Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
www.calor.co.uk/recall

Hi all not sure if this has already been posted (nothing on a quick search of the forum).
Basically the above are recalling canisters dating from 2008-2011 due to some sort of possible metal defect (deterioration, I think), although some have been tested and found to be fine.
Having recently bought the MH (September) I thought I would be fine, because at worst the bottle could be 8 years old and not least 3 years and surely the dealer would have said something JIC. My container has fallen into the date line (2011) but has been checked so ok, hopefully !
I raise this even if it has been posted before because if it has 'I' missed it so maybe others here have also. Even some local suppliers have no idea ??!! :Eeek:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks. It has been on before, but as you say, things like this are important and can be missed first time round. :)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
It has been posted elsewhere but it might be worth while to add that dealerships local to me are now refusing to exchange as Calor isn't paying them quickly enough (at all in some cases) for the large (000s) numbers of full that they have already exchanged for 'dodgy' cylinders. (n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
It has been posted elsewhere but it might be worth while to add that dealerships local to me are now refusing to exchange as Calor isn't paying them quickly enough (at all in some cases) for the large (000s) numbers of full that they have already exchanged for 'dodgy' cylinders. (n)
Bertie, is that still just referring to the LITE ones, please?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Bertie, is that still just referring to the LITE ones, please?

Yes only LITE, Joy, my local dealership is Webbs of Crickhowell. Good people who we've bought allsorts (see what I did there)off for years. They have exchanged about 95 empties for full under the scheme and have yet to be reimbursed for any and have been given a six months window for 'sorting the Admin'. They are not happy bunnies. I got two at the start but needed my 3rd done yesterday.:cry:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Now that is interesting..
If ( god forbid ) a bottle does let go and someone is injured who has tried to change their bottle with the local place, who would be responsible ?

In these litigious days I do not think the depot in question has really thought it through

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Now that is interesting..
If ( god forbid ) a bottle does let go and someone is injured who has tried to change their bottle with the local place, who would be responsible ?
In these litigious days I do not think the depot in question has really thought it through

Webbs is a family business which has a great reputation locally. If there were litigation I would hope that it was Calor who caught it in the financial neck. I can't speak for other Calor Outlets but I know that John Webb has complied with every instruction given by Calor when the recall was announced.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I took my 3 to the local calor depot, 1 empty, 1 with a bit in, and one full changed all 3 BUT did try and charge for the empty one until I stood my ground and as said this was a main depot. Pete

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Tried to change one on Monday, the dealer told us they couldn't because Calor have RUN OUT and haven't collected any old ones from them either, so they're stuck with a full yard of stuff they can't shift and no way to help their customers.
You have to wonder just how much of a safety issue it really is - and if "questions should be asked in the House"!!! (like that would help...) o_O

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I took my 3 to the local calor depot, 1 empty, 1 with a bit in, and one full changed all 3 BUT did try and charge for the empty one until I stood my ground and as said this was a main depot. Pete

Ahh, thanks for that Peter we have a main depot on the way to Hay so I'll try there with our half empty one. (y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It would be a bloody shame but if the NWNF lawyers got their hooks in to it they would sue the local firm and it would be up to the local firm to counter sue Calor.. and as is the way of the world Calor ( should they lose big time ) would add a few p to the price of a bottle to cover it all.
As usual the only winners would likely be the legal eagles.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
It would be a bloody shame but if the NWNF lawyers got their hooks in to it they would sue the local firm and it would be up to the local firm to counter sue Calor.. and as is the way of the world Calor ( should they lose big time ) would add a few p to the price of a bottle to cover it all.
As usual the only winners would likely be the legal eagles.

Spot on imo...................sadly!

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
We have 3 Calor depots within a 15 mile range and none of them have any replacements,my nearest one has said " leave you number we'll call you when they're in",that was 2 months ago. I have been there to fill up the Gaslow bottles and ask every time-still nothing.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
well...lawyers being lawyers:cautious: they would probably argue that the company had done all they could by announcing the recall. and if you knowing continued to use a defective bottle, any accident would be due to your own negligence:coffee:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
well...lawyers being lawyers:cautious: they would probably argue that the company had done all they could by announcing the recall. and if you knowing continued to use a defective bottle, any accident would be due to your own negligence:coffee:
Ahh.. a good point indeed
Perhaps people should contact Calor and ask them for an alternative solution .. Perhaps record the call..
I reckon if a full timer was to Contact Calor with the scenario they cannot use heavy bottle as they are on the weight limit with the light ones, they have no gas for heating or cooking, now please make a suggestion Mr Calor person

So Calor cannot under the human rights crap say they cannot help .. Calor cannot expect someone living in a motorhome not to have any gas supply :)
All of this is of course pie in the sky.. just thinking out loud ( and thinking about anything else other that that f'ing step is a real Lindor moment for me !! LOL !!! )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back