Calor lite (2 Viewers)

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
A few months ago I replaced one of my 2 6kg calor cylinders with a calor lit one, simply took empty std one in & they swapped it for a lite. Just gone to change the other one as it's empty & been told they don't do that anymore & I would need to take out a new rental agreement!
:Angry:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Another odd thing about the Calor lite cylinders.

We priced with a couple of local suppliers the price for a 6kg refill of both the standard 6kg bottle and the 6kg lite bottle.

We were told it costs about £4 extra to fill the lite bottles than it would the standard bottles !!

So I asked, is there more gas in the lite bottle ?? No !

Is the lite bottle at a different pressure, so you can get more out of it ? No !

It's like going to a pub and asking for beer in a straight glass as opposed to a dimpled mug and being charged more for the beer because of the container that it is supplied in.

Not sure if it is actually legal ? Might be a phone call coming up to the local Trading Standards !

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
A few months ago I replaced one of my 2 6kg calor cylinders with a calor lit one, simply took empty std one in & they swapped it for a lite. Just gone to change the other one as it's empty & been told they don't do that anymore & I would need to take out a new rental agreement!

I was also told that by a local supplier, but then took it to Go Outdoors and they swapped it - no problem. They're also much cheaper than their rivals.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
We went to swap our Calor Lite bottles and were told that there is a national shortage of Lite bottles, and if we wanted filled bottles we would have to go onto standard 6kg bottles - but we were offered them as a straight swap no mention of needing a new contract.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

The Calor bottle exchange policy is here.. and the agent was correct.. Lite bottles cannot be exchanged for any other bottle without a new agreement..

Broken Link Removed

bummer really as I have a Lite I want rid of

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Can you please explain what you are talking about re 'contracts'?

I don't have any contract I just go to a supplier. There is apparently a shortage of lite bottles and I was told it was only the first one that is dearer. After that, I was told, it works out cheaper.... anyone know the full facts for definite?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I have a lite, as well as a 13KG, because with a German Hymer, the locker wont take two 13kg bottles. (God knows what size the original German bottles are). I decided not to get another lite to match the one I already have, pointless really.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The Calor bottle exchange policy is here.. and the agent was correct.. Lite bottles cannot be exchanged for any other bottle without a new agreement..

Broken Link Removed

bummer really as I have a Lite I want rid of

The cheeky ba****ds!!!
If you wish to exchange your gas bottle, for a bottle in another group, then your purchase will be subject to an extra cylinder refill agreement at an additional cost of £34.25.
As though Calor aren't making enough money out of people. :Angry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
.... unless you take it to GO OUTDOORS - straight swap!!!

maybe you were lucky.. that is not their policy

from their store..

The price stated here is for refill/exchange only [HI]- you MUST hire, or have already hired, a Calor Lite cylinder to get this gas.[/HI]

Broken Link Removed

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
We have a calor lite bottle nearly emptied, we dont have the need for it as we have a big fitted underslung tank, we havent a contract but was hoping that there was a way of getting the deposit back.

Any thoughts
Pat

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sell it on. They do fetch a few bob, and considering that Calor want the best part of 40 quid just for an exchange..........:thumb:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
so what happens if you have paid the extra for a lite bottle and they don't have one to exchange

I guess you have to take a standard bottle, but how do you ever get the lite back next time:cry::Doh:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
We have a calor lite bottle nearly emptied, we dont have the need for it as we have a big fitted underslung tank, [HI]we havent a contract but was hoping that there was a way of getting the deposit back.
[/HI]
Any thoughts
Pat

There isn't.
Best pass it on to someone who can use it.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
In all the years we have camped, caravanned etc, I have NEVER known Calor refund a single deposit, even though you have the paperwork from the dealer you bought it from. It's basically robbery. You are paying a hefty non-returnable deposit. :Sad:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I returned one yesterday, bog standard 6kg propane.
The deposit you get back is on a sliding scale, dependant upon the age of the contract.
I got 60% back.

