Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Just collected the Moho after it had its cam belt replaced. There was a very slight oil leak which has been fixed as well. I have had the van 5 years and was told the cam belt had been done when we bought it but you never really know. The mechanic said it had been done before though.
I’ve no idea how much it’s going to be as it’s a mates garage and will probably take him 6 to 12 months to send me a bill. In fact I bet I’ll have to remind him about it when he mot’s it.
Not much of a story but it means we’re one step nearer to going away🤞🤞👍🏻.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the prompt to check my 'Technical log' (much more accurate than my memory).

My timing belt was changed almost exactly 6 years ago so I had better get it done again this year, together with tensioners, but maybe not the water pump as it has only done 22,000 miles since it was changed with the belt, but I will let the garage check it and take their advice.

It is not a garage that looks for unnecessary work, as with their good reputation they are usually booked out - no white coats with clip-boards, reception area and coffee machines - just honest mechanics working flat out, on mostly commercial vehicles.

Go to a FIAT Man Dealer? Not me thanks - I want to talk to the guy who has seen the insides of the engine and its parts ( all of which are returned to me if replaced, so that I can see why it was necessary, as they should be)

Geoff

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My timing belt was changed almost exactly 6 years ago so I had better get it done again this year, together with tensioners, but maybe not the water pump as it has only done 22,000 miles since it was changed with the belt, but I will let the garage check it and take their advice.
If yours is the 2.8 the water pump is not driven by the cambelt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
glenn2926

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Thanks for the prompt to check my 'Technical log' (much more accurate than my memory).

It is not a garage that looks for unnecessary work, as with their good reputation they are usually booked out - no white coats with clip-boards, reception area and coffee machines - just honest mechanics working flat out, on mostly commercial vehicles.

Go to a FIAT Man Dealer? Not me thanks - I want to talk to the guy who has seen the insides of the engine and its parts ( all of which are returned to me if replaced, so that I can see why it was necessary, as they should be)

Geoff
Now I could be miss remembering this but I’m pretty sure that my mate (he owns the garage) told me that the new cam belt comes as a kit and the manufacturer won’t guarantee the belt if the whole kit isn’t used.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Now I could be miss remembering this but I’m pretty sure that my mate (he owns the garage) told me that the new cam belt comes as a kit and the manufacturer won’t guarantee the belt if the whole kit isn’t used.
The timing belt kit is the belt, adustable tensioner pulley and idler pulley. The pulleys must be changed because failure cna be as much caused by seized or broken pulley bearings as failure of the belt itself. You can buy kits that also include the water pump, but they are optional and just save a few pounds over buying the pump separately.

OP
OP
glenn2926

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
The timing belt kit is the belt, adustable tensioner pulley and idler pulley. The pulleys must be changed because failure cna be as much caused by seized or broken pulley bearings as failure of the belt itself. You can buy kits that also include the water pump, but they are optional and just save a few pounds over buying the pump separately.
Thanks for that. I had the water pump changed as well. I’ve had the van 5 years and it might just as well be changed whilst it was in bits. Hopefully that’s it for a while.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back