Calling all MoHomers with air suspension. (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
As I said in my previous post, I considered the money spent on the air suspension very well spent, my MH being a slab sided A class would be sucked and blown about by coaches / trucks especially on motorways,

On a long run it would be very tiring both physically and mentally keeping as much a gap as I could from the overtaking heavies,since I fitted the air suspension I can relax and enjoy the trip,

I can honestly say it's transformed the handling, plus on top of that corners and pot holes are less of a problem giving a much softer and quieter ride,

Of all the mods I have done to my MH without doubt the air suspension is the one that I wouldn't be without!
My chassis is an Alko low line torsion bar with only 15000 miles on it when brought so unlikely to be badly worn, and when I fitted the air suspension I carefully check over the suspension and found no wear or movement where it shouldn't be,:thumb:
Shock absorbers and tyres were in good order as well even though I fitted Michelin agilis to replace the ageing Michelin camping X,

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Air assistance comes into its own when the leaf springs are "tired" and almost sitting on their bump stops. You have the option of replacing the springs with new or fitting air assistance. I chose the latter because it gave me the additional facility of being able to lift the rear of the vehicle for ferry embarkation. Prior to fitting, the handling on roundabouts was abysmal. So in my opinion it was definitely not a waste of money.

I'd agree. Leaf springs are very old school technology, and need something more than a damper to give a positive yet comfortable ride. If I had leaf springs I would definitely be spending the cash. That said I do think the control systems are a little Heath Robinson. They could do with a simple control lever (like a Citroen) or a pre-programmed system like many modern cars.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
As I said in my previous post, I considered the money spent on the air suspension very well spent, my MH being a slab sided A class would be sucked and blown about by coaches / trucks especially on motorways,

On a long run it would be very tiring both physically and mentally keeping as much a gap as I could from the overtaking heavies,since I fitted the air suspension I can relax and enjoy the trip,

I can honestly say it's transformed the handling, plus on top of that corners and pot holes are less of a problem giving a much softer and quieter ride,

Of all the mods I have done to my MH without doubt the air suspension is the one that I wouldn't be without!
My chassis is an Alko low line torsion bar with only 15000 miles on it when brought so unlikely to be badly worn, and when I fitted the air suspension I carefully check over the suspension and found no wear or movement where it shouldn't be,:thumb:
Shock absorbers and tyres were in good order as well even though I fitted Michelin agilis to replace the ageing Michelin camping X,

My old MH had 6000 miles, was low-line, but it was very much as you described and TBH was really :Eeek: challenging; I always had to maintain a constant alert for high sided vehicles and anticipate how the vehicle would react. I had new tyres fitted but this only reduced road noise and made no difference to handling. It had the 15" wheels so I think this was a light chassis i.e. not a maxi ducato with an alko heavy chassis.

On wide motorhomes the wheels always look to be deep into the vehicle which surely can't help the handling either?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
[That said I do think the control systems are a little Heath Robinson. They could do with a simple control lever (like a Citroen) or a pre-programmed system like many modern cars.[/QUOTE]

I would agree except a dedicated pump and control run would cost money add weight and complexity,
but my valve block is easily accessed and is checked for the correct pressure before setting off, with a basic foot pump it takes less than30 sec to increase pressure but is rarely needed except for boarding ferries once in a blue moon,
( I like to travel at night) ::bigsmile:

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Air Suspension

Now on the Loire and have used the Air Suspension. Initially ran at 4bar which gave a much softer ride and as someone one said the van was much quieter. Pumped it it to 5 and a bit for loading onto ferry. No need, Ferry very quiet and drove straight onto main lorry deck. Came off and then drive for 6 hours with suspension at 5 and a bit. No noticeable difference but I think overall the van is much more stable with the air. I have found this van at lot more solid on the road than my previous A class Rapido anyway. So I think it's very much do your own thing. My initial reason for the Air was for on and off ferries but I think there is a bonus with a better ride.

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Air Suspension

Has anyone had air suspension fitted to alko TAG axle, the hadling on mine is good just the ride a bit harsh, especially on UK roads:Sad:

I know it can be fitted but at about £2500 its a lot, just wondering if its a worthwile investment?

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Has anyone had air suspension fitted to alko TAG axle, the hadling on mine is good just the ride a bit harsh, especially on UK roads:Sad:

I know it can be fitted but at about £2500 its a lot, just wondering if its a worthwile investment?

HOW MUCH? Bloody hell!!!!!!
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
Suspension question

Hi,
Our instruction book says minimum 10, max 100.
We are farily well loaded and set it on 60, and it drives fine.

Hope this helps.
Kelso

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I just upped the pressure in mine from 40 to 50 psi. We are off today onto windy A roads through Cornwall and Devon, and I don't like the way it is so roley poley in the corners. Hopefully this will stiffen it up a bit.

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
Dunlop AS on Al Ko

This is specific to the system and the chassis. I needed a new air spring and got this advice yesterday from the incredibly helpful Steve at Marcle Leisure.

For all normal use run at 70 psi (4.82633 bar according to my app). Up it to 100 psi if you need extra height to get on or off a ferry.

If van is parked up for several weeks it is sensible to reduce pressure to 5psi minimum. Never use the vehicle without pressure or the springs will be irreparably damaged.

On the matter of whether AS is a good thing, I was amazed at the deterioration in the handling when the air spring went. Our first van didn't have AS and it was like driving a brick. The first owner of our current van had AS fitted and I am profoundly grateful.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back