TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Voyager 2 coachbui
Exp
Picking up the new (to us) motorhome on Sunday. Saying we're excited is a huge understatement. Just realised that I've never dealt with gas cylinders before. The MoHo comes with a calor cylinder. Can I just take this to my nearest stockist for a refill when it runs out or do I need the original paperwork?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
no problem as long as you have one the same, calor flogas etc .if it's calor, believe it or not but you'll find go outdoors is cheapest

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks. Sounds easy enough. We've got a Morrisons nearby that sell them or can go a little further afield to go outdoors too

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Good luck with the new motorhome, we've all had that "can't sleep with excitement" feeling while the clock ticks by slowly to the pickup date/time :)

Upvote 0

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
Make sure you have propane rather than butane thats the red bottle for propane and blue for butane propane is better as it freezes at a lower temp
and can be used in the winter.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Or you can get cylinders that you top up sat the garage, instead of taking out!

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
There are other systems than Gaslow.

As for making economic sense? it doesn't always, but for convenience especially if your touring around Europe where each Country has it's own bottle and regulator configuration.

Also if your less able bodied, filling at a pump is easier than lugging bottles around.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think the OP might be shocked enough at paying over £20 for a 6kg Calor bottle, let alone considering several £100's more on one of the refillable options :D

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yep, three options:

Exchange existing calor gas bottles like for like when empty. Costs the price of the gas £25 for 13kg +/-

Buy a refillable system such as Gaslow and Gasit etc and refill from LPG pumps at fuel stations. Costs £200-400 for the system but gas is about £0.75 +/- per litre. Economics depends mostly on convenience and amount of use.

Fit an underslung refillable LPG tank and refill as above. Costs £500+ If there is room underneath but frees up gas locker space and cheap LPG as above.

Horses for courses, but whatever you do, don't buy an adaptor of eBay and try to refill your calor cylinders (as some clown on the motorhome FB page recommended) as this is dangerous and contravenes health and safety regulations. Designed refillables have a safety shut off to prevent filling over 80%. The 20% ullage space above is essential for safety, effective vapour supply and expansion of the gas liquids.

Petrol station LPG is mostly propane throughout Europe and can be used at lower temperatures than butane

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks for all the advice. Think I'll stick with the calor refills to begin with and see how much we use. It's a case of how long is a piece of string at the moment.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks for all the advice. Think I'll stick with the calor refills to begin with and see how much we use. It's a case of how long is a piece of string at the moment.

If you only have one bottle, keep an eye out for another, they are really hard to predict when they will empty, even with a gauge, the only sure thing is heavy rain or overnight are the most likely times to run out

if you don't have a spare bottle you will inevitably waste gas when you swap before you have run out (y)

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Calor and other exchange cylinders are a real pain. you run out of gas at the worst possible time then have to find a local stockist where you are. or you check the contents before leaving on holiday and end up giving an unknown amount of gas back when you get a replacement. very expensive long term

fit a refillable kit and you can top up at many petrol stations before you run out. plus it just unscrews from the van to move to your next van when you upgrade. works out cheaper long term, plus the gas is so much easier to get and no heaving heavy cylinders in and out of lockers etc so safer

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Depending on how much we spend getting the MoHo up to scratch there may be some money left for the upgrade, but not much. What's the cheapest way to get a refillable setup with buying a dodgy adapter off eBay?

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Try looking at Hamilton gas products. I would be wary of buying used unless you are sure of the age and condition. Other sellers are available of course but they do seem to be the cheapest around

Hamilton Gas Products Ltd
www.gasproducts.co.uk/

Hamilton Gas Products Ltd - Buy discount Gas Fittings, Gas Regulators, Flue Gas Analysers and Plumbing Supplies online. 5000+ Products for the gas installer ...

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Depending on how much we spend getting the MoHo up to scratch there may be some money left for the upgrade, but not much. What's the cheapest way to get a refillable setup with buying a dodgy adapter off eBay?

Don't be bullied into it, there are probably far more on here with standard Calor bottles than refillable systems

Those that have them tend to be the loudest advocates :D

Get the MH, use it and enjoy it (y)

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Assuming you are given a calor Propane bottle (and if they try to give you a butane bottle, kick off), give these people a ring, or order on line.
They will supply a Flogas Propane bottle to your door for a fraction of the Calor price.
You will then have a bottle from each of the two UK suppliers and you will be able to choose which one gives the best deals (and I already know which one it is;))

http://www.alfrescoproducts.co.uk/online-shop/

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if going abroad local bottles can be cheaper than auto gas pumps .
many places abroad will fill uk bottles if you want .
i find flo gas is cheaper any way. secret is a big gas locker then you can carry two 19kg bottles . or a spanish bottle and a Moroccan one depending where i,m going . only about 6 quid difference between exchange or filling at the auto gas pump.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Don't be bullied into it, there are probably far more on here with standard Calor bottles than refillable systems

Those that have them tend to be the loudest advocates :D

Get the MH, use it and enjoy it (y)

Agreed..

Bottle gas is available EVERYWHERE .. from the most Northerly far flung Scottish Isle, to the deserts of Morocco..

You can't always find a garage with LPG ..in some places like Spain they are a bit thin on the ground, although the network is expanding.

The most flexible system is one refillable bottle and a space for a pre-filled bottle.. that way you can benefit from lower cost LPG when it's available, and when it's not, buy the local bottle , no matter where you are.

Tanks are good as they free up a locker, and if you fit a BBQ point you can use that to feed in gas from a locally bought bottle .. which of course you can also do with the Gaslow system..

Whatever you do.. don't rush in to buy stuff just because its sounds like a good idea.. same goes for solar panels etc.. Find out what YOU need.. not what others tell you you need.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Good advice, Jim.

I'd love another Gaslow system but can't really justify it at the moment

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Do as I did and get a single 11kg refillable bottle from a company called Gasit. They use exactly the same bottles as Gaslow except that they are a different colour and sell direct, which makes them a lot cheaper than Gaslow. I got the bottle plus filler system for locker and 3 adapters for use in Europe for about £190. Delivered the next day and took me a couple of hours to fit at most. And I keep the calor bootle I have in the locker in case I ever run out of gas from the Gasit, but I never have yet.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Do as I did and get a single 11kg refillable bottle from a company called Gasit. They use exactly the same bottles as Gaslow except that they are a different colour and sell direct, which makes them a lot cheaper than Gaslow. I got the bottle plus filler system for locker and 3 adapters for use in Europe for about £190. Delivered the next day and took me a couple of hours to fit at most. And I keep the calor bootle I have in the locker in case I ever run out of gas from the Gasit, but I never have yet.

Yes, priced it all up and Hamilton are cheaper for a Gaslow system and do free delivery

Upvote 0

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Just as an aside, be aware that the regulator thread is LEFT HANDED ie. to undo it you unscrew it (you will need a small dedicated spanner, ask dealer to supply) CLOCKWISE and not anticlockwise as you might expect.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
The simple answer to this thread is stick with calor gas bottles, but as said, there are many other ways, and the ebay thingy mentioned works fine, as long as you use two bottles, and only fill a properly emptied one to 80% capacity. If you dont fully understand this, then stick with calor bottles, which can be found most anywhere....for a price.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back