LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Not sure if this has been posted, but I've seen a few threads about the difficulty obtaining Calor gas bottles.

In the article the company blame everybody and everything but themselves for the shortage. The pandemic, the weather, the lockdown... blah blah.

Surely, it was they who chose to withdraw the Calor Lite bottles - and at the time promised to come up with a replacement. But that must have been at least a couple of years ago. To my knowledge, it hasn't happened. :unsure:

Thank goodness we now have a refillable system in the van.

Last edited:

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
I agree mikebeaches,how many people are like me I've got two empty calorlites and I'm hanging on to them incase Calor do come up with a new lite bottle and hopefully I can exchange them.In the meantime I've gone over to the Flogas lite bottles.

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
Thank goodness we now have a refillable system in the van.
Oh dear. We have been waiting a week for our local lpg supply to be stocked and our usual alternative [a Shell garage] has removed their lpg pump to replace it with an electric charger. Even the local services on the motorway are waiting to be re-supplied with lpg. If push comes to shove we thought, we can always arrange to use a calor bottle as well as our one Gaslow bottle ... then I read this!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Oh dear. We have been waiting a week for our local lpg supply to be stocked and our usual alternative [a Shell garage] has removed their lpg pump to replace it with an electric charger. Even the local services on the motorway are waiting to be re-supplied with lpg. If push comes to shove we thought, we can always arrange to use a calor bottle as well as our one Gaslow bottle ... then I read this!!
Oh dear, sorry to hear that.

Must admit although I was aware of lpg pumps being withdrawn in a few places, I didn't appreciate there is a shortage of the gas itself. Ho hum... :unsure:

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I'm lucky, at the end of last summer I exchanged a blue cyl for a 6kg red in the expectation that we may do more off grid over the winter and need the gas for heating, as it worked out when we did go away we had EHU so I have one full cyl and one in use on the van and a full one at the back of the bungalow. When I got the extra bottle from the calor depo at first the guy told me they didn't have any, then went to look on a van and found one. This was last year, so the shortage has been gong on for a while now

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
EBBY -I exchanged an empty calor lite for a full calor lite 4 weeks ago in a small shop near Walsall- it advertises on ebay - as do some other sellers so they may be one nearer you? was £26.00 so about the same price as anywhere else.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Be carefull buying from small corner shop outlets. Lets hope they did not refill the bottle themselves from a bulk tank with no proper inspection of the bottle or filtering of the liquid. Thats what happens in most third world countries, although to be fair to them I expect we will soon be joining their ranks.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Can't run your gas barbie or patio heater on lpg, then convert your gas bottle into a charcoal retort and get a proper bbq and a fire pit !
20181102_115745.jpg

20181104_112723.jpg

ps, no "Calor" bottles were harmed during this process !

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The supply issue is multi level, the shortage of cylinders available for exchange and the shortage of LPG in the country due to 3 refineries being partially offline for maintenance. It's not the first time this issue has happened with the refineries shut down at the same time. They never seem to learn. The issue started in March and the refineries are still not ready. It is absolutely stupid

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
Thanks Kirsten I am aware of the shop in Walsall,its fair run from Milton Keynes but if I'm up that way I shall get mine refilled.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
With so many filling stations empty of gas it shows how popular gas refilling still is which is a surprise to me.

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
The supply issue is multi level, the shortage of cylinders available for exchange and the shortage of LPG in the country due to 3 refineries being partially offline for maintenance. It's not the first time this issue has happened with the refineries shut down at the same time. They never seem to learn. The issue started in March and the refineries are still not ready. It is absolutely stupid

LPG is only a by product of the main refining process of producing petrol and diesel. If the demand for these fuels drops and the storage facilities are filling up refineries have to reduce production. Thus LPG production is also reduced even though the demand is still there. Maintenance work will be planned in with maintaining the supply of fuel to the projected demand. The low demand at present can be covered by fewer refineries allowing longer outages to carry out major maintenance programs.

Same goes for LPG derived from natural gas
Our main contract was to supply methane to the national grid.
The amount of NGL's we produced was directly proportional to the amount of Methane we supplied.

I can only see the LPG supply reducing due to less fuel and methane being used due to more wind power and higher EV use

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back