Free Member
May 8, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgard
Exp
I'm a newbie
For safety,I switch Calor gas cylinder OFF when on the road.
However My daughter in law will be doing the refreshment during Help for Heroes Yorkshire Peak walk next month and will only be driving a few miles between rendezvous point. Would it be OK to leave the gas cylinder in locker turned ON in between the short drive?

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Same here gas never turned off. We do have a valve that allows safe traveling with the gas on. Automatically shuts the supply off in an accident

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We always turn our off but know that other people don't.

It takes seconds to turn on or off - unless you have problems with your hands of course.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We always turn ours off -------except when I forget - we are still here !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
I always turn mine off (when I remember lol). If I forget and suddenly remember while I'm driving, I don't stress about it but do it at the next scheduled stop (if I remember!)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Always leave it on, we have the system that cuts out if in a accident.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Most of these responses really surprise me. Are you guys saying that you drive onto filling station forecourts with your fridge switched onto gas?
Stef.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Are you guys saying that you drive onto filling station forecourts with your fridge switched onto gas?

Our fridge is automatic - it decides it's own source. When we drive onto a petrol station forecourt it's obviously on 12v from the engine battery, when we switch the engine off in theory it goes to gas but in practice there is a delay before the gas lights itself by which time we've filled up and the engine is running again. But to answer your question, yes the gas is switched on. The only time it's off is if I'm filling the gas cylinders.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The only time I turn our gas off is when we are going on the Eurotunnel. ... We also have a system which is supposed to turn off automatically in an accident.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
But to answer your question, yes the gas is switched on. The only time it's off is if I'm filling the gas cylinders.

Is that a matter of choice, or advice from the cylinder manufacturer. I have Gaslow, should I be closing the valve on the cylinder prior to refilling?

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Most of these responses really surprise me. Are you guys saying that you drive onto filling station forecourts with your fridge switched onto gas?
Stef.

The fridge runs on 12v when driving, when you pull into fuel up there is a delay of about 20 minutes before it try's to light on gas.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Stef.

I reckon those not with AES fridges, yes, a somewhat scary thought, I will make sure I don't refill when a MH is on forecourt :)

Even the few minutes delay may not be enough, particularly if refilling lpg at same time, although that opens up another debate, do people really always close the valves when refilling, I don't and I am also in the drive with gas on camp

I must say though I am now more troubled by the fuel stop aspect, I think you only get 10 minutes before auto changeover, not long it if you have to queue to pay

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I always respect the opinions of my fellow Funsters, but I also listen to the advice given by others.

Although my 'fridge is an AES model, the manufacturer of my motorhome advise "During the journey, only operate the refrigerator via the 12V power supply" and "Before commencing the journey, when leaving the vehicle or when gas equipment is not in use, close all gas isolator taps and the main isolator tap on the gas bottle".

And the Caravan Club say "It is strongly recommended to switch off LPG at the cylinder prior to travel".

As much as I respect your views, on this occasion I shall follow the advice of Hymer and the CC.

Stef.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Is that a matter of choice, or advice from the cylinder manufacturer. I have Gaslow, should I be closing the valve on the cylinder prior to refilling?

I've seen this advice but cannot find it on the Gaslow site except for the direct fill bottle.. which makes sense.. :rolleyes:

.. I refilled yesterday and didn't close the outlet valves..

Yes. The instructions for filling say switch the bottles off.

do you have a copy or know where I can read.?

thanks

EDIT

just found it on the pdf instructions

IMPORTANT
Always turn OFF
cylinder valves
BEFORE filling

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!