Calling all Raspberry Pi Aficionados

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by sallylillian, Feb 13, 2019.

1. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,350
    I want to make up a Raspberry PI with the Ultimate GPS HAT, connect that to an external antenna and Bluetooth position data to a couple of tablets.
    I have bought a few parts:-
    GPS SMA Antenna 3-5V 28dB 5m (External, Active)
    Adafruit Ultimate GPS HAT Mini Kit
    Pi GPS Case (Clear) MMP-0093
    Compact Chiclet Wireless Keyboard & Optical Mouse
    Raspberry Pi 3 - Model B+
    16GB Micro SD - SanDisk Class 10 Pre-Loaded with NOOBS
    This is my first play with Raspberry but I am now reading that to distribute the position data over bluetooth maybe a problem?
    Has anyone made up a box for this task and if so may I ask for some guidance?
    Thanks
    Michael

2. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Ratings:
    +7,603
    I have two spare pi's plus bits if anyone wants them free ( I have a charity you can donate to lf you like its Papyrus not my beer fund!!!!!!)

3. Baileysbus

Baileysbus Funster

Ratings:
    +2,608
    Dammit ....... thought someone was posting a recipe about a new dessert they’d made .....:(

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it Love it x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  4. sallylillian

Ratings:
    +2,350
    I'm not doing so well so far(n)

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. DBK

DBK Funster

Ratings:
    +29,386
    I've always found Bluetooth troublesome on any device! On the Pi it took me the best part of an hour to get it to connect to a Bluetooth keyboard. :)

So sorry, can't help. :(

6. sallylillian

Ratings:
    +2,350
    I bought a 3 B+ which has an onboard Broadcom module, so I am hoping that I can get this to work.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Wouldn't a tracker do it?
    Likorlove -Vehicle Car GPS Tracker Tracking Device Mini GSM GPRS SMS Locator Global Real Time for Car Auto Vehicle Motorcycle Bycicle Scooter (2.5 * 4.6 * 5.6 cm)

8. DBK

DBK Funster

Ratings:
    +29,386
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. sallylillian

Ratings:
    +2,350
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +52,114
  11. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +38,496
    Geek heaven. My son has about 5 of them and does all sort of weird stuff...... I need lessons in switching on his TV every time I visit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +31,017
    Thanks for your confidence. However, not done anything with a raspberry pi.. My dev boards got nicked by my nephews before I got chance to play.
    So I went out and bought a load of arduino stuff which I don't think they were so keen on :p

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  13. Guigsy

Guigsy Funster

Ratings:
    +961
    What software is running on the tablets that needs GPS? Does that software have the ability to get position from an external device?

Once upon a time there were bluetooth GPS devices that transmitted their NMEA GPS data is if it was a serial connection. You might be able to get the Pi to emulate one of those... by that'd only be useful if your tablets are expecting to connect to a bluetooth GPS module.

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +32,780
    My nephew bought me a Pi 3+ and some other stuff to add to it a couple of years ago.
    He drew a line at buying me a monitor/TV with HDMI connectivity so it's all still sat in its box.

But then.... I don't make bread, I buy it ready made.
    I don't make clothes, I buy them ready made.
    I don't make computers, I buy them ready made.

15. sallylillian

Ratings:
    +2,350
    OK, what I want to achieve, but first some background. I currently run 2 10inch Android tablets in the van. One is mounted on a brodit mount for driver navigation the other is my wife's normal tablet which she uses for duplicate nav. We run CoPilot Truck and Sygic Truck on these, using the app BluetoothGPS to connect to a Garmin Glo GPS. The Glo gives us accuracy of circa 4 ft. It is internal antenna only operated so needs window sight. The accuracy has resolved the issues of in-tablet GPS where it will assume we are on the roundabout over the motorway for a simple example.
    I searched for a tri-ceiver (GPS Glonass Galileo) unit that also had an external antenna connection. The reason is that as I am putting new antenna up on the Morelo roof I will include an external GPS puck too. And there is the rub, I cannot find a tri-ceiver GPS with an external antenna connection. However the Raspberry GPS hat is such a beast so if I can get that working I can stuff it behind a cupboard and connect it to a roof puck and bluetooth stunningly accurate position data to my tablets. So in principle the Raspberry will do the job but I have never played with one before so my enquiry here was to shortcut any issues with the idea before I spend hours reinventing the wheel to find it has 30 spokes missing!

• Like it Like it x 1
  16. Guigsy

Guigsy Funster

Ratings:
    +961
    All the Bluetooth GPS receivers do is emulate a wired serial connection and send GPS data over that serial link. It looks like that GPS Hat provides data over a real UART serial connection, which is convenient. That's most of the hard bit.

What you need to find out is if you can get the Pi to pretend to be a Bluetooth client device and then pipe the data down it. Still not trivial and there are probably some gotchas on the way.

... But first I'd spend a couple of hours trying to find someone else on the internet that has already done it, or something very similar...

17. sallylillian

Ratings:
    +2,350
    Thanks sort of where I was at with post 1. Searching for someone who has done just that is not so easy as their solutions may be just what I need but the description defies searching algorithms. But I will press on, unless I find a commercially available tri-ceiver with external antenna and bluetooth. What I want is a Garmin Glo with an external antenna connection. I have always meant to play with Raspberry and if I get this to work its an interesting solution for a few other things too. Please let me have any other thoughts or solutions.

18. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +31,017
    My guess is that getting the bluetooth to work won't be the hard bit.
    The hard bit will be persuading the application to use your remote GPS device rather than the local android location services... Not sure if that is possible.
    It may be possible to persuade android to use a remote GPS device (via bluetooth). rather than the inbuilt one???

Interesting project and I would interested to hear your progress.

19. sallylillian

Ratings:
    +2,350
    Getting the Android tab to use an external GPS is easy, I do it now. There are several apps but I use Bluetooth GPS. Set Android to use Mock GPS provider which forces external GPS selection , which you can now do from the app, and it transfers immediately. In the app you can select the BT GPS provider and I use that to switch between GPS units and then look at sats being received and accuracy. So the only issue will be can I get the NMEA data spewing forth from the Raspberry bluetooth?
    This may be the key?
    https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ultimate-gps-hat-for-raspberry-pi/use-gpsd

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. tonyl

tonyl Funster

Ratings:
    +214
    I don't know much about Bluetooth really but, if you are interested in that level of accuracy, it would be worth trying to estimate and later measure the overall latency of the system. If you are travelling at 100kph, for example, that's 28 metres/second or 2.8 cm per millisecond, so your accuracy of 4' (120 cm) will be completely gobbled up in just over 40 milliseconds. Other speeds are available!

I expect the BT link would be the main factor contributing to the system delay, though again I don't really know. I suppose if you are currently using a BT system, you are already suffering from that delay and the only extra would be processing delays in the Pi, which should be minimal.