Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Here are some photographs of the underside of the pick up bed showing the mounting plates.

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

I hope that helps.

Now if only I can get an avatar loaded ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Rob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. well it seems to me it needs brackets as in yours Rob . i would like to see a bit bigger bracket with two fixing on each brk to chassis. i think it needs to go back to the ones who fitted it and tell them what a poor fixing arangement they have used. as i said earlier its not the first time i,ve seen /heard of this being a problem. hope you get it sorted as when alls ok you cant beat a 5er for getting around.cheers alan

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
hi. well it seems to me it needs brackets as in yours Rob . i would like to see a bit bigger bracket with two fixing on each brk to chassis. i think it needs to go back to the ones who fitted it and tell them what a poor fixing arangement they have used. as i said earlier its not the first time i,ve seen /heard of this being a problem. hope you get it sorted as when alls ok you cant beat a 5er for getting around.cheers alan

Normally that would be the case Alan, there would be a centre bracket with 2 bolts to chassis and 2 to the mounting rails. You can just see part of the grey bracket which is the gooseneck bracket previously fitted onto which the reese mounting rails have been additionally bolted.

IMG_0592.jpg

This shows the release lever for the gooseneck.

Rob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Thanks again for providing super technical info. piccys etc. I find it awesome that we are able to communicate in this way . Instant analysis from concerned informed helpful folks this is the first time i have joined either of the 2 forum clubs and without doubt i am hugely impressed . Its a very comforting thought that if you are in a mess someone out there can and will help ::bigsmile: Once i have my digital camera onboard i will show my 5th wheel attachments my brother took some pictures for me of the damage which i shall attempt to post with this .Bye and ta again Alan-GIBLA FAILED!!!! i need to see the idiots guide to post photos. again

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Damage to Nissan Navara

:Smile:tried againLink Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i hope you are going to kick some ones arse for that?if you lived closer i would give you an engineers report ,may be worth trying to get one at your end. looks like pickup tub has moved. its not the first i,ve seen .was the hitch fitted by calder?un fortunately its like the clutch i dont think the euro pickups are man enough for the job. sorry to put it like that. i do think the damage could have been avoided with heavy anchorage to chassis. hope it gets fixed for you. let us know how you get on please . i,ll keep my fingers crossed for you. cheers alan.

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Hi
The photos are revealing.............without the underside photographs to support conclusions then one of the following may well be the cause.

1. The cab has been flexed by the chassis rails, but not equally, causing the kinking in the upright area of the back of the cab. This could be due to the hitch plate being attached more securely to one chassis rail as compared to the other.

2. The mounting rails are not equally aligned on the chassis rails relative to the rear axle causing a longitudinal flexing inbalance which would lead to unequal flexing in the cab upright.

3. The pick up bed is being forced against the back of the cab as it is providing the only support/mounting for the hitch.

Would be useful to know which hitch you are using and also if there is any signs of damage to the RHS or signs of impact between the pick up and the cab rear.

If I can help further let me know.

Rob

chaswb100

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
Brentwood,Essex
Funster No
MH
5er
Exp
2 Years
Just bought a KountryLite Bunkhouse, great space and toys after 6 years of European motorhomes we fulltime largely abroad in the winter so are delighted with a bit of room for a change. Problems with the tow-truck a 2007 Nissan Navara Outlaw only 8000miles we have only towed with this for about 500 miles since buying our new set up. Problem 1 smoking clutch when doing any low speed manouevre -seems a Nissan weakness reading other forums hopefully can get done under warranty. Problem 2 Upright behind passenger rear doublecab appears to have creased/buckled which has only showed up after towing . Buckling not exterior striking damage can anyone enlighten me or relate anything similar . After reading this and lots of other forums i am increasingly coming to the conclusion that the Nissan is not up to it , Ford F150 is maybe the way to go. Enough of this the sun is now out --better things to do :Cool:

Hi,
Sorry to jump on this late - just got back from stay in our Kountrylite on our seasonal pitch.No wi-fi so have to catch up.

