Calor introduce the lightweight bottles (1 Viewer)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I suppose this is because BP introduce BP Lite bottles

Link Removed

CALOR has at last responded to BP’s launch of the innovative new Gas Light cylinder with a lightweight version of its own.

The new 6kg Calor lite cylinder is less than half the weight of the standard 6kg bottle and, as well as being fully interchangeable with the existing Calor regulator, has a neat new volume indicator which provides advance warning of when the gas is about to run out.

The new cylinders will be launched next March

BJ

Free Member
Oct 2, 2007
Funster No
I wonder if we are going to be able to swap our old steel bottles for one of these new lightweight ones.
Or will Calor make a separate extortionate, rip off deposit charge, that will also be dead money that you can never recoup.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BJ

Free Member
Oct 2, 2007
Funster No
I've looked all over the Calor website, but i cant find any mention of swapping old bottles for lightweight ones.

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Biker Jeff,

Sorry I gave wrong info re website, it was due to getting other info re exchanges from Socal at Southampton on ordinary cylinders.
However detail of exchange is given in this months C&CC magazine article on " Battle of Lightweights ". I quote "Changing from a Calor to BP has a cost implication - in the form of a £25 deposit and a 27mm snap on adaptor. Current Calor Gas users can simply exchange to lightweight cylinders and use their existing hose connections. New Calor Gas customers will be charged around £30"

D

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Calor threatened all the supplier that if they stocked BP lite they would stop supplying them BTW:winky:

Not a nice company IMHO

BJ

Free Member
Oct 2, 2007
Funster No
Cheers for explaining Fordson.

I agree with you Road Runner, they are a crap company. But as i can only store one bottle in my van, i need a widespread stockist of gas bottles. They got it sewn up really.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Cheers for explaining Fordson.

I agree with you Road Runner, they are a crap company. But as i can only store one bottle in my van, i need a widespread stockist of gas bottles. They got it sewn up really.

Exactly:Doh::RollEyes:

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi theres a few more in my area now:RollEyes: will check them out

Link Removed

check your area

plus i work for conoco [JET] NOT bp:Doh:::bigsmile:

RAY

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Road Runner,

BP is quoted as 3.7kg empty and takes 5kg Gas, Calor is 4.52kg and takes 6kg of Gas. Traditional Calor cylinders weigh 9kg.
I expect it will all come down to pricing.

D

BJ

Free Member
Oct 2, 2007
Funster No
I would quite like to go over to these BP gas bottles, as there is quite a number of suppliers in the town i live in.
Although i can only get one bottle in my locker, i like the fact that the bottles are clear, so i could see when they are nearly empty.
But the main attraction is that i could just get a 10L BP propane in my locker, whereas i can only get a 6L Calor Propane or a 7L Butane. It would just nause me off having to pay another deposit and purchase of a different regulator.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
TBO I got in early and got my bottles free.

I do believe however that the bottle deposit is returnable.

Calor should state SELL you a bottle not its a deposit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BJ

Free Member
Oct 2, 2007
Funster No
When were they giving them away free John ?
I wish i'd known that.

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
I would quite like to go over to these BP gas bottles, as there is quite a number of suppliers in the town i live in.
Although i can only get one bottle in my locker, i like the fact that the bottles are clear, so i could see when they are nearly empty.
But the main attraction is that i could just get a 10L BP propane in my locker, whereas i can only get a 6L Calor Propane or a 7L Butane. It would just nause me off having to pay another deposit and purchase of a different regulator.

Biker Jeff,

Apparently the new Calor bottles will also have a guage fitted to show how much gas is remaining. It also says diameter of BP is 305mm compared to Calor of 256mm, height of BP is 393mm and Calor 495mm.
I think Calor is realising they could quickly lose out on new business unless they update, of course competition COULD bring the price down:thumb:

D

D

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
At 11:39 this morning I sent the following e-mail to Calor:
I'm very interested in the new bottles which will be available next year. We currently have two 6Kg Calor bottles in our motorhome. When the Calor Lite bottles are available will we be able to choose them rather than conventional bottles when the time comes to replace empties? If we can choose Calor Lite bottles will we have to pay any extra deposit for them or will it just be a one for one swap?

At 14:15 this afternoon Calor replied:
You can replace them for the existing 6kg propane cylinder, and as long as you have a calor cylinder to swap in, you will just pay for the gas.

Whatever one might think of Calor pricing generally I think we have to give them full marks for the rapid response and for not using the change as an opportunity to cash in on extra deposits.

Graham

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
At 11:39 this morning I sent the following e-mail to Calor:
I'm very interested in the new bottles which will be available next year. We currently have two 6Kg Calor bottles in our motorhome. When the Calor Lite bottles are available will we be able to choose them rather than conventional bottles when the time comes to replace empties? If we can choose Calor Lite bottles will we have to pay any extra deposit for them or will it just be a one for one swap?

At 14:15 this afternoon Calor replied:
You can replace them for the existing 6kg propane cylinder, and as long as you have a calor cylinder to swap in, you will just pay for the gas.

Whatever one might think of Calor pricing generally I think we have to give them full marks for the rapid response and for not using the change as an opportunity to cash in on extra deposits.

Graham

hi thanks for that i was going to ask the same question !:RollEyes: after reading the lastest issue off cc club mag:winky: .... so they are exchangerable with excisting 6k
heavys .... i thought they might fleese us for another deposit:Angry: !!

I didnt agree with the statement in the [Dec] cc mag that the calorlite where made for us caravaners:Doh: what about motorhomes :Smile:just a slip i think!! then they have
:whatthe: 3 reviews off motorcaravans this month:roflmto:

ray

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back