Calor gas, how does it work?

TheDeckKing

Free Member
MH
Talbot Voyager 2 coachbui
Exp
Picking up the new (to us) motorhome on Sunday. Saying we're excited is a huge understatement. Just realised that I've never dealt with gas cylinders before. The MoHo comes with a calor cylinder. Can I just take this to my nearest stockist for a refill when it runs out or do I need the original paperwork?

chaser

Funster
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
no problem as long as you have one the same, calor flogas etc .if it's calor, believe it or not but you'll find go outdoors is cheapest

OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
MH
Exp
Thanks. Sounds easy enough. We've got a Morrisons nearby that sell them or can go a little further afield to go outdoors too

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Coach Build
Exp
Good luck with the new motorhome, we've all had that "can't sleep with excitement" feeling while the clock ticks by slowly to the pickup date/time :)

homercostello

Funster
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
Make sure you have propane rather than butane thats the red bottle for propane and blue for butane propane is better as it freezes at a lower temp
and can be used in the winter.

DavidG58

Funster
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Make sure you have propane rather than butane thats the red bottle for propane and blue for butane propane is better as it freezes at a lower temp
and can be used in the winter.

but make sure the regulator matches the gas in the cylinder, typically the same colour (y)

Brisey

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
The beauty of a Gaslow system is that it can be transfered from one vehicle to another.

eddievanbitz

Trader - Funster
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
There are other systems than Gaslow.

As for making economic sense? it doesn't always, but for convenience especially if your touring around Europe where each Country has it's own bottle and regulator configuration.

Also if your less able bodied, filling at a pump is easier than lugging bottles around.

DavidG58

Funster
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think the OP might be shocked enough at paying over £20 for a 6kg Calor bottle, let alone considering several £100's more on one of the refillable options :D

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
MH
A Class Le Voyageur
Exp
since 2008
Yep, three options:

Exchange existing calor gas bottles like for like when empty. Costs the price of the gas £25 for 13kg +/-

Buy a refillable system such as Gaslow and Gasit etc and refill from LPG pumps at fuel stations. Costs £200-400 for the system but gas is about £0.75 +/- per litre. Economics depends mostly on convenience and amount of use.

Fit an underslung refillable LPG tank and refill as above. Costs £500+ If there is room underneath but frees up gas locker space and cheap LPG as above.

Horses for courses, but whatever you do, don't buy an adaptor of eBay and try to refill your calor cylinders (as some clown on the motorhome FB page recommended) as this is dangerous and contravenes health and safety regulations. Designed refillables have a safety shut off to prevent filling over 80%. The 20% ullage space above is essential for safety, effective vapour supply and expansion of the gas liquids.

Petrol station LPG is mostly propane throughout Europe and can be used at lower temperatures than butane

OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
MH
Exp
Thanks for all the advice. Think I'll stick with the calor refills to begin with and see how much we use. It's a case of how long is a piece of string at the moment.

DavidG58

Funster
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks for all the advice. Think I'll stick with the calor refills to begin with and see how much we use. It's a case of how long is a piece of string at the moment.
If you only have one bottle, keep an eye out for another, they are really hard to predict when they will empty, even with a gauge, the only sure thing is heavy rain or overnight are the most likely times to run out

if you don't have a spare bottle you will inevitably waste gas when you swap before you have run out (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Calor and other exchange cylinders are a real pain. you run out of gas at the worst possible time then have to find a local stockist where you are. or you check the contents before leaving on holiday and end up giving an unknown amount of gas back when you get a replacement. very expensive long term

fit a refillable kit and you can top up at many petrol stations before you run out. plus it just unscrews from the van to move to your next van when you upgrade. works out cheaper long term, plus the gas is so much easier to get and no heaving heavy cylinders in and out of lockers etc so safer

OP
TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing

Free Member
MH
Exp
Depending on how much we spend getting the MoHo up to scratch there may be some money left for the upgrade, but not much. What's the cheapest way to get a refillable setup with buying a dodgy adapter off eBay?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
MH
A Class Le Voyageur
Exp
since 2008
Try looking at Hamilton gas products. I would be wary of buying used unless you are sure of the age and condition. Other sellers are available of course but they do seem to be the cheapest around

Hamilton Gas Products Ltd
www.gasproducts.co.uk/

Hamilton Gas Products Ltd - Buy discount Gas Fittings, Gas Regulators, Flue Gas Analysers and Plumbing Supplies online. 5000+ Products for the gas installer ...

DavidG58

Funster
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Depending on how much we spend getting the MoHo up to scratch there may be some money left for the upgrade, but not much. What's the cheapest way to get a refillable setup with buying a dodgy adapter off eBay?
Don't be bullied into it, there are probably far more on here with standard Calor bottles than refillable systems

Those that have them tend to be the loudest advocates :D

Get the MH, use it and enjoy it (y)

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services