Calor Gas Bottles (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Sorry to probably repeat questions that might have been asked before....

I have a 11.5 and a 11.6 (that's a bit weird) butane Calor bottles in the locker.
Elsewhere on this forum it appears I would benefit from swapping those to propane.
So the questions are
1) is that correct, is propane better?
2) will I find similar sized propane bottles to fit the locker?
3) Will a Calor supplier do a straight swap Butane to Propane?

Many thanks people.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
1 Yes, for winter only. (Though Butane is more calorific if using for summer only)
2 Yes
3 Unless you know them well, NO

E&OE

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Yes. It works better at low temperatures
Yes. I think 13 kg will be the nearest.
Yes. They should if bottles are similar sizes. I have done it.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Yes. It works better at low temperatures
Yes. I think 13 kg will be the nearest.
Yes. They should if bottles are similar sizes. I have done it.
Yes, Butane will not evaporate at lower temperatures. Especially as the cylinders tend to refrigerate more during evaporation.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

I have a 11.5 and a 11.6 (that's a bit weird) butane Calor bottles in the locker.
Elsewhere on this forum it appears I would benefit from swapping those to propane.
So the questions are

Many thanks people.
1) Propane is best for winter conditions (but also works in summer). Butane will give you more heat in summer for slightly less weight and cost.
2) Calor butane comes in 4.5kg, 7kg, 12kg and 15kg. You need to identify which you have.
3) Officially, 4.5kg & 7kg Butane can be swapped for either 3.9kg & 6kg Propane. 12kg (rare) and 15kg Butane can be swapped for 13kg Propane. In practice, some will let you swap outside of category and some won't even let you swap within official category. It largely depends on their general attitude and what their stocks are like.

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
Just to support the comments above, boiling point of butane is -1C and Propane is -42C hence Propane being the choice for winter use 👍

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
You are generally better off with propane but butane will not work in really cold weather
When your bottle is empty--- take it to a calor agent and say you want to swap for propane (and a regulator if needed) if they refuse --- go to another---- some will swap.

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
And the disadvantage for summer is only slight. So, if in doubt, Propane is the correct choice. However, Butane is fine for the sunseekers!
Totally, as I have a refillable underslung tank this becomes a problem for me in France in the winter as they use Propane/Butane mix compared to the UK which is just Propane

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie

So the questions are

Many thanks people.
Are the weights from actually weighing the bottles?
You need to remove the empty weight of the bottle.
The bottle weight is on a metal collar fitted around the base of the valve.

I guess you've the 7kg Butane bottles.
You can exchange on the same bottle class.
In the same bottle class are 6kg propane bottles.

edit: the 7kg Butane & 6kg propane have the same size bottle ;)

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Totally, as I have a refillable underslung tank this becomes a problem for me in France in the winter as they use Propane/Butane mix compared to the UK which is just Propane
I thought they moved to mostly Propane in the winter?

In any case, even with a mix, it will burn the Butane when it is above 0C, so you'll generally get it to work unless you're in a really cold part for a long period.

I don't recommend setting a fire under the tank.

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
thought they moved to mostly Propane in the winter?
Well for France in winter its anywhere up to 60/40 propane/butane. When in the alps skiing it could be a problem but general touring about shouldn't be an issue.
I don't recommend setting a fire under the tank
Nah, much safer to get the genny fired up and wrap it in an electric blanket....

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
It’s mixed according to season.

you may find in the winter, alpine areas will be dispensing a larger proportion of propane .

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Blue Butane has an external thread on bottle, red propane has an internal thread need to use an adaptor or change hose to regulator. (Hose to regulator should be replaced Every ? years)

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
<snip>(Hose to regulator should be replaced Every ? years)
The date is written on the rubber tube. Not sure about other materials.
At the time of writing I've forgotten if the date used there is the date to replace or to add 5yrs too :eek: sorry.

Edit: from a note in my servicing 'log' the date on the tube is when it's made. e.g. mine was made 11/2018 so I've up to 11/2023 to replace it ;)
Might go to a different material on or around then. That will get rid of the odour seep thru, tight?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Blue Butane has an external thread on bottle, red propane has an internal thread need to use an adaptor or change hose to regulator. (Hose to regulator should be replaced Every ? years)
You sure about that...if memory serves me correct both regulators are identical only one has left hand thread the other a right hand thread.. in addition butane also comes with a bayonet type fitting.
Or are my old brain cells getting hazy.😎😎

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
You sure about that...if memory serves me correct both regulators are identical only one has left hand thread the other a right hand thread.. in addition butane also comes with a bayonet type fitting.
Or are my old brain cells getting hazy.😎😎
Regulator can be used on either or mix (ie lpg) just checked calor website 4.5kg is external thread 7kg 15 kg clip on. However I am struggling to find calor do a 11kg butan as listed by op? My gas it 11kg has the external thread and needed an adaptor.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
They can't have a high butane% in winter or the lpg cars would pack up?
We filled our under slung tank wherever we needed to------ never once had a problem-------- I could see you having a problem if you filled in the summer and didn't use the lpg till the winter?

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Lpg bottles each have there own water content volume If you look along the base of a lpg bottle. There is information on this..
It takes in the weight of the empty steel/Alloy bottle, and then how much gas can be in that bottle.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi
We filled our under slung tank wherever we needed to------ never once had a problem-------- I could see you having a problem if you filled in the summer and didn't use the lpg till the winter?
Cars draw liquid fuel and heat it to vaporise, so temperature is less of a concern, except for initial starting. They have to do this, as even propane won't gas off at a high enough rate to run an engine. A similar technique can be used by some camping stoves, enabling butane to be used in very subzero temperatures at the expense of controllability (a valve on the liquid side is much less effective than one on the vapour side).

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
Hi
Well looking at the figures, a winter mix can contain up to 40% butane. If I'm in the mountains (below 0C) then I only have 60% of my tank available.
I suppose it depends on tank size too. Mine is just enough for 8 days in the mountains so I'm already looking at spending my ski money for this year on a bigger tank! 👍

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Well looking at the figures, a winter mix can contain up to 40% butane. If I'm in the mountains (below 0C) then I only have 60% of my tank available.
I suppose it depends on tank size too. Mine is just enough for 8 days in the mountains so I'm already looking at spending my ski money for this year on a bigger tank! 👍
Whenever the temperature rises, it'll start burning the butane, though, so you will burn some of it, unless it stays very cold. Your problem is that you can't keep topping it up as the remaining butane will take more and more!

One thing, though, is that butane comes in different forms with different boiling points. Isobutane is much better than the standard form with a -11C boiling point. I wonder if that forms the majority of the butane in French autogas mixes?

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
Whenever the temperature rises, it'll start burning the butane, though, so you will burn some of it, unless it stays very cold. Your problem is that you can't keep topping it up as the remaining butane will take more and more!

One thing, though, is that butane comes in different forms with different boiling points. Isobutane is much better than the standard form with a -11C boiling point. I wonder if that forms the majority of the butane in French autogas mixes?
True but I have been in places that have not managed to get above 0C so I doubt very much will boil off, maybe I've just got gas anxiety!

True, I don't believe autogas has much if any isobutane (I'm probably wrong) as its a fairly useful/profitable component in refining. I think once I have a bigger tank I can fill and forget with propane before heading over

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back