Calais concerns

Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
3 years
After viewing migrants who show no concern and going to any lengths to reach the uk I
Am of the opinion to travel to Dunkirk or use the Channel Tunnel.

One lady had a migrant unknowingly stowed himself in her car! The officials at the ferry port just haven't the resources to deal with the numbers ... Very concerning.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
MH
Hobby 750 tag.
Exp
Full timing for five years and loving it!
I don't think the French police care, they just want rid of them and getting to the UK is indeed a way to get rid of them. Don't the Brit police look after the Chunnel?

Oct 27, 2013
Salisbury, Wiltshire
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since July 2012
I've just cancelled the ferry & booked the tunnel for when we come back in 3 weeks. Don't want to risk any damage to the M/H or taking a passenger & possible fine.

PS. I took it as a joke as well! :ROFLMAO:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
MH
Hobby 750 tag.
Exp
Full timing for five years and loving it!
On the one hand I do feel sorry for them as they are only looking for a better life but why here? They have crossed quite a few countries to get to Calais and not found what they are looking for, why not? Is France so bad? That's what I don't understand.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Don't forget to check under the bike rack cover I see there was a post of this happening recently and when they checked an immigrant fell out!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not wishing to add to the concerns of those above, but I am pretty sure all the recent 'stowaways' 2 on here forum members and the lady with the man in her Fiat Panda all used the Chunnel

The weak link appears to be the pet passport area, all had been through there

We are fans of the chunnel and are booked for October and will not be changing, we also have a dog

(y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for that we use it as well we need to be on our guard our return in the Spring

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I must say I'm a bit surprised that those reported had stowed away on a vehicle presumably carrying a dog as it was in the pet check area? did the dog not raise the alarm. I find that a little disturbing.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I must say I'm a bit surprised that those reported had stowed away on a vehicle presumably carrying a dog as it was in the pet check area? did the dog not raise the alarm. I find that a little surprising.

When you get to the pet check area, it can often be quite manic, but you have to take your dog into an office area to be scanned for chip and their passport stamped, typically leaving MH empty, we pet owners like to do everything together you know :LOL:

It doesn't account for the Panda tale though, dogs and illegal in such close proximity, but the lady looked genuine enough and the guy was arrested soon after

OP
DAVWOD
Sep 23, 2013
Staffordshire
MH
Pilote Bavaria
Exp
3 years
I just think all of this is alarming when you have Sudanese. Afghanistan, IRaqs Syrian's etc congregating at the Port . As the majority have come via Italy paying traffickers they are very desperate and would go to any lengths to get into the uk knowing the majority will simply vanish.

I won't be using Calais and would pay the extra to use the Chunnel or other Ports taking some risk out of the equation.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I just think all of this is alarming when you have Sudanese. Afghanistan, IRaqs Syrian's etc congregating at the Port . As the majority have come via Italy paying traffickers they are very desperate and would go to any lengths to get into the uk knowing the majority will simply vanish.

I won't be using Calais and would pay the extra to use the Chunnel or other Ports taking some risk out of the equation.

The 2 posts on here with stowaways on their MH's both came through the Chunnel!!

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services