Calor Propane refillable connector on ebay (1 Viewer)

golfcarmad

Free Member
Feb 2, 2015
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
3 years +
Hello,
I am intrigued by the item on ebay as per my thread description, item number:
I wondered if anyone on here had tried it?
Tks n Rgds
Paul

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
If you turned up on a garage forecourt with a Calor bottle you'd probably be arrested.
There is no safe way to fill that type of bottle shown on the eBay ad. Many people do fill bottles via an LPG vehicle filler and there is an internal hose is connected to their Calor bottle in the boot. Its risky and very dangerous IMO. The ad itself says the following :- Its guess work.

To fill up 20kg bottle.
  • Always start on empty bottle
  • Only fill to 80% capacity
  • ALWAYS wear PPE.

Please research the filling procedure or phone.

No responsibility is taken for any damage or injury that occurred due to misuse.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hello,
Tks n Rgds
Paul

I N C O M I N G - this is going to be a big one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@golfcarmad. The subject has been flogged to death many times before on MH forums.

In my opinion, it is illegal (n) dangerous (n) and foolhardy. (n)

I certainly wouldn't entertain it for one minute, and if I witnessed it being done on any forecourt I happened to be using, it would be reported with haste.

Regards,

Jock. :)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hello,
Tks n Rgds
Paul
I think you have your answer ...
... I don't want to offend or cross Rule #1 but anyone buying one of these is a fool and anyone using one is an idiotic fool!

#DANGEROUS&ILLEGAL

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If I saw someone using one on a forecourt I would get out of there quick:eek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A good idea in principle but really unsafe and stupid.
A regular refillable bottle has safeguards built in.....calories bottles don't.
It's near impossible to fill more than 80%due to the safety cut off valve....a calories bottle could be filled far in excess of 80%.
The bottle needs the 20% free space to allow for expansion and proper conversion from liquid to gas.
Calor specifically do not allow customer refilling of their bottles.
Garages do not allow refilling of non refillable bottles and IF seen attempting to do so simply won't turn on the pump.

Enter stage left, VWalan to tell us different and how often he risks life and limb !!!!!

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
The man should be hung, or at the very least flogged, WHO.(n)

Kev Dub

Free Member
Jan 27, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Volkswagen colorado
Exp
The gas it system is around £200 fitted for one bottle. Just pull up at the station and fill perfectly safely. I've had this system on at least three of my vans. Well worth it in my opinion.

OP
OP
G

golfcarmad

Free Member
Feb 2, 2015
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
3 years +
As I have no idea whom VWalan is,I am further intrigued.
Please note I asked a question and received many answers all offering similar advice-DON'T.
So I will heed your advice and keep looking for some cheap Gas Low or similar.
Thanks again.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I N C O M I N G - this is going to be a big one.

200.gif

Kev Dub

Free Member
Jan 27, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Volkswagen colorado
Exp
As I have no idea whom VWalan is,I am further intrigued.
Please note I asked a question and received many answers all offering similar advice-DON'T.
So I will heed your advice and keep looking for some cheap Gas Low or similar.
Thanks again.

Have a look here www.gasure.co.uk they are just outside chester and should provide you with any advice.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
OK in the absence of argument....I'll start....

It might be foolhardy, and against Calor T&C's but is it illegal?
If you always start with an empty bottle and know how much to put in, and wear the right kit surely that is OK?
If it's so dangerous, how does the guy at Calor fill them up?

Your starter for 10 :D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
VW Alan is a long standing member how spends half his life in Marocco and the other half wishing he was in Marocco.
He has had more jobs than your local job centre but is a lovable chap really.
He is an advocate of 'do it on the cheap' and his favourite pastime is refilling non refillable gas bottles and repairing his 5th wheel RV in the Maroccan desert using coconut husks, Palm leaves and discarded camels (horse)shoes.
He has a household mains fridge/freezer in his van so he doesn't need to use gas but does have gas mantle lighting so does use gas.

Come on Al, where are you ?

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I used one all the time and still would if I needed to... now I have a Gaslow system.

If you know what you are doing it is easy and perfectly safe.

If you don't know what you are doing, it is fraught with danger.

So according to some on this thread, I am an idiot... anyone think I am worried about that?

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
G

golfcarmad

Free Member
Feb 2, 2015
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
3 years +
Thank you all for making me smile:))))))))))))))))

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
In case it isn't clear from this thread the likes of Gaslow and Gasit supply bottle-shaped tanks. LPG containers, whether bottles or tanks, must have room above the liquid so that it can expand as external temperature changes. If the container was full to the brim
it would fracture when the liquid expanded. So when a bottle is filled great care must be taken not to overfill. As I understand it the likes of Calor fill to a specific weight so they know when enough is enough. The containers available to us that can be legitimately refilled have a built-in float valve that shuts off the inlet when the container is 80% full. The same float is usually used to operate a gauge to indicate the level of liquid in the container.

