Calor Gas Light Gauge (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Have had a Calor Gas Light bottle for two years and didn’t notice the gauge on it till Sunday. Turned it on to the supply, was full and continued using for two days and showed it was 2/3rd full in the morning. Went to hab check at SMC and drove onto next venue and discovered I had no gas at all. Is the gauge normally accurate or is there a time delay.

OP
OP
Cairngorm
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
An accurate gas gauge is a bit of a mythical object. The advantage of having two bottles is that when no gas comes out of one it's empty so change to the other, refill or exchange.
We had another bottle but it was empty as well. The gauge change was so sudden, that it caught me out. So the gauge is as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
If you read the information tag that is supposed to be attached to the cylinder when you get a new one, it says the gauge is an indication only. When it reads low it’s time to think about an exchange.
If you shake the bottle and can hear liquid in it you may still get a few days use if you running a fridge on it or even month if you’re only cooking.
We’ve got 2 so run it till it’s empty.
Ours just ran out this evening whilst the kettle was nearly boiled, just enough light left to change. I’d been expecting it to run out a day ago as it’s so hot and we’re off grid running the fridge, unless the fan I put in the top vent is really working that well?

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
We currently have Calor lites on ours. First time we used it the gauge went from full to just over the red in 3 days off EHU. Expected it to run out first time we used it next but got another 4 days out of it off EHU. So they are pretty inaccurate.

Looking to switch to refillable very soon and get the bluetooth ultrasonic sender as meant to be more accurate

You can add them to the calor lites as well.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
I’d been expecting it to run out a day ago as it’s so hot and we’re off grid running the fridge, unless the fan I put in the top vent is really working that well?

Same for us. I fitted fans after the first outing too. Was wondering if they helped reduce fridge consumption as lasted longer than expected 2nd time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
We’ve noticed recently that the gas seems to last a lot longer running the fridge.
I think its maybe because we now put several large ice blocks in the freezer so we can put them in a cool bag when we go out, also If we go away for a week or more we also freeze a 2 pint bottle of milk to thaw out as we need it
I reckon they act as a cold sink if that’s a real thing to help keep the fridge cold as the cooling circuit goes through the freezer first.
We were in France in August with temperatures reaching in the 30°s though we were on hook up for this reason and the fridge kept perfectly cool.
As a bonus in the evening when it got a bit cooler the fridge vent fan I put in kept the awning nice and warm as well as blow drying the towels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back