Calor centre say they won't fill up refillables (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I was refused a 'refill' by Calor Gas Centre Preston about four years ago. The only repeated reason I could obtain from the Centre and Calor Head Office was, 'It's not allowed'.
I was equiped with a Gaslow system at the time, and still am, so have been a regular customer of Morrisons for four years with no problems.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Just to confirm this was as the official Calor depot in Norwich. I'll just take my business elsewere. It's not as if their attitude is going to stop me going refillable. They just won't get my money as a customer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We filled up at morrison's a couple of weeks ago and the young lady only asked where we were going on holiday.
If you have a gas low filler pul the sticker of and it says autogas

Joe

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If I ever get turned away I won't really care. If they don't want my money I will find someone who does. Depending on my mood they will either get two fingers or a shrug.

The beauty of the gaslow/gasit system is I don't have to wait till it is empty before refilling. I lose nothing by waiting another day or two to fill up at the next station I find. There is no shortage of them about...

I have two 11KG refillables. I always start looking when the first one gets close to empty.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Copy that out and keep it on the vehicle to show the rules on refillables, should suffice as they cannot argue with the documented rules.
Done already
I can't say I have a problem anywhere except once in Croatia where they refused attendant just said sorry they only filled cars no problem just drove 1 Mile and filled up
But I must say its getting harder to find gas in uk even some of the motorway services have stopped selling gas

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
They make the bulk of their profits from selling their full bottles at super-inflated prices, no surprise that they are not interested in refillables. In Benidorm, I was paying £8.75 for a 13kg bottle. Calor in the UK charge almost 3 times that.
I stopped off in an Esso garage and asked how much a 13kg exchange would be.

£43 came the answer!!!!!!:Eeek::Eeek:

Calor charge £26 according to their web page, so a hefty hike :Eeek::Eeek:

I walked away quite shocked after politely telling the lady behind the counter what a hiked rip off that was :swear2:

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I Recently fitted a twin 11kg gasit system to our camper & yesterday put a tenners worth of Lpg in it at our local morrisons to test for leaks . As a novice i Spent some time reading instructions at the pump plus double checking adapter etc without issues from the attendents.I'll be putting morrisons in the sat nav as a poi lol.

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
Just to confirm this was as the official Calor depot in Norwich. I'll just take my business elsewere. It's not as if their attitude is going to stop me going refillable. They just won't get my money as a customer.
Have not yet gone down refillable route but intend to this year, just wondered if you knew there is a refil station in HORSFORD. From Norwich it's on the right just before you leave village and has a car cleaning business working same site.
Ray

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Have not yet gone down refillable route but intend to this year, just wondered if you knew there is a refil station in HORSFORD. From Norwich it's on the right just before you leave village and has a car cleaning business working same site.
Ray

I use this site to find LPG stations. Not sure how comprehensive it is, but it hasn't let me down so far.

http://www.filllpg.co.uk/?page=lpg.php

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
I was refused a 'refill' by Calor Gas Centre Preston about four years ago. The only repeated reason I could obtain from the Centre and Calor Head Office was, 'It's not allowed'.
I was equiped with a Gaslow system at the time, and still am, so have been a regular customer of Morrisons for four years with no problems.

Went to the Preston Calor Gas this morning. Filled my Gaslow at 42.9p. They even popped out to see if I needed help as my cap was being a pain. I have only ever used this centre as I probably only fill once per year.

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
Went to the Preston Calor Gas this morning. Filled my Gaslow at 42.9p. They even popped out to see if I needed help as my cap was being a pain. I have only ever used this centre as I probably only fill once per year.

Used to use the Preston Calor Depot years ago, but stopped after a problem with my debit card, thought something dodgy was happening and got a bit twitchy. Started using others, mainly Leyland Morrisons...never had a problem there.

Allen

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I stopped off in an Esso garage and asked how much a 13kg exchange would be.

£43 came the answer!!!!!!:Eeek::Eeek:

Calor charge £26 according to their web page, so a hefty hike :Eeek::Eeek:

I walked away quite shocked after politely telling the lady behind the counter what a hiked rip off that was :swear2:
I pretty sure the £26 is for a 6kg bottle.
No your right £20 for 6kg and and extra £6 for more than double the contents!

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Grommet,
Just looked at the website you highlighted. seems there is a gas installer and supplier two miles from me and I pass it every day on the way to work! Just spoke to him and he installs tanks in motorhomes amongst other things (underslung or in locker). He can supply lpg at 54p/l, will install any Gaslow type system I supply him with or will do a bespoke installation. Nice guy to talk to and I will be visiting him for lpg supply at least. I never knew he was there! So that is a good outcome from this thread. Oh, they are called Kelcrow in Strumpshaw.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Having read about as many arguments about LPG (on this and other Forums) that I can absorb the issue seems to be that using the word 'cylinder' or, worse, 'bottle' for vertical cylindrical tanks is the nub of the problem. For obvious reasons it has fallen into common usage so when operatives at filling stations or LPG agents are trained NOT to fill cylinders they believe they are doing the correct thing by refusing to fill Gaslow (and others) tanks. I have never been refused, or even questioned, by any filling station. I use my local Calor shop/agency, various supermarkets, HGV service stations, and a local hire vehicle concern. I've had three different vehicles all with either fixed underslung tanks (one with a road fuel LPG tank and a domestic supply tank filled through a single filler point) and with vertical cylindrical tanks. I have always used a fixed external filler on all the systems.

Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
Grommet,
Just looked at the website you highlighted. seems there is a gas installer and supplier two miles from me and I pass it every day on the way to work! Just spoke to him and he installs tanks in motorhomes amongst other things (underslung or in locker). He can supply lpg at 54p/l, will install any Gaslow type system I supply him with or will do a bespoke installation. Nice guy to talk to and I will be visiting him for lpg supply at least. I never knew he was there! So that is a good outcome from this thread. Oh, they are called Kelcrow in Strumpshaw.

Wow, thanks for that information! We're in Lingwood, the next village along, and never knew that. We'll definitely start using him for our supply, rather than trying to find somewhere en route!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I pretty sure the £26 is for a 6kg bottle.
No your right £20 for 6kg and and extra £6 for more than double the contents!

No, it's £26.25 for 13Kg and £20.25 for 6Kg according to .

Yeah just spotted that. £6 extra for more than double kgs!
When I got the van it had 2 x 6kgs fitted. On the next refill, I asked if they swop mine for 2 x 13kgs and they did at no extra cost :)

Very happy because as you've said, it's over double the contents for only an extra £6. Very happy with that :)

Reactions: GJH

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We sell Calor gas on our campsite and sell Gaslow in the Van Bitz shop

A Calor 6Kg light refill is about £23.50

At about 2.2 litres a Kilo, LPG at about £0.50 a litre a 6Kg refill would be about £6.50

You can understand Calors reluctance to encourage people buying refillable bottles lol

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
In my experience of Calor (at the depot in Seal Sands) they are extremely picky and particularly against anyone who doesn't resell Calor. (Most major national gas suppliers use Calor to refill their own branded cylinders).
Calor think they are the voice for propane and butane and think they are a cut above other suppliers but rather than consider a debate, go elsewhere. There are enough LPG sites around rather than Calor. Plus, most other places are probably cheaper per litre than Calor sites.
Spookily, I've just filled up today. My first fill since our holiday last year and if anyone can see their way to contributing towards the coist, I'd be very grateful. It was £ 6.72 and I do have the receipt to prove.
Just find an independent LPG site.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back