You must have the document, though.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I returned one yesterday, bog standard 6kg propane.
The deposit you get back is on a sliding scale, dependant upon the age of the contract.
I got 60% back.

You must have the document, though.

:Sad:Why are you all going on about contracts and documents, please? I just buy the refilled bottles and don't provide any documents...:Sad:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
technically we all either signed an agreement or acquired cylinders that somebody else had agreements for when we first caravanned or MHed

Calor then presume this is still current, so we just swap bottles for ever, based on the presumption of that contract, that few of us except John could ever find

I think Calor only repay any of the original deposit if returned with paperwork within 3 years, then on a sliding scale

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Joy,
The contract is the original doc you got when you rented the cylinder .
The receipt, for want of a better description.
You don't need it to change one, just for the initial transaction.

When you exchange one you only pay for the gas, the cylinder you already rent.

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Does anyone buy the more common ones any more?? A quick trip to the nearest council tip or re-cycling depot will give you free (empty) ones of your choice. :thumb:

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Calor seem to change their policy whenever and as often as they want. This subject was brought up a few weeks ago either here or on another forum and there were only two groups of cylinders which at that time showed that the lite could be exchanged for the standard (they were group B) but there was a rider statement to say that due to shortage you could only have a lite in exchange for a lite for the time being. Now the lite has been made group C all on its own.
I can certainly see a problem with the new groups if they run short of lite refills. Calor do seem to be a law unto themselves.
The extra cost of a lite refill compared to standard for the same amount of gas was explained and helping to pay for investment in new lite bottles but that doesn't seem to have happened.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
so what happens if you have paid the extra for a lite bottle and they don't have one to exchange

I guess you have to take a standard bottle, but how do you ever get the lite back next time:cry::Doh:

That's what happened to us.
Always used the standard after that anyway as they charge more for a refill on a lite bottle as well.
We didn't mind the extra few kilo on the weight we have plenty of payload.
We have gone to gaslow now anyway for the main use, just keep a little dumpy for emergencies

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Calor seem to change their policy whenever and as often as they want. This subject was brought up a few weeks ago either here or on another forum and there were only two groups of cylinders which at that time showed that the lite could be exchanged for the standard (they were group B) but there was a rider statement to say that due to shortage you could only have a lite in exchange for a lite for the time being. Now the lite has been made group C all on its own.
I can certainly see a problem with the new groups if they run short of lite refills. Calor do seem to be a law unto themselves.
The extra cost of a lite refill compared to standard for the same amount of gas was explained and helping to pay for investment in new lite bottles but that doesn't seem to have happened.

Yes, I noticed this when I looked the Calor site yesterday.

being short of Lite bottles it does seem strange they won't exchange a Lite for any other in group A or B

I have a Lite behind the shed and there it will stay as I have no intention of using and can't exchange for a group A or B bottle .. seems nuts to me.. :Doh:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Load of nonsense. Calor's website tells you which group the bottles are in and you can swap between ones in the same group. Go somewhere more helpful. I use a great little independent nursery about 4 miles from us and they will swap any Calor bottle for any other Calor bottle, regardless of group. They are also the only one near us that charges Calor's recommended price - most others, including the bigger suppliers, charge more. :Eeek:

Woops. Did not read that they have changed groups before I posted my answer - sorry. But I still say try other suppliers, they may be more helpful

Last edited:

Deus Omnipotens

Free Member
May 25, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5 years
Yes, I noticed this when I looked the Calor site yesterday.

being short of Lite bottles it does seem strange they won't exchange a Lite for any other in group A or B

[HI]I have a Lite behind the shed and there it will stay as I have no intention of using[/HI] and can't exchange for a group A or B bottle .. seems nuts to me.. :Doh:

It's Jim's fault he's hoarding all of the lite bottles! ::bigsmile::winky::RollEyes::Blush:

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Calor Lite bottles available for sale

I have had Gaslow fitted recently so have 2 Calor Lite bottles available, 1 is full and the other is empty. If anybody wants to buy them from me I can take them to the Stratford show.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back