Aire: LAMOTTE-BEUVRON (3*) ADDRESS: NEXT TO CANAL, off RN20
TEL:02 54 88 84 85 FAX: 02 54 88 84 83
TYPE OF AIRE: MUNICIPAL FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN/ TOILETS
LOCATION: URBAN/ CANALSIDE NO. OF SPACES: 5
PARKING: FREE SERVICES: FREE
OPENING TIMES: ALL YEAR
GPS COORDS: N47.59778 E02.02556
DIRECTIONS: From ORLEANS take N20 SOUTH 40kms to LAMOTTE-BEUVRON. Continue thru the town & turn LEFT to AIRE after crossing river bridge.
SITE DESCRIPTION The aire is situated in a pleasant location next to the canal & the river under the shade of mature trees & with lighting at night, 300m south of the town centre. There is a small grass area adjacent as well as a play area, benches & boules pitch. Artisanal service point but no drainage grid, toilets nearby. Good selection of shops & supermarket in town.
1) A fairly pleasant location, next to the old Canal de la Sauldre in town but also within earshot of the main RN20 through the town, about 150m away, although the traffic noise is not too intrusive. Basic service point with no grey drainage grid -- hose required. Good walks along the canal -- GR31 passes the aire.
2) "On the banks of the canal, a nice stopover where one can stay free in peaceful surroundings, shaded by large trees. On site an artisanal borne, toilets, play area, fishing & boules." CAMPING-CAR MAGAZINE
Aire: FORGES-LES-EAUX (3*) ADDRESS: OUTSIDE CAMPSITE,BVD NICOLAS THIESSE, OFF ROUTE D'ARGUEIL
DIRECTIONS: From ROUEN take N31 EAST & turn NORTH onto D921 @ LA FEUILLIE. Take D921 (RTE D'ARGUEIL) to FORGES, as you enter town turn 1st LEFT into BVD NICOLAS THIESSE & then LEFT again after 300m into AIRE.
SITE DESCRIPTION: The aire is located at the southern edge of town, backing onto farmland, in a large tarmac car park opposite the entrance to the municipal campsite "La Miniere". A quiet location but lacking in shade & being about 900m to the centre of town (good variety of shops/ eating places) -- no amenities near to the aire. Artisanal borne.
1) CAMPING CAR MAGAZINE RECOMMENDED : "A superb aire in a green location - quiet with parking on tarmac."
2) A very good aire outside the "La Miniere" campsite & not too far to the town centre -- we had bikes though. There is a small play area adjacent for the kids with picnic tables provided, a very quiet spot. There is a good cycle route along the old railway line between Forges-les-Eaux & Saint Aubin le Cauf. NOTE: Parking is not allowed at the aire for more than 48 hours; someone does come round to check! It is also free from October to March when the campsite is closed.
3) "Bordered by floral displays with 40 spaces, this aire is lit at night & under surveillance for security. Picnic tables & play area." RECOMMENDED CAMPING-CAR MAGAZINE
In between the two mentioned above we have, on a couple of occasions, used the ex camping municipal aire at La Chapelle Saint Mesmin, near Orleans. This is on the side of the Loire at 47 53' 7" and 2 50' 22"E. Cost is 5€ per night and includes all services + wifi., payable at the entry barrier by credit / debit card only. As there is virtually no passing traffic, it is a very peaceful site.
Aire: LA CHAPELLE ST MESMIN (4*) ADDRESS: CHEMIN DES FOURNEAUX
TEL: 02 38 22 12 54 FAX:
TYPE OF AIRE: MUNICIPAL FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN/ ELECTRIC
LOCATION: URBAN/ RIVERSIDE NO. OF SPACES: 25
PRICES/ RATES: CREDIT CARD
PARKING: 5€ /24HRS, 8€/ 48 SERVICES: INCL
OPENING TIMES: ALL YEAR
GPS COORDS: N47.88549 E01.83961
DIRECTIONS: Exit A71 @ Jcn 1.In town, follow signs for CHATEAU. AIRE is adjacent.
SITE DESCRIPTION A private aire located on the south side of this small town & on the banks of the Loire within sight of the town's chateau. The aire is a conversion of the old municipal campsite into an aire with over 20 large (60m2), level spaces on grass, most with shade & ehu's. Lighting at night. The aire is not far from the town centre where there are bakeries, pharmacies, supermarket with petrol station, cafe bars, book shop, banks, butcher.Weekly market on Saturday morning. Artisanal service point with drainage grid.
REVIEW: An excellent municipal aire formed from the town campsite, on the banks of the Loire with walks/ cyclepath adjacent plus play area, mini golf & picnic tables. A quiet location yet not far from the town's services. Tariff includes electricity.
This afternoon (Tuesday) we have tried to go on the aire at La Chapelle St. Mesmin and it is now closed. Cars can still access the area under the fixed barrier, but the lifting barrier for the over-height vehicles has barriers either side.
What now, we thought and, because we are heading north, selected the aire at Bonneval. Bad choice again, if we had wanted any facilities. There is no sign of a borne, but there is some work going on in the area so perhaps it is "work in progress". I will try to speak to somebody in Tourist Information tomorrow morning. It is a pleasant parking area though.