Calais t San Sebastián (1 Viewer)

eyeball74

Free Member
Mar 25, 2021
Washington, Tyne and Wear, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Hi all. We are travelling from the North East of England to San Sebastián in September and need some help/advice. Getting to Le Shuttle is no problem it’s from Calais to San Sebastián I need help with. I need to get down there in the quickest way possible so I know I will have to use the toll roads. Can anyone tell me what the toll prices are like and which is the best route to take? Also, I intend to do it in two stints so will require a park up about half way down. Again, any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
If you are classing your two days from crossing to Calais, we can be on the aire in San Sebastián in the two days.
We usually use the toll road to Abbeyville, around 13 Euro. Free motorway to Rouen.
From there following the N10.
We even avoid the tool booths from Bordeaux to Dax exit. Two Little detours required.
From that point we pay the tolls, around three places, 6/7 euros each time I think, but worth it, into Spain and free again to San Sebastián.
As for stop overs, I use Maps.me, plot the route( orange poi) and plot places to stop en-route ( red poi)
Then as traveling you can decide how you are feeling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Hi. Thanks for your help. My 2 days are from leaving Calais down to San Sebastián. So I assume I leave Calais and head to Abbeyville? Then pick up the N10.
I’ve not done the N10 but read on here only the other day that is has plenty of speed restrictions and fines being imposed.

Personally I would stick to the toll roads following the route to Bordeaux and beyond, it’s a good fast route and one which I prefer rather than stop/start at junctions and roundabouts.

Each has benefits so it all depends on which you prefer.

Al 👍

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
Each to there own, yes there are roundabouts and speed restrictions, but still do it in two days.
Using the pay motorway you could probably do it in a day?
Using a web site for a class 2, 142 Euro in france plus a bit in France /Spain border.
Uses the same route, not the same roads but avoids the slower sections
1100 km could be done in the day 11/12 hours travel.
Personally I prefer the money in my pocket.
Keep to the speed limits.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
The N10s a fast road on Sundays when lorries aren’t allowed
we usually take a latish tunnel crossing, head on down to Abbeville and spend the first night on the autoroute services at Baie de Somme - that’s just before the A28 down to Rouen.
we use the N154 past Evreux, dreux and Chartres to the N10
one of our favourite stops is the aire at Saint Denis des Pons just outside Chateaudun. It’s not half way though- about 100 km short. We like to stop south of Bordeaux either the aire at Cap Breton or a bit earlier at Sanguinet.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi. Thanks for your help. My 2 days are from leaving Calais down to San Sebastián. So I assume I leave Calais and head to Abbeyville? Then pick up the N10.
If you can use the N10 on a sunday its much better because a lot less lorries. What time are you landing in calais? Froe Abbeville take the A28 to Rouen ( which is the free bit) but after Rouen its get expensive so you re better off taking the N154, Evreux, Dreux and Chartres, at Chartres stick on the N10 until just before Tours, get o the A10 through tours and then pick up the N10 again to Bordeaux, Then its A10 towards Bayonne diving off at 18 and back on at 17 and off again at 12 for St Paul Les dax and stick on D810 down to just above Bayonne where you might as well pay until because its a pain to avoid. You dont need to worry about the Spanish tolls. We did some of this last week but cant help with prices as we are un arguably classe 3. But you can compare the toll prices here

https://www.autoroutes.fr/index.htm?lang=en
put in car and caravan will give you classe 2

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
, head on down to Abbeville and spend the first night on the autoroute services at Baie de Somme -
This is really not a good idea, lots of reports of break ins here. If you want/need to stop in this area I would go to le Crotoy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
We’ve always found Baie de Somme safe. It’s well set up for an overnighter. I’d rate it at least as safe as Le Crotoy

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We’ve always found Baie de Somme safe. It’s well set up for an overnighter. I’d rate it at least as safe as Le Crotoy
Each to their own of course, but the problem with motorway aires is they offer opportunists an easy target with a quick escape route. Added to that a vehicle moving around a Motorway Service station in the middle of the night is not unusual whereas a car cruising around an aire attracts attention.

We used to have lots of these discussions about Cite Europe, until the police closed it down because of all the problems.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
This particular stop is well organised for and welcoming to motorhomes. It doesnt have a quick escape route back to the Autoroute. It’s dedicated motorhome and picnic stops are far from the lorry stops and the casual car stop overs And the layout doesn’t lend itself to cruising at all.
-as you say each to their own

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just for the benefit of other readers, there are now barriers on the municipal aire at Le Crotoy. They re there to ensure people actually pay. They let you in but then I'm pretty sure they use number plate recognition to check you ve paid before they let you out. Not sure how long they will last though as they are quite new and the exit barrier already has a bit of a kink in it ( my money is on one of the camping caristes).

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Mostly because I'm getting a bit stir crazy waiting for my release but a quick search:-

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back