CAM BELT DONE strong recommendation. (1 Viewer)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Can some one please tell me if a 2003 2-litre Ducato has a belt or chain camshaft drive? Fiat internet sources seem all over the place.
2003 2ltr and 2ltr JTD
Both most definitely have a belt
Geo

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Had the cam belt on mine changed this week as planned, 26500 miles on the clock but the vehicle is 2005 so about due.

Cost me £399.88 which included Belt and Kit, Fitting, MOT, Interim service, VAT so I don't think it was too bad.

Hopefully all ready for the 2010 season.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Can some one please tell me if a 2003 2-litre Ducato has a belt or chain camshaft drive? Fiat internet sources seem all over the place.

Well I had my 2003 2-0 jtd Ducato belt change shortly before I sold it a couple of years ago , so either I was ripped off and he pulled out a pair of stockins, or You have a belt :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ruddy

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
Haverhill,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
> 1yr
Im doing mine tomorrow £41 for tensioners and £8 for the belt (2.5 J5 diesel), I never believe in "service records" unless iv'e done the work myself or know the person I buy from.

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Hi all.
I have had my Cam belt done today at a local small workshop whom does my MOT as well. I paid £293 including of VAT and this included a complete kit, with pulley wheels as well. He said he wouldn't do the job without changing them as well.

He gave me the belt afterward along with the changed pulleys.

Anyone in the Cheshire/ Stoke area need a job doing from a mechanic you can trust. What I call a real mechanic who treats each customer as if they were his only customer then I reccommend them..

The belt looks sort of OK, but I dont suppose you can ever really tell. I mean its not fraying or anything. :thumb:

Job done, everything ready for leaving for the Alps tomorrow am.:thumb:

Can you name him or have i missed it reading through.:thumb:

denzil

Free Member
Oct 23, 2009
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Nov 2009
Can you name him or have i missed it reading through.:thumb:

Hi, we could do with the name too. Just had a quote off the Fiat garage today for £425.00 for just cam belt or £649 with a full service :Eeek:.

Cheers

Denise

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
You can't tell by just looking at the belt, it could look ok and then go the next day - hence the recommendations. You'll be surpirised the number of vehicles we get being presented for MOT's with the cambelt rattling away - some very lucky escapes and then again quite e few unlucky ones. Most people assume that when they have their car serviced the cambelt is automatically changed - not so, this is an extra job. Some vehicles - renault scenics in particular are quite involved and therefore quite expensive!!
A couple of years ago we had a mondeo in that had it's cambelt changed at Fords and they had not changed the tensioner, three months down the line the tensioner siezed and wrecked his engine - he went back to Fords and they didn't want to know, they just said the tensioner was OK at the time the belt was changed so it wasn't their fault. This is why we do not fit cambelts only but tensioners as well and in the case of VW's the waterpump is replaced at the same time (their recomendation).

Grief - we've got a 52 Sceniic and it is rattling a bit now. Do you think it needs a new cam belt or something else?

Ivy

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Grief - we've got a 52 Sceniic and it is rattling a bit now. Do you think it needs a new cam belt or something else?

Ivy

1.6? Probably the cam chattering - bit of a weak point! You may get away with oil and filter, as the oil thins in these. If it continues, and your cam belt is checked and fine, then it will be the cam.

Have you ever run it low on oil? This is usually the cause.

Get it checked to be sure - if you take off the cam cover, keep it running and spray some wd40 on the tensioners - if they are failing they will shut up for a moment.

Good luck with the checks - hope it turns out ok!:thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi, we could do with the name too. Just had a quote off the Fiat garage today for £425.00 for just cam belt or £649 with a full service :Eeek:.

Cheers

Denise

Hi Denise E & M Commercials In kidsgrove. Liverpool rd.

cyclingdoglucy

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
retired vehicle
Exp
retired 4 months

Ivy
i had my scenic fidji cambelt done last year£290 forgot the renault price , but it was very steep, the job is supposedly a 3+ hour job . the belt is not causeing the noise you are hearing? but all the same every 5 years get it changed, or you will have a £1800 repair bill , also just done the motorhome cambelt 8,700 miles , theres only the vaccum cleaner wants doing now?:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im doing mine tomorrow £41 for tensioners and £8 for the belt (2.5 J5 diesel), I never believe in "service records" unless iv'e done the work myself or know the person I buy from.
I assume there from a High street motor accessory shop, A1 Motor parts etc
@ 50% less than I pay trade I would seriously consider the source and quality of these parts
They sound very Chinese to me:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back