove much really.

I did ask Emmit why the front has to come off or slide forward.

Is there that much difference to an A3 engine bay wise?

HandyAndy

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
There’s a good Indy garage up here I’d recommend if you want to compare price with Fiat ?

Riverbankannie
Thanks. Was it you who recommended the place on old Gloucester Airfield? Cannot remember the name.

I went today to Huttons at Bleadon WsM. They are Fiat car dealers but experienced in MHs and I was impressed with their attitude and recommending things without being pushy. Much better price than my previous visit to a Imperial Commercials in central Bristol. They found a split and broken exhaust pipe mount (those bumpy Belgian roads!), and downloaded and updated software without charge, This restored the DAB radio that had stopped working. Fish and chip lunch on Weston sea front - what’s not to like:D2
Thanks for recommendation mikebeaches

Silver-Fox Always up for other recommendations through

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I did ask Emmit why the front has to come off or slide forward.

Is there that much difference to an A3 engine bay wise?

HandyAndy
Maybe, just maybe, Silver fox's Audi was, how shall we say, more modern than my 02 model.
Also, it may have made a difference in that, mine was a V6.
Who knows. What I do know is that when I visited the garage during the day, the front of the car was nowhere near the, er, front of the car.
Also, on the model I owned, the water pump was driven by the belt and, in addition the thermostat was housed close by and was replaced at the same time.

I wouldn't therefore assume that all models were the same as clearly, ours and Silver Foxes were different.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thanks. Was it you who recommended the place on old Gloucester Airfield? Cannot remember the name.

I went today to Huttons at Bleadon WsM. They are Fiat car dealers but experienced in MHs and I was impressed with their attitude and recommending things without being pushy. Much better price than my previous visit to a Imperial Commercials in central Bristol. They found a split and broken exhaust pipe mount (those bumpy Belgian roads!), and downloaded and updated software without charge, This restored the DAB radio that had stopped working. Fish and chip lunch on Weston sea front - what’s not to like:D2

Not me that recommended a garage ?

Gotherington Cross Garage are worth a shout.
They can do Moho and Horse lorry vehicles so know their way around.

Speak to Chloe on reception they are helpfull.

Riverbankannie

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Maybe, just maybe, Silver fox's Audi was, how shall we say, more modern than my 02 model.
Also, it may have made a difference in that, mine was a V6.
Who knows. What I do know is that when I visited the garage during the day, the front of the car was nowhere near the, er, front of the car.
Also, on the model I owned, the water pump was driven by the belt and, in addition the thermostat was housed close by and was replaced at the same time.

I wouldn't therefore assume that all models were the same as clearly, ours and Silver Foxes were different.

Yep different cars age wise etc.
That would explain it ?

Emmit

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

So pleased Huttons looked after you! I rate them as pretty good and I think they are the best Fiat dealer in the area. I'm certainly always happy to use them (annually for 9 years so far).

Just sitting on an easyJet plane in Alicante, awaiting take off for Bristol. Van tucked up in a storage hall just down the road.

IMG_20191108_090011.jpg

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Actually not so - the whole front is designed to slide forward on my 2012 - you do need to know what bolts to undo!

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I have. Peugeot 2.2 57 reg how long does it take to change the belt?

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Back to the op question , cambelt change at 5 years old.
My question is when does 5 years start?
Mh registered in 2018 rapido 2017 model out of fiat factory 2016.
Not even looked at tyre date.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
At my service today, I was advised that I should have the cambelt changed next year at 5 years. The reason given was that the cambelt is made of a material that can develop flat spots when left unused, like tyres. Implication, unspoken, that this could cause failure. My mileage is 5k per year and I make sure it’s run for a decent distance at least once a month.
Funster thoughts please :)
It's not the flat spots you kneed to worry about it's the age of the belt at five years detariaton is starting to set in.
if the engine is standing the baring's are not turning and small rust spots with condensation on the bearings can cause ware this is a on going process.
Changing the water pump every cam belt change is good practices if the pump gows to get to the pump you have to remove the cam belt i wont refit a cam-belt that ben on the van for even the shortest time.
It such a pity that dealers are just not understanding of why sumthing should be changed and talk so much crap and try to fill there customers with rubbish
timing belts are like light bulbs you never ever know when there going to go

i drove a car for 9 years with the same timing belt 250k on clock when i sold it week after it snapped i did tell the buyer it kneaded changing
bill

Deleted User
Back to the op question , cambelt change at 5 years old.
My question is when does 5 years start?
Mh registered in 2018 rapido 2017 model out of fiat factory 2016.
Not even looked at tyre date.

I would suggest a safety first philosophy and use 2016 as a start date.

Mine was registered in 2012, tyres dated 2011 so cambelt changed in 2016, with 10000 miles on the clock, soon after I aquired it.

A replacement cambelt is much cheaper than a replacement engine.

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Stupid design, motor industry must have made £zillions out of replacement cam belts or sorting out the carnage for those who ignored the elastic band holding their engine together. Bring back duplex chains, might be a bit noisier, but I could live with that.

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
The peugeot Boxer 2.2 X250 is a chain drive and the water pump is driven off an auxiliary belt that connects to a shaft which goes through the ac compressor.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
The tentioner is in the kit. Never changed the water pump.
unfortunately belts are available without the full kit. Bought a car with a new cam belt however they had not changed the tensioners, cost a bit for the new top end of the engine. belt was perfect tensioners in bits.
But for the OP we are hopefully buying a motorhome with a low mileage, but age wise needs a cambelt change, which will be donein the next few days.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think the OP has her answer now. Good advice.
I do indeed and booked in......but quote is £900 to include water pump, plus servicing charge plus MOT !
Need to stick with recommended garage that we used last year as I don’t know any other I can rely on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back