See my post 'New Kountrylite - New Clutch' .The new Clutch & software is a big improvement.Our Navara handles the weight of the Kountrylite no problem - much better than with the original clutch.It's just tight on trainweight for us fulltiming.If you have no joy with your dealer (this is an offical Nissan Upgrade),let me know & I'll give you the number and who to speak to at mine.

Can't help with regard to the buckling but that seems to be in good hands already.

Hope this helps - Chas

Deleted User
Just bought a KountryLite Bunkhouse, great space and toys after 6 years of European motorhomes we fulltime largely abroad in the winter so are delighted with a bit of room for a change. Problems with the tow-truck a 2007 Nissan Navara Outlaw only 8000miles we have only towed with this for about 500 miles since buying our new set up. Problem 1 smoking clutch when doing any low speed manouevre -seems a Nissan weakness reading other forums hopefully can get done under warranty. Problem 2 Upright behind passenger rear doublecab appears to have creased/buckled which has only showed up after towing . Buckling not exterior striking damage can anyone enlighten me or relate anything similar . After reading this and lots of other forums i am increasingly coming to the conclusion that the Nissan is not up to it , Ford F150 is maybe the way to go. Enough of this the sun is now out --better things to do :Cool:

Sorry but two points of damage look very much like jacknife damage to me, lots of people tow with Navarra's and other Euro pickups, including myself. These vehicles are supposedly built as commercial vehicles and even with the Kountrylite are operating within their design parameters, if only just.I hope that you do not have major problems with the coupling.

havenpasture

Free Member
Aug 18, 2008
Just outside Bridgnorth
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler
Exp
5 years
Chipping a Navara D40

Hi,

I have a KountryLite 26RK with a Navara D40 auto. I was at the Malvern show last week and spoke to two of the stands selling 'chips' - both of the sales guys said that you could not chip the D40 engine as Nissan have already got all they could out of it.

One of the salesmen said that he could supply a 'box' that went in line with the injectors and that would do the business - the other salesman said that he could supply the same but not to bother as all they do is to chuck far to much fuel into the pots with undesirable results on engine life and fuel consumption! This particular salesman used to work for Nissan, and as he did an 'anti-sell', I trust him!

So, it appears that it's not 'chips with everything'!

Anybody got any comments?

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
i have not got around to installing mine yet but DTE chip which is highly recommended on the Nissan Navara owners website is meant to increase power,torque,decrease mpg. All comments favourable it seems to be an excellent addition to what in standard form struggles when towing the KL especially uphill . I think quite a few other members on this forum have done similar upgrades not for the boy-racer thing but to give a bit more torque . Alan

OP
OP
Jackomet
Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
5th wheel mount

Alan,
Was the hitch put on by Calder? If so they definately mount it to the chassis via brackets at 4 points plus 4 more via the truck bed. BTW mines an Auto so no problems at low speed turning etc. and the Navara when chipped is man enough for my set up.
Rgds
JK

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Just to give a reply Alex (Calder) has just berated me for not replying or giving the whole picture. The 5ver is secured fully and securely to bed and chassis and my damage has been done by jacknifing, he has not paid me to say this....ouch ???? kicked up the backside . DTE chip installed - Wow what a difference . Just as a last ramble the new double slide looks very impressive i'm green with envy ah well maybe one day ! Alan

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Just to give a reply Alex (Calder) has just berated me for not replying or giving the whole picture. The 5ver is secured fully and securely to bed and chassis and my damage has been done by jacknifing, he has not paid me to say this....ouch ???? kicked up the backside . DTE chip installed - Wow what a difference . Just as a last ramble the new double slide looks very impressive i'm green with envy ah well maybe one day ! Alan

So you can get cab strike with a Euro set up...............NASTY :Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

Make mine standard or long bed US any day.

So, come on...............How did it happen?

Rob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would have thought all 5ers can hit the cab if you jacknife enough. but it must have been clear to the driver what happened .we were given the impression the bed moved. must have almost been a closed knife. cheers alan.

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
i would have thought all 5ers can hit the cab if you jacknife enough. but it must have been clear to the driver what happened .we were given the impression the bed moved. must have almost been a closed knife. cheers alan.

I can get mine beyond 90 degrees should I wish to, in fact the biggest danger in that situation is pulling the tyres off from lateral movement.

