Calais to Clermont Ferrand. (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Any help with best route without going onto periphique. Normally go Rouen Orleans Limoges to the South. Want to make good time and willing to do tolls to save time but want to get around Paris without the stress of the Periphique. Heading for Spain but don't want to go SW via Landes.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I would go -Calais - Rouen - Evreux - Dreux - Chartres - Orleans

Then if you are in a hurry and happy with tolls take the A71 direct to Clermont.

Or slower non toll route Orleans - Nevers - Moulins - Riom. This is my usual route to the south with stopovers along the loire.

John

OP
OP
H
May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Thanks both. Lunarman that is our normal route but were wondering if anyone had a simple route via A21 and A1 but not via Periphique. Stealaway do you go tolls where possible.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Any help with best route without going onto periphique. Normally go Rouen Orleans Limoges to the South. Want to make good time and willing to do tolls to save time but want to get around Paris without the stress of the Periphique. Heading for Spain but don't want to go SW via Landes.

Last time I did it I used the Periphique, I was driving, 7.5 tonne van the size of a bus and at rush hour. Why are you scared? :rofl::rofl: I rather think everyone else was scared when I did it - UK registered van with quite a few dints and scratches (from before we bought her), huge and a woman driver - it was left hand drive which helped. I didn't find it any worse than the M25 but I did have a very good navigator who made sure I knew well in advance which porte I needed and how many to go - plus in those days my French was much better than it is today.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Thanks both. Lunarman that is our normal route but were wondering if anyone had a simple route via A21 and A1 but not via Periphique. Stealaway do you go tolls where possible.

We never use tolls unless unavoidable - like the Milau Bridge. We are never in a rush to get any where which is why we always use that route north. That and being a tight Yorkshire man with Scottish heritage.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I would go -Calais - Rouen - Evreux - Dreux - Chartres - Orleans

Then if you are in a hurry and happy with tolls take the A71 direct to Clermont.

Or slower non toll route Orleans - Nevers - Moulins - Riom. This is my usual route to the south with stopovers along the loire.

John
Every time,,BUSBY.

OP
OP
H
May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
we never used rolls just that after so many years of driving the same roads to Spain this year we feel like getting there as quick as possible but like many of us we may change our mind when the time comes. JUST HATE THE PERIPHIQUE.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back