Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
I'm afraid this is frighteningly true - Murph and I came back on the 0600 ferry from Calais a couple of days ago. It was still very dark and I was halted by felled trees blocking the entire motorway leading to the dock. Fireworks were aimed at the motorway from the near field, presumably to distract and disorient us. There was only me in my motorhome and a lorry in front. Doubtless that this lot were after the poor lorry driver, but I was getting ready to do a 180 and escape the wrong way down the port access. Fortunately the French police arrived a few seconds after we stopped and started after the dozen or so shadowy figures coming out of the fields. I agree that the French Army needs to be called in to help the port police deal with this type of situation - people smugglers stop at nothing at the expense of desperate migrants and those of us travelling or working.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-37186868?SThisFB

Last edited:

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Perhaps the French authorities should hire in some forestry contractors with a large chipper and just blitz every tree on the road into shreds ...... let's see them drag that into the road!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
On the last probably mile into the dock(and its not motorway) both sides of the road have 8 ft high double fences on either side and when i came through in early July a very visible Police presence ,,,,BUSBY,,

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I wonder why a motorcyclist would be going through at 4 am. It's not as if he had somewhere to kip on either side as a motirhomer would. Must have been desperate to reach the UK or to gets crossing a few pounds cheaper.

Must admit , it sounds a bit of a fairy story to me, might well be wrong nearly always am just my feeling:(

ignore it at your peril. But in answer to you Ian? why not? I've done that several times over the years. Riding through the night, alone on my way back from various race events. why do you find it so strange? I now do the same in the camper, some of us just prefer traveling at nigh.

It's no fairy story, do your research and stop being so dismissive. This shit is real and it's happening now and for some reason the press want to turn a blind eye to it and produce non stories from elsewhere. It needs sorting and it needs sorting now. I am on my way there in a few days, yes overnight because that's how we roll it's personal choice.

I think it's about time something was done about this to protect the tourists that keep that economy going. I am away of many people that have changed their minds already.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
OK my two pennies worth.
After a nasty experience a couple of years ago, we vowed never to travel the Dover-Calais route ever again. I know the nay-sayer brigade on here will be up in arms about that statement.
However, we used the Harwich-Hook of Holland route this year. We Britstopped at a nearby pub the night before our crossing, and had a superb meal, (and also lots of cheery conversation with the locals)
Early in the morning we set off to meet the ferry, we arrived about 2 hours early, and to my surprise, we were loaded on almost straight away. We found our cabin, and then grabbed some snacks in the on-board cafe and watched the chaos that was ensuing at Dover on the telly due to extra security at the French Border. In fact by my reckoning, our 7 hour crossing meant that we still crossed quicker than those in the traffic at Dover! And we had a cabin with a bed!
I was doing my best smug face whilst watching it :D

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Just booked to go Dover - Dunkirk which was cheaper than Calais anyway, cue someone now posting a link about migrant problems in Dunkirk as well!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
ignore it at your peril. But in answer to you Ian? why not? I've done that several times over the years. Riding through the night, alone on my way back from various race events. why do you find it so strange? I now do the same in the camper, some of us just prefer traveling at nigh.

It's no fairy story, do your research and stop being so dismissive. This shit is real and it's happening now and for some reason the press want to turn a blind eye to it and produce non stories from elsewhere. It needs sorting and it needs sorting now. I am on my way there in a few days, yes overnight because that's how we roll it's personal choice.

I think it's about time something was done about this to protect the tourists that keep that economy going. I am away of many people that have changed their minds already.

Don't think The Press would turn a blind eye,,,it would sell papers. Must be a ferry arriving in Calais carrying 200 plus vehicles ever hour at least every day of the week....I have read nothing in the papers or hardly online about any bother..It is probably more dangerous to go swimming in the sea in the UK reading about the recent tragedies...BUSBY,,,

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Well I believe its happening...........

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Well I believe its happening...........

No one i drive a camper and not a truck,,no two the motorway does not go into the ferry port,,,no three as i said before the approach road is protected by double 8 ft high fences. If you are really worried approach via Calais town centre,,,BUSBY.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Isn't 'the camp' at Grand Synthe, very close to Dunkirk and miles away from Calais.
We rarely see migrants at Calais (travelling day or night, often staying at Cite Europe) but regularly see incidents along the A16, day and night !
When I say incidents, I mean people on the motorway, car chases and crashes, vehicles loading/unloading passengers, lots of Police activity...
Weren't some suspected people smugglers recently shot dead in this area ?

It's lazy journalism to keep mentioning Calais, it's old news and a red herring imo.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I am getting fed up,,gassed yet again,,had 2 I phones an I pad and 2000 euros stolen and have just been prosecuted for using an A. FRAME and they got my ROLEX,,load of crap,,,RELAX,,you have your health....

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

I was just curious, not dismissive, as to why someone would be on a motorcycle or any vehicle used for leisure at that time in the morning making a crossing, first because the night is a time for sleeping for me, just personal preference or circumstances I guess .Second because I know without the need for the research you suggest that as you say, "this shit is happening now " and I expect the issue is generally well known to those who travel via Calais. The danger of running into problems with migrants seems to me to make a night crossing far less attractive. I don't suppose there is such a problem going out but I certainly would not "ignore it at my peril" and entertain a night crossing on the return journey.

I think more could be done, perhaps as the mayor of Calais suggests the French Army could be used to enhance security.

Anyhow I won't be cancelling my forthcoming daytime outward and return journeys and I hope you have an enjoyable time and stay safe in your crossings.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Perhaps the Foreign Secretary could loan the French our Water Cannon to patrol the road.?

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
What beats me is why the would be immigrants would think we would ever want to allow people who behave like that to enter the UK. It's shooting themselves in the foot (feet?)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It probably doesn't occur to them that their culture is unacceptable to us. Thy have been brought up to behave as they do and their values and ethics are different and unlikely to change whichever country they go to. Hence the sexual assaults in Germany and the fighting between groups in the jungle. I remember one immigrant In Germany, I think it was, who when asked why he had sexually assaulted a young boy in a swimming pool changing room, explained it was an emergency as he hadn't had sex for some time. How can you possibly change that cultural outlook. Similarly many immigrants to the UK come from countries and cultures where FHM is perfectly normal and acceptable, even desirable, so they continue with it in the UK. It happens to be against the law but of course, they reject our laws and values within their own closed communities and carry on regardless.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was gassed and had my A Frame stolen,,,BUSBY:):)
No, get it right! They confiscated your 'A' frame and then CS'd you when you kicked off and kneed the Gendarme in the balls.
Tell it like it was .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back