Calling all spinners Ashford Spinning Wheel Wanted (1 Viewer)

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
We have been given 5 sheeps fleeces whilst in Portugal this year. Emma wanted to have it turned into yarn, but what a job we've had trying to find someone to do this. Wanted it done in Portugal so as we could keep a story to the whole thing but couldn't find anyone that would do the whole process from cleaning-spinning. Eventually found someone in the UK, so just this last week we've been and dropped them of and are looking forward to the end result of yarn.

This has got us thinking about having a go at some spinning ourselves. We would need a wheel that we can have in the van so have looked at some new ones and the Ashford traveler and Ashford traditional have been recomended. A new one would be around the £400 mark and because we don't know how far we will go with the thing it's more than we want to spend.

So is there anyone out there that's got one sitting around that they may want to get rid of if so please do let us know.

Thanks

Shawn and Emma

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We've also been looking at this. In fact I was thinking of making one in my retirement! Have a look at the Ashford Joy wheel. Folds up quite small. More expensive but would probably store smaller than the ones you quoted.

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Hello @stevec Thanks for that. Not seen a real life Joy so to speak but yes nice and compact and expensive, both spinners we have spoken to said they'd never seen a second hand one though.

I think making one is way beyond my skills lol.

Cheers and happy spinning

Shawn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
You could try you hand spinning using a spindle. Plenty of vids on YouTube. You won't want to spin enough for a jumper but my wife knitted a hat with yarn she spun on a spindle. You will need washed and carded fleece.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back