Cam Belt Replacement (1 Viewer)

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Had my belt changed today at 24K miles. The van is was registered Jan 2016, so the belt is proably 6 years old now. I had a look at the belt which was fine with no cracking or obvious signs of wear. However one of the pulleys had a lot of play in it and the fitter said I was lucky I had changed it when I did. Happy with the price as well maanged to find a gargae to fit it for £379 with a 5 year warranty.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Had my belt changed today at 24K miles. The van is was registered Jan 2016, so the belt is proably 6 years old now. I had a look at the belt which was fine with no cracking or obvious signs of wear. However one of the pulleys had a lot of play in it and the fitter said I was lucky I had changed it when I did. Happy with the price as well maanged to find a gargae to fit it for £379 with a 5 year warranty.
5 YEARS WARRANTY Hope you got that in writing
40+ years in the trade 12 months or 12000 miles is all id give anyone

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
What engine is that on?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
5 YEARS WARRANTY Hope you got that in writing
40+ years in the trade 12 months or 12000 miles is all id give anyone
Thier website states two years and 24K miles. However the the invoice states - 5 years parts and labour warranty. They must have confidence in themselves.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Fiat Ducato 2.3 130
A lot of play in the pulley at 24k,
Bearing made by the cheapest bidder,
Makes me not want to pick my new 140bhp auto trail up in March, but I suppose it will have at least 2 years warranty

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
As I’ve said before, timing belts and chains will soon be a thing of the past
A lot of play in the pulley at 24k,
Bearing made by the cheapest bidder,
Makes me not want to pick my new 140bhp auto trail up in March, but I suppose it will have at least 2 years warranty
Possibly right, though the mechanic sad the waterpump was still like new. Gates kit fitted now so hopefully that should last more than 24K miles

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thier website states two years and 24K miles. However the the invoice states - 5 years parts and labour warranty. They must have confidence in themselves.
No they must have a very good out, ie reason not to honour such warranties.
Such warranties do exist but you pay twice the going rate for the original job.
You paid a good standard price so there is no incentive for them to offer such a deal.
The usual get outs are
It has to be serviced on time and at the correct mileage, possibly by themselves, or at least a yearly inspection yhat you must pay for etc.
The devil will be in the detail. The belt manf gates will only offer a max of 1 year with the odd 2 years warrantyon special condition deals to the garage
Let me finish by saying i hope i am entirely wrong in my assumptions and you really have found the Holy Grail in cam belt suppliers and fittters.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I really believed my Peugeot Boxer 2.2 (Fiat Ducato by another name) had a cam belt but turned out to have a cam chain! So no worries. Always best to double check this out first eh?

Raymond Bonello

Free Member
May 20, 2017
MALTA
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
6years
Whats a cam belt?
I've got an 11 year old Peugeot Partner on all its original belts and ancillaries at 118,000 miles
I'll keep going until I hear the snap!
You will not hear a snap. But if you do you will have to throw away the engine as you will crush many parts.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I really believed my Peugeot Boxer 2.2 (Fiat Ducato by another name) had a cam belt but turned out to have a cam chain! So no worries. Always best to double check this out first eh?

One of the reasons I purchased a Pug Boxer as opposed to the Ducato was because it had a cam chain rather than a belt - the 2.2 is the ford 'puma' engine, also used in the Citröen relay and loads of other vehicles

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
One of the reasons I purchased a Pug Boxer as opposed to the Ducato was because it had a cam chain rather than a belt - the 2.2 is the ford 'puma' engine, also used in the Citröen relay and loads of other vehicles
One of the reasons I bought a ducato is it doesn’t have the 2.2 Ford engine in it,

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Perhaps worth considering what you do when it snaps in the 3rd lane of a motorway.

Just a thought.
Clutch in, hazards on coast across. They soon let you in when you pull across them if they haven't been paying attention & seen you are in trouble..:giggler:
Fiat don’t really do large engines very well, the so called heavy duty engines are all iveco, the 2.3 /2.8 and the 3.0,
Really? & who is Iveco ? that would be Fiat in a roundabout way & always has been.
Now it is just a bit more convoluted with CNH industrial owning it & run out of Basildon , who in turn are controlled by an investment company EXOR who operate out of the Netherlands who in turn are owned & controlled by the Agnelli family who are Fiat
Every belt I've had has had a removable top section to the cover to let you see the state of the belt and give it a little twist to check it's still something like tight. Agree that taking off the belt is a PITA.
You've obviously never had a Kia Sedona mark 1 . Kia state engine & gearbox removal with complete subframe & in all honsety in a garage it is probably the quickest way. It can be done in car but is a nightmare.
That's because it was the Ford engine in it.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
No they must have a very good out, ie reason not to honour such warranties.
Such warranties do exist but you pay twice the going rate for the original job.
You paid a good standard price so there is no incentive for them to offer such a deal.
The usual get outs are
It has to be serviced on time and at the correct mileage, possibly by themselves, or at least a yearly inspection yhat you must pay for etc.
The devil will be in the detail. The belt manf gates will only offer a max of 1 year with the odd 2 years warrantyon special condition deals to the garage
Let me finish by saying i hope i am entirely wrong in my assumptions and you really have found the Holy Grail in cam belt suppliers and fittters
Lets hope I never need to test it. However the service schedule states 5 years ( or on mileage) for a change, I would be interested to see how people on here who maitain their vehicles correctly have had a belt failure within that timeframe.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Clutch in, hazards on coast across. They soon let you in when you pull across them if they haven't been paying attention & seen you are in trouble..:giggler:

