Calais Wine to Close from January (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
For those who usually stock up with wine to/from France Calais Wines have announced due to the return of restrictions on the limits of bringing Alcohol back into the UK from January 1st they are closing down at the year end.
Always buy mine Lidle anyway.
Last I read,may have been fake news but there would hardly be any restriction..BUSBY.

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
As long as you only want to bring back two cases or less of wine.

HM Treasury https://www.gov.uk/government/news/duty-free-extended-to-the-eu-from-january-2021 so no not fake news.
18 litres of wine, read further down the article.

Further information
The post-transition passengers VAT and excise consultation was launched at Spring Budget 2020 and closed in May.

UK excise duty will no longer be due on alcohol and tobacco bought when leaving GB. For example, alcohol purchased duty-free on the way to the EU could be up to:

• Ā£2.23 cheaper for a 75cl bottle of wine.
  • Ā£2.86 cheaper for a 75cl bottle of Champagne or Prosecco.
  • Ā£2.28 cheaper for six 50cl cans of 4% ABV beer.
  • Ā£11.50 cheaper for a 1l bottle of 40% ABV spirits.
New GB inbound personal allowances specified below. For example, someone will be able to bring three crates of beer, two cases of still wine and one case of sparkling wine to GB without paying UK duties.

Alcohol
  • 42 litres of beer
  • 18 litres of still wine
  • 4 litres of spirits OR 9 litres of sparkling wine, fortified wine or any alcoholic beverage less than 22% ABV

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
As long as you only want to bring back two cases or less of wine.

I always thought that a case of wine was 6 bottles,
ie 6 x 0.75 litres = 4.5 litres,
Two cases = 9 litres
Four cases = 18 litres

So are the "two cases", quoted below in red, in reality 12 bottle cases ? or am I reading it wrong?

New GB inbound personal allowances specified below. For example, someone will be able to bring three crates of beer, two cases of still wine and one case of sparkling wine to GB without paying UK duties.

Alcohol

• 42 litres of beer
  • 18 litres of still wine
  • 4 litres of spirits OR 9 litres of sparkling wine, fortified wine or any alcoholic beverage less than 22% ABV

Also if it is a "personal" allowance, does that mean myself AND my wife bring back 18 litres each ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
erm 18 Litres of wine = 24 Bottles ie 2 Cases or 4 half cases of 6 bottles

Anyway the post was about that store shutting down which is a shame used to buy a lot of New Zealand wine from their much cheaper than over here.

Being able to bring back less wine is a whole different conversation ;-)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

Anyway the post was about that store shutting down which is a shame used to buy a lot of New Zealand wine from their much cheaper than over here.

You learn something new every day, I thought a case was 6 bottles too.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

And why canā€™t we ( post 1st January) buy from the winery in New Zealand at the same price?

It just needs a bit of taxation adjustment

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
And why canā€™t we ( post 1st January) buy from the winery in New Zealand at the same price?

Buying isn't the problem, the level of duty on wine purchased in the UK is though.

A bottle of still wine in the UK of average strength has Ā£2.68 of duty on it where as the same bottle in France only has 3p per bottle so for a case of 12 bottles that's a price difference of Ā£32.

Still thats cheaper than Finland or Ireland ;-)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Buying isn't the problem, the level of duty on wine purchased in the UK is though.

A bottle of still wine in the UK of average strength has Ā£2.68 of duty on it where as the same bottle in France only has 3p per bottle so for a case of 12 bottles that's a price difference of Ā£32.

Still thats cheaper than Finland or Ireland ;-)

Thats why the second line of my post was there(y)

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Traditionally a case is a dozen bottles but modern parlance often means just six.
Was told by a wine merchant many years ago a ā€˜caseā€™ is twelve bottles for wine, six bottles for fortified wine (port etc.) and champagne. It seems it has become fashionable to describe six bottles of wine as a case, possibly easier to market?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Just think about the Carbon Miles

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
What about items bought and the duty paid in France? So it's not 'duty' free as tax has been paid in the country of purchase?

Or is there duty or import tax to be paid?

I doubt it will affect us as 18 litres of wine EACH is much more than we have ever brought back !!

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
What about items bought and the duty paid in France? So it's not 'duty' free as tax has been paid in the country of purchase?

Or is there duty or import tax to be paid?

I doubt it will affect us as 18 litres of wine EACH is much more than we have ever brought back !!
Pre-EU it was possible to buy goods in France duty free from retailers who were authorised and prepared to handle the paper work, as do some retailers in London for non EU visitors. I seem to recall some Tabacs in Calais offering the service. Goods on boats were from bonded stock, hence not available until 3 miles out.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
POUNDLAND !!! Watch out its coming near you..
Just been in my local which is about 500mtrs away here in Cannock..
3ltr box of white wine in the fridge for Ā£5. 4 x 500ml Guiness Ā£4.50 (y)

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
[QUOTE="Also if it is a "personal" allowance, does that mean myself AND my wife bring back 18 litres each ?
[/QUOTE]

That was always the case previously. The allowance is per person, not per vehicle. Sadly, my dog doesnā€™t qualify! šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
do we know what the spirit allowance is? i do like my Spanish brandy!
  • 4 litres of spirits OR 9 litres of sparkling wine, fortified wine or any alcoholic beverage less than 22% ABV. PER PERSON!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You can always nip back on the next ferry for a top-up! šŸ˜šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£
Oh yes the days of the booze cruise a Ā£1 on P&O and a fiver with the car, done a few of them.

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
I don't remember any of this being on the side of that red bus, or am I supposed to keep listening to all that good advice that has been inserted into my head for the last 4 years. e.g. They will never do that, they wan't our money too much, Fake news, scaremonger, S--t stirrer and a lot more. I have quietly listened to it all, I have had it on here a few times, most of "those people " have strangely gone very silent recently for some reason, but there a few still shouting, and will probably carry on shouting or making it someone else's fault in there little minds but I for one think I can finally get some satisfaction from this. It's all coming true. 200 cigarettes, 90 days in Europe, that's long Motorhome tours gone for most, and you have to admit a few retirement plans gone up in smoke. What a joke. I am very pleased that many of you have found a way of laughing it off and I am very pleased that you can, but I thought that it was fine before, we could roam as we pleased, load the garage with wine beer and ciggy's, It all looked good to me, maybe a chat with the EU about out immigration arrangement could have done it without going through all this. Well I wish us all well with our new arrangements, If only we could find out what they ALL are in total, rather than a few each week. I have just bought a puppy Shih-Tzu cause it was driving me mad not having a little dog in our lives after our second one died 6 weeks ago but still don't know what type of Pet Passport we will get, even DEFRA can't tell me. They have applied for Part 1 listing, If the EU are feeling generous we might get it, then we will have a UK Pet Passport, If not, Loads more cost and aggro and being treated like second class citizens with our designated lanes to queue in.
Well Happy days, one day.
Let me have a rant, it makes me feel better, after all it's supposed to be a free country, For now. Don't bother to send me vile abuse or any little well used ( worn out ) little sayings, I have heard them multiple times and they cut no ice with me. Also I have not pointed a finger or named anyone so I am not being political ( Jim. Kind regards. )
WE will find a way to enjoy this new lifestyle of ours and I am sure it, like the Virus, ( No comments please ), it will be our new normal. Can't wait!!! Bruce

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
If only it were as simple as that, or am I missing something? PS I have the Govt. weekly updates, Handy if you are an Ex Pat living in the EU.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back