Problems when filling are caused by the fact that when Gasit and Gaslow tanks are in use it's difficult for the average filling station attendant to differentiate bottle-shaped tanks that can be refilled from bottles which cannot (legitimately). So they err on the side of caution and refuse filling facilities if it looks like the filler hose is being connected to a bottle. Hence the usual advice to ensure that the filler point for any tank is mounted outside the gas locker. Anyone attempting to fill a bottle directly is simply confirming that their policy is correct.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I was interested to see at the weekend that our local(ish) MH & Caravan dealership had Safefill bottles on sale in their shop. Looks like they claim to be safe to refill as they have an overfill prevention mechanism but the website also mentions you may have issues refilling them in some places.

They're pretty expensive though - cheaper than Alugas and Gaslow, but not much in it compared to Gasit. Main benefit over Gasit appears to be the weight. I wonder why they don't do a fixed system like the others?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
OK in the absence of argument....I'll start....

It might be foolhardy, and against Calor T&C's but is it illegal?
If you always start with an empty bottle and know how much to put in, and wear the right kit surely that is OK?
If it's so dangerous, how does the guy at Calor fill them up?

Your starter for 10 :D
I've heard of Gaslow 80% fill valves sticking, so if you don't know exactly how much capacity the cylinder has you could have an accident.

We don't find it acceptable to fit a gas system in our homes yet we are fine letting a completely untrained person fit a liquid gas system on a motorhome that if far more likely to leak due to movement and vibration. So personally I think its safer to fill a completely empty gas bottle with a 100% known capacity with a refill adapter than fill a self fitted gas system with gas that has not been professionally fitted and tested.

BTW I have a refillable gas tank fully fitted and tested by Autogas 2000. But if handed an adapter as mentioned by the original poster and a fully empty 13 kg gas bottle I am 100% sure that I could fill it safely.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
My two-penerth :D2 I may be wrong but as yet I have not seen any law saying you cannot refill your own bottles -- yes forecourts have been told not to let you ---so long as you start with a empty bottle it's easy ---1 kg = 2 litres so to fill a 6 kg bottle you simply put in 12 ltrs of lpg that is = to 80% full ---there is nothing to go wrong provided you use common sense-no joints/pipes no 80% cut off valve etc -simply fit the valve and away you go :D I know of cases where the cut off valve as not cut off :Eeek: and cases of pipes leaking :Eeek: especially first time fill ups where the cut off has not cut off and people have over filled :Eeek:
Having said that I now have a twin gaslow refillable system but always watch how many ltrs of fuel go in :wink:
I also have a Safefill bottle for my BBQ at home and yes I have had a problem when filling it but once I showed the attendant and owner of garage they allowed me to fill it ---the only difference between safefill and the adapter is it has a one way valve so if you forget to turn bottle off after filling :Eeek: it does not let the gas escape :D2 Plus you can see through the bottle
terry

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would have thought if you weighed the cylinder first and went for a 60% fill the chance of overfilling would be negligible. The real question is why calor are so expensive if they charged a more reasonable amount there wouldn't be the incentive to fill yourself.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would have thought if you weighed the cylinder first and went for a 60% fill the chance of overfilling would be negligible. The real question is why calor are so expensive if they charged a more reasonable amount there wouldn't be the incentive to fill yourself.
As long as there's a market willing to pay they will charge.
If EVERYONE converted to Flogas etc they would feel it in their profits and reduce the price.
But we all know that will NEVER happen.
I would put money on a great number of calor users don't even realise there are other, cheaper, suppliers.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
There may or may not be a legal standpoint but Calor, and I feel sure other suppliers, expressly forbid refilling their bottles in their hire T&Cs.
exactly why I said fill your OWN bottles ;)
terry

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I get my CO2 Welding gas cylinder refilled. (not exchanged). The operative does it by ensuring, as it is usually, that the cylinder is empty, fills it from a reservoir with Liquid CO2. whilst stood on a weigh scale. When the correct Weight is shown he stops the flow. By coincidence I had it refilled yesterday. I know of people who have been refilling "Calor" cylinders for years, one problem is that they do have a "life" before they must be certified for further use!. Co2 is a ten year cycle, indicated by the tag on the bottle neck. The MOD used to have "bottle" type cylinders Hydraulicly Tested at 10 years.

That is how I understand ALL Exchange cylinders are refilled? By weight.

Calor and other large installation Tanks including the road tankers are Surveyed every 10 years. All the data is stamped on the vessels Data plate.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
even a bottle thats filled to the limit is unlikley to explode as there is a safety release valve built in but the expelled gas could cause problems in a confined space like a motor home which is why most bottles are store externally other than m,otrhomes and boats where ventilated compartments help
theres a very small window of flamability with propane roughly between 2 and ten per cent any less or more and it will not explode or even ignite

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back