Really? & who is Iveco ? that would be Fiat in a roundabout way & always has been.
Now it is just a bit more convoluted with CNH industrial owning it & run out of Basildon , who in turn are controlled by an investment company EXOR who operate out of the Netherlands who in turn are owned & controlled by the Agnelli family who are Fiat

You've obviously never had a Kia Sedona mark 1 . Kia state engine & gearbox removal with complete subframe & in all honsety in a garage it is probably the quickest way. It can be done in car but is a nightmare.

That's because it was the Ford engine in it.
And clutch in, how does that apply to an automatic ? And in any case what’s the odds of managing to coast a mile to the next refuge on a so called smart motorway?

must admit I’ve never tried switch off/ failure of an engine at speed in either torque converter or DSG auto.

just saying is all, we all know if it can be done sooner or later it will be and if at the moment it can’t/hasn’t, someone is already looking at how too.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
And clutch in, how does that apply to an automatic ? And in any case what’s the odds of managing to coast a mile to the next refuge on a so called smart motorway?

must admit I’ve never tried switch off/ failure of an engine at speed in either torque converter or DSG auto.

just saying is all, we all know if it can be done sooner or later it will be and if at the moment it can’t/hasn’t, someone is already looking at how too.

Push an auto into neutral (y)

sorry dont understand the last sentence:unsure:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
RandallC

Lyrics
I think, I think I am, therefore I am, I think.

;)(y) no insult intended just that your last sentence made me think.... of this moody blues intro..(y)

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
RandallC

Lyrics
I think, I think I am, therefore I am, I think.

;)(y) no insult intended just that your last sentence made me think.... of this moody blues intro..(y)
Really not sure where “threshold of a dream“ comes from? More attributable to Murphy/sods laws.

But

if you’d like to consider the film Sully. The simulations said you could have made it to an airfield, the sims didn’t allow for...

WTF. & 44T EU truck on your inside, that has a bit of a blind spot where your concerned.

choice is yours, it’s up to the individual to arrive at a comfortable level of risk in life.

Wouldn’t be surprised in this compensation culture if at some point the no win no fee folks look to finding new income from accidents that could potentially be attributed to manufactures non compliant maintenance

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I was quoted £600, same engine and age, 40k mileage. Was going to book for next month but might shop around first.

Jul 4, 2020
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
CI fiat Autoroller
Exp
I am a newbie to motorhoming
Whats a cam belt?
I've got an 11 year old Peugeot Partner on all its original belts and ancillaries at 118,000 miles
I'll keep going until I hear the snap!
The cam chain went on my fiat Doblo works van and has cost me £1,600. To fix 😢 it was low milage too.

Oct 23, 2020
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Explore RL c/va
Exp
Hi All
The van will be 5 years old this year (Fiat Ducato) so I was just gearing up to get the cam belt replaced. Just been checking the paperwork from a service the dealer had done prior to my collection (2019) and I notice they replaced drive belt 7PK and drive belt 4PK.
I’m not sure if drive belt and cam belt are one in the same?
As you can probably tell I’m no mechanic😩
As always any assistance greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I understood that cam belts should be changed after approx. 5 years irrespective of mileage, most MH seem to cover low mileage p.a. Im hoping to have a 4 year old transit based MH not sure if it has chain or belt! Sure someone can tell me.

Chris CM

Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Or a Landrover Discovery 3, body off the chassis to do the cam belt, but only at 100,000 miles though 😀

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
What are the chances of that happening , you could say that about a blow out , etc
Agreed but if not travelling that fast at least you might be still in sufficient control to manoeuvre to the hard shoulder being stuck in the third lane with no drive, and no visible problem to other nearby speeding vehicles doesn’t quite bear thinking about.

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks for all the feed back I’ve learnt a lot.
I’m all booked in for MOT, mini service, cam belt and water pump replacement at a local garage for £630. So not too bad. I’ve used them before on a recommendation and they seem to know they’re way round a van! Hoping to get a bit more use out of it!

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
I doubt that the pistons would do that but a broken belt could certainly lead to damage to the valves and piston on one or possibly two cylinders, writing off the engine.
However, I used to drive daily from Portreath on the N coast of Cornwall to my work at Falmouth docks in my partner's VW Polo. The cam belt broke and I towed it back home. I replaced the cambelt and did a compression test which showed that the valves were mullered on just one cylinder. I left the spark plug out of the duff cylinder and drove it the 20 miles to work where the lads were pleased to be given a 'Homer' to work on.
Valves, piston, cylinders, all the same to me, my ex-partner was with me at the time, he checked it and said it was ready for the scrap heap :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back