I agree Alan, I do not believe that you could have a cab strike without knowing about it. It was my biggest concern initially, hence why Mrs C was booted out of the truck come rain or shine in order to watch. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And before you ask, yes I am still paying for doing that to her.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Rob

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
I can get mine beyond 90 degrees should I wish to, in fact the biggest danger in that situation is pulling the tyres off from lateral movement.

I agree Alan, I do not believe that you could have a cab strike without knowing about it. It was my biggest concern initially, hence why Mrs C was booted out of the truck come rain or shine in order to watch. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And before you ask, yes I am still paying for doing that to her.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Rob

Bully!:ROFLMAO:

Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Debs

I thought it would be good to forewarn you of what may be to come once you have your rig::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Not long now eh?

Bet you cannot wait.

Rob

:ROFLMAO: Thanks Rob. Tony has had his HGV1 for 15 years , if he so much as puts a scratch on My Wildcat he'll be in trouble!:ROFLMAO:

Time seems to be dragging. But we are off to Zante 1st Oct for 2 weeks so i can get some quad bike training in!:RollEyes:

Was able to buy 2 x Spanish Gas Bottles on ebay last week which was a result. How you getting on with your unit?

Debs

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
:ROFLMAO: Thanks Rob. Tony has had his HGV1 for 15 years , if he so much as puts a scratch on My Wildcat he'll be in trouble!:ROFLMAO:

Time seems to be dragging. But we are off to Zante 1st Oct for 2 weeks so i can get some quad bike training in!:RollEyes:

Was able to buy 2 x Spanish Gas Bottles on ebay last week which was a result. How you getting on with your unit?

Debs

Hi Debs

The unit is going well, we have three short trips back to back, starting tomorrow,which will see us out and about in the UK. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Have found the Big Pitch Guide invaluable. Now if only I can sort the weather out :Doh::Doh:.....bet it rains.
The unit is fabulous, it has stored well, yet again, tows beautifully, I decided to test out my tow haul mode again, so went down one f the steepest hills in the Cotswolds in tow mode and in 1st gear on auto box, never touched the brakes once, and before you ask No I did not hit loads of walls on the way down :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Every time I tow with my F250 my respect for it increases.
I bet your 2500 Chevy/GMC will be the same.

Will catch up when back.

Regards to you both.

Rob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ,i can jacknife mine in reverse n turn it round on a two lane road .the tyres do very nearly leave the rims .knocks a few miles of the tread . mine goes well past 90degre good for parkig in tight spots reverse in and leave it jacked ,fits 3 carspaces lovelly. leaving outside the door as a picnic area. cheers alan.

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
REPLATING UPGRADE for a Navara has been passed so good news for all of the above -yippee Alan

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, nice one .let us know what how you have done .many others would be gratefulli,m sure. cheers alan.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
REPLATING UPGRADE for a Navara has been passed so good news for all of the above -yippee Alan

Would you please elaborate.:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there is a 5er on ebay with a spoiler on the roof of pickup. no..25027920196.

OP
OP
Jackomet
Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Alex at Calder has had the Navara re-tested and now has a max train weight of 6,500 Kgs. He is going to send out new plates when he has the paperwork sorted.
So now our KL's are 3,600 kgs and TW 6,500 kgs. legal max is 8.250 kgs IIRC.
JK

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Alex at Calder has had the Navara re-tested and now has a max train weight of 6,500 Kgs. He is going to send out new plates when he has the paperwork sorted.
JK

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

chaswb100

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
Brentwood,Essex
Funster No
MH
5er
Exp
2 Years
JK

Sorry, what is 8250 kgs? - Chas

chaswb100

Free Member
Oct 18, 2008
Brentwood,Essex
Funster No
MH
5er
Exp
2 Years
Chas

8250 Kgs is the MAM according to the C1+E Licence entitlement, pre 1997 IIRC

HTH

Rob

Thanks for that.
But the max allowed weight of Navara + Kountrylite can be no higher than the replated 6500 kgs Trainweight?
The 8250 is only what you could tow if your trainweight allows?

Chas

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back