Calais (1 Viewer)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We didn't bother, parked up in Cite D'Europe car park and had a lovely burger and fries in the shopping centre. Less than €20 for two fab mushroom and Swiss burgers, two fries and a milkshake. Loads of other eateries to choose from...the view from the car park isn't as pretty as the sea though.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
You could still get along the front in May with a motorhome, in fact a few of them looked like they had been overnighting. Things might have changed though, they can close that particular road off for motorhomes with a hinged height barrier.

Pete

cal1.JPG cal2.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
Because the new aire isn't near anything?

Despite several warnings on here and mainstream media about Calais, why people would still risk wild parking around that area is beyond me.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
So the one near Au Cote d'Argent is closed... Ok, and a new one is just down the road. We will be gettng there about 10:00pm local... Is there barrier on the new aire? Or shall we park at Cite D'Europe, just for an overnight, leaving early the following day

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So the one near Au Cote d'Argent is closed... Ok, and a new one is just down the road. We will be gettng there about 10:00pm local... Is there barrier on the new aire? Or shall we park at Cite D'Europe, just for an overnight, leaving early the following day
Ten o clock at night, cite Europe no contest, five mins from train to parked(y)(y)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Cite D'Europe. We did this last week, arrived at midnight, very quiet. Supermarket opens at 9 so good for stocking up before you go. Plenty of other vans around and a police station nearby :) BTW the Carrefour is mahoosive. I doubt you would get a space at Gravelines at that time of night anyway.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Cite D'Europe. We did this last week, arrived at midnight, very quiet. Supermarket opens at 9 so good for stocking up before you go. Plenty of other vans around and a police station nearby :) BTW the Carrefour is mahoosive. I doubt you would get a space at Gravelines at that time of night anyway.
In addition, a newish fuel station including lpg and a Bourne for motorhome.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
On our way back at the end of July, we wanted to call in at the "Friterie des Nations", and to check out the new campsite next to the new aire (for my son). The large car park at the western end of Digue Gaston Berthe had the height barriers open, and several motorhomes parked. We joined them, and considered overnighting, but we went on to Cité Europe for other reasons. I don't know whether the height barriers are going to be left open? It occurred to us that maybe Calais authorities recognise that the new aire is insufficient for the needs of the many motorhomes visiting the town - it holds 20? but we've seen over five times that at the old aire (well, including when they opened up the car park next to it to motorhomes!)
Calais beach font is an under-appreciated location: the beach is fantastic, the "buzz" can be great, and there are food outlets to suit every taste and pocket. (I'm particularly pleased that the Côte d'Argent has survived the disruption)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Despite several warnings on here and mainstream media about Calais, why people would still risk wild parking around that area is beyond me.

Personally I've not seen a "warning" anywhere I'd give the slightest credence to.

Seen a great deal of uninformed scaremongering though (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Another option is the Marina. I believe you can still overnight there.

Deleted User
10 pm is past my bedtime, park up and give it some of them ZZ's:)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
10pm isn't that late.

I'd give it half an hour in whatever direction you're heading and then find somewhere.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you posted that it was in Calais there would immediately be about 12 threads started with people in a blind panic imploring everyone not to go anywhere near the place because of the hordes of crocodiles attacking British motorhomes (y)
Ah but they do ... they're 'migrant' crocodiles, aka known as thieves, who nick bikes off the rack ... although I hasten to add that not all 'migrant' crocodiles are thieves! :whistle:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've going to give the aire are Berges stade a try this time, about 40 mins from Coquelles.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We've going to give the aire are Berges stade a try this time, about 40 mins from Coquelles.

Don't arrive at 10pm though, it is very popular, we have had trouble finding a space even at 4pm. The official capacity is given as 20 but it holds twice that number. Bergues also has a site where we stopped once, but in my view it's not as convenient as the aire (of course it's not free either).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We should get there about 7.30 pm French time, so hopefully will get on okay and have tea, then a potter with the doggles!

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
Why whats to be afraid of? BUSBY,,
Mark my words, one day somebody will be pulled from their MoHo in Calais and will sit helpless as it drives off. I'll be making sure it's not me.

I have friends who are international truckers and they have had dealings in that area for many years. They have said people are getting far more aggressive now.

It's only a matter of time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back