Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Quick question please.
Just been told by a Caravan dealer repair shop that the standard red regulator is now defunct and should be replaced (since 2004) with a auto-shutdown regulator- one that automatically will shut the gas off if the regulator fails.
Anyone know if this is correct please?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I would say that you only need the Crash Type regulator if you drive with gas "on". If you switch off or disconnect the regulator when you move you will be fine. Either that or fit the burst type pigtail. I have the gaslow system, but only one cylinder. The other is a calor bottle which I had to disconnect before I got hold of a burst type pigtail.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I was not aware of such regulation. There has been a move from (red) bottle-mounted regulators to (grey) bulkhead-mounted ones and I have a feeling that all new-builds must now have a bulkhead regulator fitted. If that regulator is an auto-changeover, it will have NRVs to stop leaks when bottle changing. I’m sure that crash sensor valves are optional.

I think your dealer is ill-advised (else mischievously trying to increase turnover).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I would say that you only need the Crash Type regulator if you drive with gas "on". If you switch off or disconnect the regulator when you move you will be fine. Either that or fit the burst type pigtail. I have the gaslow system, but only one cylinder. The other is a calor bottle which I had to disconnect before I got hold of a burst type pigtail.

What!! I think we need more clarification?

I always drive with my bottles on and as far as I know they are simple off the shelf caravan regulators.
One is a Calor Propane and the other a French Butane - Am I doing it wrong?

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
I was not aware of such regulation. There has been a move from (red) bottle-mounted regulators to (grey) bulkhead-mounted ones and I have a feeling that all new-builds must now have a bulkhead regulator fitted. If that regulator is an auto-changeover, it will have NRVs to stop leaks when bottle changing. I’m sure that crash sensor valves are optional.

I think your dealer is ill-advised (else mischievously trying to increase turnover).
Thanks rogher, I think you’re onto something in that its to do with changing to ‘Truma’ regulators which have this crash feature (apparently?). Its not auto-changover, rather auto-shutoff.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat

I always drive with my bottles on and as far as I know they are simple off the shelf caravan regulators.
... just like most others and I don't think we have laws prohibiting it.
I believe the Germans have legalised against it, though. It may have something to do with the fact that they produce a crash sensor option.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Thanks rogher, I think you’re onto something in that its to do with changing to ‘Truma’ regulators which have this crash feature (apparently?). Its not auto-changover, rather auto-shutoff.
A crash sensor will stop gas flowing in the event of a large jolt. An auto-changeover (Truma or otherwise) will have NRVs to prevent flow in the wrong direction, but that is different. Crash sensors are an additional option to permit 'safe use' on the move.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
... just like most others and I don't think we have laws prohibiting it.
I believe the Germans have legalised against it, though. It may have something to do with the fact that they produce a crash sensor option.
A lot of German vans including Hymer have a bottle top regulator as sandard. The Truma Secumotion Duo is an option.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I had thought the bulkhead regulator was a European standard, but maybe it's just a 'Brit' thing?
I think it's illegal to use gas whilst on the move in Germany unless you have a 'Secumotion-type' device.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I had thought the bulkhead regulator was a European standard, but maybe it's just a 'Brit' thing?
Just a Brit thing.
I think it's illegal to use gas whilst on the move in Germany unless you have a 'Secumotion-type' device.
Even if it isn't in other countries only an idot would do it.:cautious:[/QUOTE]

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp

Not wrong per se, but general consensus is not to drive with gas on in case of an accident. If any pipelines split or pig tails burst during an accident, then you have gas under high pressure leaking out. Crash valves and burst pigtails etc prevent this leak.

OP
OP
johnandi
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009

I never drive (except on the very odd occasion when I forget to turn it off) with the gas turned on, I’ve never thought it safe.
Regarding the regulator, there must be a reason (I suppose) why new vans must be fitted with the bulkhead regulator?
We have a 2007 Hymer and the dealer reckons it would have had the Truma regulator factory fitted and probably changed to the red calor bottle top regulator when it was imported (in 2014’ish).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We have a 2007 Hymer and the dealer reckons it would have had the Truma regulator factory fitted and probably changed to the red calor bottle top regulator when it was imported (in 2014’ish).
Other way round Hymer have bottle top regulators as standard and that is still current in 2017.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Other way round Hymer have bottle top regulators as standard and that is still current in 2017.
My Sunlight too. Had the bulkhead one fitted as I didn’t want to keep messing around. The bulkhead regulator only for uk built units originally since 2003 I believe, when they standardised the pressure of both butane and propane.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our 2015 Globecar had a bottle top regulator when we bought it ... dealer hadn't mentioned it and we didn't realise although we had told them we had a Gaslow system, so they sent me a bulkhead regulator to fit. Therefore, whether a bulkhead one is require by UK regs or not I don't know but ours certainly didn't come with one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back