Cam Belt Replacement (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
VW. T2.5 1.6 Diesel,normally aspirated. Owned for two weeks by me [5 years old] , timing belt went on the M4, luckily nearside lane, 50mph. Every valve, every piston, every conrod mullered. £1k + even back then in 1990. It was booked in for a belt change the next weekend :frowny:. The repair left us rotten stinking stony broke.
I tend not to let the advised replace time frame pass by.
Mike.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I had a cam belt go prematurely in an Astra. It was inconvenient and quite expensive, but repairable. I put it down to bad luck and don't tend to worry about them.
You can worry about far too much, if you're determined to...
In a petrol engine you have a chance of repairing, in a diesel it is almost certainly terminal. I had a valve break in an air cooled VW which resulted in a short engine replacing it. They were known to break exhaust valve no 3, furthest from the cooling fan until it was fixed with a special stem filled with sulphur I believe. No doubt someone will correct me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
In a petrol engine you have a chance of repairing, in a diesel it is almost certainly terminal. I had a valve break in an air cooled VW which resulted in a short engine replacing it. They were known to break exhaust valve no 3, furthest from the cooling fan until it was fixed with a special stem filled with sulphur I believe. No doubt someone will correct me.
Indeed so. Hollow stemmed zorst valves were commonly used in air-cooled motorbike and aero engines from the 20's or maybe earlier. The hollow valve stem was partially filled with a sulphur compound which migrated up and down the hollow valve stem every time the valve opened and closed, carrying the zorst gas heat from the valve head to the more distant (cooler) rocker end of the stem.
It wasn't necessary for the inlet valve stem since the inlet valve was closed during the hot zorst cycle so it wasn't exposed to the hot zorst gas, plus, every time an inlet valve opens it's cooled by the incoming unburned fuel/air mix. I have two old Brit bikes with sulphur cooled zorst valves.

May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
I have read this forum with intense interest albeit I found it very scary. we bought our MH in 2010 with its Fiat 3L engine and have had regular services, hab checks, brake pads etc. I have just checked our invoices remembering our water pump failed in 2016 when we were in the North of Norway. They brilliantly fixed it with a new one for £1300 ouch! but I see nothing re: cam belts. I am not a mechanic but do you all agree that we should replace the water pump again and cam belt this year because I don't want a repeat (we were very lucky in Norway). The MH has done 45,000 miles and was new in 2008. Should we do anything else major?

May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
Interestingly I googled Fiat cam belts and could find nothing helpful only your site

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I think you will find they were sodium filled valves, not sulphur. Obsolete technology needed in large exhaust valves mainly on air cooled motors, large aero engines etc. Not needed now as four valve heads with small valves and water cooling mean valves cool easier.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Just been quoted £989.90 for cam belt replacement on 2061 Fiat 2.3/130 at a local Fiat dealer. I thought £600 was too dear when I had it serviced locally. Sounds a bargain now! Might have to save up first.

May 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 1980
I noticed that it might be a chain further back in the thread so I will check with the garage
My husband says it is amazingly powerful

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Had my motorhome cam belt and water pump changed by great garage in Ayr £470 and not Euro parts but original ones , only 19,000 miles on the clock but 5 years old so to keep myself sane just got it done , guys done excellent job .its best to get water pump changed at the same time as it's a big job and easier when cam belt is getting fitted .

May 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
I had a cam belt snap on '02 Ducato 4 years ago, wrecked the engine with only 23k on it and having already had one replacement belt done by previus owner about 6 years before. Rebuild was £1,100 at my local independent garage who does commercial vehicles. It will be time to get it changed next year before any long journeys and the garage at the time suggested it would be £400 inc VAT.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back