DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Dont really understand the bits about them paying fortunes to traffickers to get here i thought they were all skint .
Their families typically take out huge loans often from the traffickers themselves. Modern day slavery.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If as is said they are coming through Italy into France then it's a bloody long way to get to Calais, why have they not been spotted?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If as is said they are coming through Italy into France then it's a bloody long way to get to Calais, why have they not been spotted?
The cynic would say why bother to look if they are passing through.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Haha, yes. They know where there going.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
I am thinking the whole situation is finally coming to crisis and tipping point so would hope dome resolution do on. Went through tunnel a week ago and have never seen so much security. We did keep all doors locked and find our last minute french shopping in dinkirk, not calais, bur even then saw people walking along motorway between Dunkirk and Calais

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
We are off through the tunnel on Wednesday and we have a dog, on our return in 6 weeks I will stand guard outside the van whilst my wife takes the dog to the pet passport office. Thanks to all the funsters who alerted me to this problem.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If anyone finds any under their MH's it would be an idea to gas them to get your own back :D(y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Being vigilant is a good idea. I imagine it will calm down a bit. keep an eye on the forum. There are always Funsters coming through, I'm sure they'll report in if it remains dodgy.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
It seems we have offered to help the French out by giving them the 9 ft high metal fencing used in Cardiff this last weekend.

No mention of machine gun towers and snatch squads, oops, did I really just type that out aloud? :LOL:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
when i came through on the 1st sept the q for the passport control was way back on the a16 a great opotunity for passengers to get on and like i have said before all they did was check my passports twice no one at any time checked my van bloody waste of time

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
security is reasonably tight I would say, but not used now for 18 months, suspect it will a bit tighter from now on

you technically can do everything without leaving your MH, unless instructed to do, they are ridiculously keen on gas checks, you usually have to stop and open locker to confirm the gas is actually turned off at the cylinder

when on the train it is totally your choice stay in or walk around, loads of people walk past all the time, as we have a loo on board we do not bother moving, have resisted the temptation to turn gas back on and make a coffee so far

I can't quote specifics on where the potential stowaways are living / waiting, but would expect the Chunnel to be as bad as the ferry terminal

We will be sticking with the Tunnel though, making sure garage is locked before we get anywhere near Calais and maybe as other posters have suggested, saying we think we have just seen someone go under our MH, let the authorities check. After that point I think there is virtually no chance they will still get on / in / under (y)

When we came back last Saturday there seemed was no interest from the French authorities - no checking with sensors along doors and steering wheel as they often used to do - and only a cursory look at our passports by the Brits.
But what concerned me most is the the guy at the gas check had left the barrier open and did not even ask if the gas was turned off let alone check it as they are supposed to do!!
But there weren't any migrants around either, not even around the pet check car park.
Mike and Annie

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
There's a back way into the check-in area of Calais Port that doesn't involve queueing on the dual carriageway - it's used by passengers buying tickets on the day of travel and it's off the roundabout here: 50.967678, 1.870007

You could get to it using the D119 from the A16. We often drive there from the Port Aire but the route through town took us past one of the migrant camps in April before it was cleared out. I've no idea if the entrance has been closed down as a precaution or if it's staked out by stowaways, but it saves hanging around on the more obvious access route. We tend to get early ferries home and arrive well before departure - I can't recall ever queueing outside the Port perimeter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back