Sep 28, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA 765
Exp
Since 2006
Hello All,
Up untill last week we were heading for the Med for 3 weeks in August. At some point my lovely wife decided she'd prefer Lake Garda instead, so after some debate, thats where we're going::bigsmile:. Anyway I've Done the journey before and only used the Autoroutes. This time I fancy the Belgium Luxembourg route to avoid the tolls. I'm looking to do it in 3 or 4 days. Has anyone been that way and got any tips?
Regards
Cam.

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Hi Folks travelled down the rhine last year then onto munich/innsbruck & over the austrian alps fantastic trip didn't use any toll roads down to garda a holiday in itself cheers Rod:thumb:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi Folks travelled down the rhine last year then onto munich/innsbruck & over the austrian alps fantastic trip didn't use any toll roads down to garda a holiday in itself cheers Rod:thumb:

Hi Rod,
How long to Garda?
Any actual route suggestions?
My management making Garda noises also.
Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
We're not planning on venturing abroad just yet, but when we do Lake Garda will be high on the list of likely destinations, so this thread (and the responses received) will be of great interest.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We travelled down to Garda a year or two ago with some other Funsters.
Leg 1 Calais to Metz
Leg 2 Metz to Luzern
Leg 3 Luzern to Peschiera del Garda

I think that this route was virtually toll frre apart from buying a vignette at the Swiss border.

Brisey.

OP
OP
Cam1
Sep 28, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA 765
Exp
Since 2006
We travelled down to Garda a year or two ago with some other Funsters.
Leg 1 Calais to Metz
Leg 2 Metz to Luzern
Leg 3 Luzern to Peschiera del Garda

I think that this route was virtually toll frre apart from buying a vignette at the Swiss border.

Brisey.
Hi Brisey,
Metz was looking like my first stop. There's an Aire their so thought I'de give it a go. Then onto Basel and then Lake Como last before we head for Peschiera del Garda aswell.
Thanks
Cam.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
There is a nice site at the bottom end of lake Maggiore if you are that way.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We did L Garda summer 2010 went via Rotterdam Germany Austria and would highly recommend stopping off in Innsbruck for a night its a lovely city

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi guys, these are exactly my plans for late May - early June, including Belgium and Luxembourg.

Brisey has it down fine. I took most of my hints from Brian (Hildweller) including a 2 day trip into Venice. I'll be grabbing about three weeks, and I'm looking forward to it.

I last drove to Garda in 1971, three lads in a Sunbeam Rapier with a tent, fond memories.
:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hee hee Popeye! The only time I've been to Italy was a drive down from Bewdley to Cattolica in 1971. BIL, sis and their baby, me and husband Mk1 all in BIL's VW Dormobile, us with a small frame tent.

When I started taking to Pete it seems we led parallel lives back then - he did it with his g/f (who subesequently became his first wife) in their Mini, plus 2 other Minis in convoy - with tents - from Coventry to Lido de Jessolo, but in 1969 .....

Neither of us has ever been back to Italy since.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Metz was looking like my first stop. There's an Aire their so thought I'de give it a go.

Hi Cam, you are correct there is an Aire at Metz, room for about 7 vans I think. You will be very lucky to get a place. Fortunately the aire is situated at the gates of the municipal campsite where you should find plenty of room, cost was €13 per night with EHU and showers.

Brisey.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hee hee Popeye! The only time I've been to Italy was a drive down from Bewdley to Cattolica in 1971. BIL, sis and their baby, me and husband Mk1 all in BIL's VW Dormobile, us with a small frame tent.

When I started taking to Pete it seems we led parallel lives back then - he did it with his g/f (who subesequently became his first wife) in their Mini, plus 2 other Minis in convoy - with tents - from Coventry to Lido de Jessolo, but in 1969 .....

[HI]Neither of us has ever been back to Italy since[/HI].

Not surprised.....too many memories for you?

And I think we passed you, I remember a girl, looked just like you mooning out of the window of a Dormobile......wait till we meet I never forget an [STRIKE]Arse[/STRIKE] Face..........Griff :roflmto:

OP
OP
Cam1
Sep 28, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA 765
Exp
Since 2006
Metz was looking like my first stop. There's an Aire their so thought I'de give it a go.

Hi Cam, you are correct there is an Aire at Metz, room for about 7 vans I think. You will be very lucky to get a place. Fortunately the aire is situated at the gates of the municipal campsite where you should find plenty of room, cost was €13 per night with EHU and showers.

Brisey.
Thanks for that.

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
lake garda

Hi Rod,
How long to Garda?
Any actual route suggestions?
My management making Garda noises also.
Cheers
Hi well we stayed along the rhine on stellplatz on the way down then into austria i suppose how quick you want to do it but i would think straight down you would need about 4 days taking it steady cheers Rod:thumb:

scrapjack

Free Member
Jun 22, 2011
Andover, Hants.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7/8 years
To Garda

We have been to Rome and other towns in Italy, including visiting the Lakes. Our route started at Dunkirk - A25 Lille - A27/A16/A7 Tournai/Mons/Namur A4 South through Luxembourg to Metz. All toll free motorways plus fill up in Luxembourg as the diesel is the cheapest in Europe.
At Metz we always took the toll to Strasbourg - was about 10 Euro a few years back. From Strasbourg we drove into Germany and south down the autobahn (free again) to Basle. Vignette essential for Switzerland and on into Italy heading towards Milan on the Italian motorways, which are far cheaper than the French.
Trust this helps. Italy is excellent as there is so much to see although it is perhaps one of the more expensive destinations now they have the Euro and no longer devalue every few years.
The whole route to Basle was stress free and relatively flat. Switzerland of course has great scenery but lots of 'hills'. The climbs are not that bad and I have experienced steeper climbs in the UK.
Enjoy Italy. Scrapjack :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back