Calling electrical wizz-kids ... 230v sockets & fridge lost power. (1 Viewer)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
On elh doing some tidying in the motorhome with just a 2 Kw plug in heater running .. for no apparent reason the heater stopped and there was no power at any sockets.
There is still power coming into the van via elh and both the consumer unit (all trips ok) and Eloctrobloc (EBL30) are live but still no 230v at sockets or fridge.

I don't think there are any trips or fuses after the consumer unit which can cause this so am guessing it must be a faulty cable or connection somewhere.

The Alde still works on 230v & the EBL is still charging batteries.

Any suggestions for finding this fault would be much appreciated.

The moho is a 2016 Hymer T668SL

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Morning Brian. :)

Is there not a blade fuse at the EBL which covers the fridge?

I have read before where folks have removed the mains plug for the fridge from it's socket, to find corrosion on the pins. Cleaning and plugging in again has worked in some cases. Our two pin euro type plug for the fridge is in the wardrobe.

Good luck sorting it out. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Morning Brian. :)

Is there not a blade fuse at the EBL which covers the fridge?

I have read before where folks have removed the mains plug for the fridge from it's socket, to find corrosion on the pins. Cleaning and plugging in again has worked in some cases. Our two pin euro type plug for the fridge is in the wardrobe.

Good luck sorting it out. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Thanks Jock, I've checked the fridge fuses, but these are only for the 12v as far as I can see.

The 2pin mains plug for the fridge is inside the lower fridge vent and seems to be fine.

I don't think a fault on the fridge (which was turned off) would affect the 230v sockets without tripping the consumer unit. I think the fridge is probably spurred off the 230v socket circuit which is where the problem seems to lie.

Hope to see you soon :cheers: ,

Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Has the consumer unit more than one RCD? If it has, one of them may have failed. You could try tripping and resetting them all. If that doesn't work it's time to get the multimeter out. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Has the consumer unit more than one RCD? If it has, one of them may have failed. You could try tripping and resetting them all. If that doesn't work it's time to get the multimeter out. :)
Thanks John, only the one RCD which is working fine on the other circuits.

Reactions: DBK
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
One possible scenario is the 2kW heater drew more power than you normally take, and there is a bad connection that heated up, maybe lost contact when it cooled down. On my Hymer there were several mains wires from the MCB, maybe one or two not connected very well and worked loose.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
One possible scenario is the 2kW heater drew more power than you normally take, and there is a bad connection that heated up, maybe lost contact when it cooled down. On my Hymer there were several mains wires from the MCB, maybe one or two not connected very well and worked loose.
I agree and think that's the most likely cause .. just need to find it now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back