goldenline

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
Port Grimaud France
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Going to have a few days in the Camargue starting thursday but have been warned to expect lots of mosquitoes, has anyone been there this time of year
Alan

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, was absolutely plagued by the wretched things. However, we were in a tent and it wasn't a mozzy proof one. I think if you have screens on all the windows, burn mozzy coils etc and open and shut doors quickly you will be OK at night. During the day/evening when outside covering up with long sleeved shirts, trousers tucked into socks is the most effective way to avoiding being bitten although they will bite through thin socks. Chemical of your choice for the bits you can't cover. Can't especially recommend any specific potion but if you leave a gap unplastered anywhere they will find it. And even if they stop you being bitten it won't stop them settling on your clothing and flying around your face. A head net, Highlander brand, I can recommend.

Apr 20, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
would agree with previous post but last year we were there a week later and have to say we were very lucky and had no problems no idea why but not one bite.we moved along coast towards sete and found a brill aire cant remember the name but it was about 2 miles from sete on a main roundabout and cost 4 euros a night and was lovely. hope you have a great time:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Maplins are advertising electronic insect killers at half price, they would be a necessity down there at this time of the year.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Been a few times and always found plenty of the little fellas around…..

Make sure you have good mosi nets and doors and use them ! There's plenty of water ditches and ponds around the Camargue so it's a good idea to stay well aways from these if possible, our first site in 2006 had a pond in it, we thought it was great until about 5pm.

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
DSCF0008w125_zpsd15c9b70.jpg

DSCF0008w126_zpsc2f87238.jpg

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We passed through there many years ago in August on a canal boat and YES
the Mozzies were out big time ! We locked ourselves down below on our boat but were amazed by the locals who were out for an evening stroll apparently not bothered by them ! A few years ago we stayed in a aire at Aigues Mortes
and had no problem but it was early season . The town by the way is worth a visit.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I don't know what it is like at this time of year, as June is the latest we have been there.. A great place to see which is in our opinion "unique" is Peimanson.. It is near where the Rhone Canal enters the sea and is opposite Port St Louise.. It is a nature beach which leased to campers free between 1st
of May and 1st October. It is solid to drive on and is a huge sandbar out in the sea, reached by driving down a small road between salt lakes (with Flamingoes).. The first Kilometre is for "Textiles" i.e... People who wear clothes.. The next Kilometre is for Naturists (people who don't ) and the last Kilometre is for Gays..
I did say it was unique !! But a fantastic beach... No Mossies on the beach !!

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
We were in Arles 4 weeks ago and the mozzies were about.:mad: We blast the Van with all windows closed with a spray every evening and stay away for 15 minutes (all food stuff locked away). Its lets you sleep with some confidence! :sleep:
Bejay

OP
OP
goldenline

goldenline

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
Port Grimaud France
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Well as they say plan A never works. We are now going to castellane near the gorges du verdon tomorrow as we have our 8 year old grandaughter for the next few days as mum is working and castellane is only a couple of hours away. The camargue will have to wait until september when the grand children are back at school. Still i am sure we will enjoy

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The mozzies will be even bigger by September! But your alternative venue is in a wonderful region as I am sure you know.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have only once been to the Camargue at this time of year, and the mozzies were horrendous. They were only the ordinary ones but they were there in such quantities. The mesh doors on the toilet block (to keep them out) looked like they were covered in fur but it was actually a thick layer of mozzies. I prefer to go much further West where it is more arid, and thus no water for the b8gg8rs to breed in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back