Calais to Chambery avoiding tolls (1 Viewer)

cbrown1360

Free Member
Aug 24, 2015
Lymington
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Were heading from Calais to a rally near Chambery in early September. I've researched the non-toll route options and most of the roads are D class. Has anyone who has done this or a similar route avoiding tolls able to comment on how easy the drive would be. p.s. We've done the non-toll route from Calais to Biarritz many times and that was fine as most of the roads were A or N class. Thanks.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Were heading from Calais to a rally near Chambery in early September. I've researched the non-toll route options and most of the roads are D class. Has anyone who has done this or a similar route avoiding tolls able to comment on how easy the drive would be. p.s. We've done the non-toll route from Calais to Biarritz many times and that was fine as most of the roads were A or N class. Thanks.
You could go via Belgium, then back into France for Metz, Nancy, and Besancon, etc, ie, A & N routes. It appears to take the same estimated time, although around 150Kms longer, but no tolls. (y)

Good luck,

Jock. :)

P.S. You also get the opportunity to fill up with cheaper diesel in Luxembourg, and there are some decent stops on the way down. ;)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Probably comes down to the more time and less money/more money and less time equation. We have often done a similar run to our sil who lives half way btwn Lyon and Geneva but only tried once to do it without tolls.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Here you go, this may help.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award-winning database, ‘about France.com’. It has a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost all Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

(Note: Toll costs for a class 2 Motorhome. Calais – Irun. €149.40). (Fuel €151.62 Based on 1083 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr. 3.5T motor-home). N10 Calais - Irun. Using partial Toll = €11.50). (Fuel €147.84 Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr.)).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: Avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 Motorway and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (€1.80). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) Immediately after the Spanish border crossing on the motorway at Biriatou, Spanish Exit 1 (not French exit 1 before the border), clearly marked as the exit for N121a for Pamplona. Also here are Repsol fuel stations and shopping opportunities. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

One of the best off line MAP ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Finally, for those looking for a data sim card for their ‘Mifi’ unit or tablet (WiFi) this is the best deal in the UK and possibly the best deal in the whole of the E.U. at this moment in time. A massive 50GB of 4g data for only £30.00 a month on a monthly rolling contract. Cancel the contract after two months to get the full 3 months usage throughout the whole of the E.U. Other options also available.

(Tip!) (Go on their online ‘Web Chat’ and ask them to confirm the contract starts when you activate the sim and if they agree (they did with me) keep a copy of the Web Chat that they will email to you, otherwise the contract will start from the day your order the sim card). After two months contact customer services by phone and cancel the contract by giving them 30 days’ notice. This prevents their fair play usage kicking in after 3 months and you paying through your nose for Wi-Fi. If they say the contract started from when you made the order contact the complaints number and they will honour the agreement made with the Chat agent! (UK number is 03333 041 524 (standard call charges apply, they will even call you back if you ask them and they are very helpful)). The Wi-Fi coverage is exceptional.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-data-bundles/

Vodaphone APN settings for an unlocked MiFi.

https://search.vodafone.co.uk/search?proxystylesheet=default_frontend&q=APN+settings&x=0&y=0

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Look on Michelin Maps, they show the width of the roads, some D class roads are a joy to drive on, easily navigable in a moho.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
You could go via Belgium, then back into France for Metz, Nancy, and Besancon, etc, ie, A & N routes. It appears to take the same estimated time, although around 150Kms longer, but no tolls. (y)

Good luck,

P.S. You also get the opportunity to fill up with cheaper diesel in Luxembourg, and there are some decent stops on the way down. ;)
Couldnt agree more with this route if you need to get there, hate paying tolls, dont mind dual carriageways, appreciate cheap fuel in Luxembourg and plenty of really decent aires at differing places en route.
Going the Reims way is boring when you just keep looking at Chateaus and vineyards and running alongside the seine with numerous free aires and the occasional hilltop village.
That is really a close call between those 2 ways.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Couldnt agree more with this route if you need to get there, hate paying tolls, dont mind dual carriageways, appreciate cheap fuel in Luxembourg and plenty of really decent aires at differing places en route.
Going the Reims way is boring when you just keep looking at Chateaus and vineyards and running alongside the seine with numerous free aires and the occasional hilltop village.
Which is what I thought the OP was looking for. ;)

Cheers,

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I am currently looking at options taking this route in the same direction in September. Do you any recommendations for stops along this route, especially for more than 1 night. There appears to be a shortage of places within 2 - 3 hours of Calais that I can see (we have stayed at Coucy le Chateau before which was nice).

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I am currently looking at options taking this route in the same direction in September. Do you any recommendations for stops along this route, especially for more than 1 night. There appears to be a shortage of places within 2 - 3 hours of Calais that I can see (we have stayed at Coucy le Chateau before which was nice).
Arras - but at the swimming pool not the main aire. Good day or 2 mean meandering around
Laon - cracking fortified hilltop town
Mareuil sur ay - Another corker along canal with free wifi (extra parking towards library as people stay here quite a while)
Mesnil st pere - alongside lake good couple of days sunbathing here
Joinville as an alternative to Mesnil alongside canal and pretty driving through here (prefer the Mesnil one personally though)
Langres - Another hill top fortified town with nearby lake
Dole - Little Venice Don't park near the river behind the sports ground because of mozzies. Park towards the main entrance where most vans will be. Alternative up at the swimming complex and free water here and quieter but out of town and the town is nice
Lac D'ilay - Wildcamp near cascades du herrison _ Google the cascades and get back to me for exact co ordinates of next to lake and allow 4-5 hours for cascades and take swimming stuff to walk behind waterfalls and swim underneath them
Nantua - alongside good lake with great sunsets - Town is awful though but it has a lidls, but no real reason to go into the town
Seyssel - right alongside the Rhone with swimming lake which can be a bit green but swimmable
Serrierres - about 10 kms down from Seyssel with own swimming lake and striking distance of Chanaz which is well worthy of a stop for a cup of tea/beer/wine

All of those are pretty good and Nantua is the only paying aire to my knowledge (though you can get away with it on a weekend or off season if they don't come to collect)

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Thanks for all that detail(y). We cycled into Laon when we were in the area last time and agree with you on that so I will be following up the other places with interest.
There are a number of places near Dole that I have in mind and possibly on to the Alps if time permits.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just a comment - we've generally found that "D" roads i France are pretty good, as long as it's got a 3 or 4 figure number i.e. D969 or D1010 - as good as any N road although will only be single carriageway and restricted to the now national 80kph limit, as well as going through small towns and villages. That said, unless we're in a hurry, we are very happy to use them.

Berniesbargreece

Free Member
Sep 20, 2011
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Autohome Wildfire
Exp
I am dead against any country having any toll, especially private companies taking massive profits like Benetton in Italy: HOWEVER.... having just travelled from Ancona to Innsbruck Austria and seen the many many facilities for motorhomes (electricity, water, toilet waste facilities etc etc) I feel it isnt just a case of business 'just taking and not giving' I still believe in toll free travel but it cost 42 Euros (£36.00) for 383 miles (11p a mile) wasn't bad and the travel was a dream compared to driving through towns etc. This cost is like one nights camping if you decide to saty at one of their pretty amazing services for the night. I cant believe I'm writing this, have I been seduced by skulduggery... I'd still like to see toll free travel and the end to paying private companies to drive on roads that belong to the people; At least return all profits back to Government...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back