Calais - Cote d' Azur via eastern France (1 Viewer)

M

mumphrey

Deleted User
We are going to the Cote d'Azur via the eastern side of France on a 4 week holiday. Does anyone have any suggestions for a route, stopovers or interesting places to stay. We prefer to stay off the toll roads if possible only using them to bypass cities. For all those who know 'Yoolie' you'll know me, its Marion with my very own Username ::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Marion, I see you have branched out:roflmto: cant help with a route myself but it wont be long before one of the more seasoned travellers answers you.
Why not send Jim out on his bike to do a dry run:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo
ps Ill give you a thank you, cos you aint got one yet

Last edited:

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
hi it depends how long you want to take to get down there. i like to take the reims route rather than round Paris i think last time our first stop was chalons en champagne then beaune then Avignon and then a steady drive to the coast.

mark

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sostas

Free Member
Nov 16, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Route to Cóte Azur

Hi Mumphrey,
We generally use N roads through France but just in case you don't know the A25 and A75 are free motorways. Have to pay to cross the Millau Bridge of course. Have a good trip. :Smile:
Sostas

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My Tom Tom last year got me down to Bordeaux without a single toll road, without it the toll road are like a strong magnet to me navigating:Angry::RollEyes:

PS:- Geo love the Jim bit as sure he's there right now on his bike waiting for a challenge like this. After all what can you do on a French campsite all day?:winky:

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
We are going to the Cote d'Azur via the eastern side of France on a 4 week holiday. Does anyone have any suggestions for a route

Hi Marion (didn't your granma live in carey street near my mum ?)....Yes, it's me.
Anyway, you say eastern side, do you mean east of paris or much further over and maybe towards germany and then south through / over the alps.

We are going over there early sept, east of paris, down the rhone valley and then to st tropez. lots of stopping off places.
We've done the other route (much further east) last year. Again lots of stopping off places.
Have you joined the acsi scheme ? It's worth it, if only to get on a site and use the washing machines every so often.

Let us know which way you're going.

regards

Allen & Eileen

artc

Free Member
Dec 13, 2007
Funster No
east route

I did this journey twice a year for 10 years, depends where on the SOF you intend to go, i always went to Grimaud(i had a place there) and i always went down to Lyon then over the top to Grenoble then down to Sisteron & Brignole, the route is fantastic, takes a bit longer but if you have the time well worth it, or if your'e on a schedule then it's got to be Rheims, Chalon, Dijon,Valence, Avignon, but the problem with this route is you will have to use toll roads to certain extent, as running down the Rhone valley is very time consuming, but a lot of people make the mistake of trying to rush down, the route down is nice and some very interesting places to stop at, but there again half the fun is planning a route, use the toll roads to go round main towns and cities, will save you lots of time.

OP
OP
M

mumphrey

Deleted User
Thankyou

Thanks to all for your suggestions, I will check all of them out on the map. it looks likely we will take the Reims, Dijon, Lyon route. It doesn't matter how long it takes.

Geo - Good thinking on your part, at least I would get a couple of days to myself if I send Jim out to recce first, and then I would get the pleasure of telling him he got it all wrong :ROFLMAO:

Walburga - We are leaving it a bit late for planning (due to Doctors and hospital appts) but will let you know our plans as soon as we finalise them.

Again thanks to all for replies.

Mumphrey (Marion):thumb:

Nov 21, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A class
Exp
since 2007
Jolly good fellow

Geo, what a cracking idea. Fancy beeing pillion?
Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back