Nov 9, 2014
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Fiat CI Carioca
Exp
None
Hi all

Planning our first ever trip to France in MH this July and have chosen to stay at a campsite at Arcachon for around a week. Plan on taking it slow on the way down from Calais so was after any recommendations on where to stay on the way there and back again?

Also any advice on the best route options would be appreciated. How much would the tolls be , or is there a decent toll free route ?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Would that be the campsite in the pine forest?, if so stayed there about 5 years ago, great place and a nice walk up a bloody great sand dune on your door step,

France 2010 024.jpg

Andy

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
A couple of years ago we stayed at a campsite called La Cigale in Aras in Arcachon and was very impressed.
We always set our satnav to avoid toll routes and just take our time so we see more of the country and just stop on aires when ready.

Enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Sorry cant help with directions and tolls as we went up from the south but in case you don't know buses are really cheap from outside the dune campsites into Arcachon and the cycling paths are fantastic too. Meal at the market cafe. Have a great time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Beware the ferry from Royan across the estuary to where you want to be. If you think crossing the Channel is expensive bearing in mind the distance across it - you ain't seen nothing yet! LOL

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Rob,
You don't say how long your trip is, or how long you are staying at the campsite.
Are you OK to use aires on the way there & back, are you thinking of 3 or 4 days done and back.
What sort of mileage do you want to do each day. journey is somewhere between 550-- 600 miles.
I (personally) only like driving about 200 max a day( but then I'm in my late 60's & tire easily) driving over there is very easy, we dont use peage roads (toll)
what time do you arrive in Calais & how far do you want travel first day.
as Carol say's avoid royan ferry expensive.
heres a couple of ideas of what I'd do.
3 night St Nicolas de Bliquetuit (avoiding Rouen),Saumur, Angouleme ( la couronne), Arcachon.
2 night Gace, Couhe, Arcachon
hope this helps Terry
ps when you are down there you must visit La dune de Pyla 100 metre high sand dune , as posted by drexxer

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
I went there years ago and can't remember which campsite it was although it was in the pine forest but I found the sand dune intimidating Wouldn't stop me going there again though.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Dune du Pyla I believe there is an aire actually there at the dune in the car park ( not free)

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You can drive south from Calais, avoiding Paris and the tolls down to Limoges are less than half the price of going via Le Mans.
Turn right at Limoges, you could stop over at Parc Verger, then continue via Brantome. There's an autoroute to Bordeaux or you can go on the smaller roads which are all fine for Motorhomes and pick up the autoroute on the toll free part. South at Bordeaux ( Arcachon signposted from the motorway) It's an easy drive., though Calais to Parc Verger would be a long day. Plenty of Aires on the way though.
Arcachon is a lovely area, very popular with the French who live inland

Upvote 0

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
As Hollyberry says, the route via Limoges is low cost as the A20 autoroute south towards Limoges is toll-free. You could overnight here, where we are delighted to meet Funsters (subscribing Funsters get a discount), and then there are easy routes from here to Bordeaux and Arcachon that avoid the tolls on the A89.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Beware the ferry from Royan across the estuary to where you want to be. If you think crossing the Channel is expensive bearing in mind the distance across it - you ain't seen nothing yet! LOL
Indeed !!!! But I still use it as it knocks off a large mileage along stressful roads full of lorries !
And a few miles along the road is a great municipal camp site at Le Gurp right on the beach . Google Le Gurp for the campsite.:cheers::active:

And, Mrs. Sedge, I am sure you know all about Euronat just along the beach ! Excellent rates in the off season ! Roll on September!

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I do indeed know about Euronat young Sir. However like Montalivet - it just looks FAR too big to us and always has.

We like a site (if we ever go on a site) where all the facilities are a shortish wander way - not a place where you need a bike to fetch your bread or go for a swim in the pool, etc. And we've heard plenty of people say that you do for both of those.

Likewise the aire at Cabanes de Fleury is nearer to the partic beach you and we want, than the Grand Cosse, plus less mozzies. And much nearer the local facilities. OK so you don't have access to a swimming pool - but for €8 a night in comparison to camping prices - you won't see us complain !

Not been to Le Gurp. Will have to remember that if we go that way in future. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back