Cairnryan to Larne with a dog : advice please (1 Viewer)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Hello Funsters. We wish to visit Northern Ireland this summer. My wife doesn't like ferries but has agreed to go on the shorter Cairnryan to Larne crossing, as opposed to Holyhead - Dun Laoghaire. Rather more driving for me but I don't mind that. We have a dog and P&O tell me that we can take her but that she will have to stay in the MH for the duration of the crossing. In itself that may not be a problem as Mimi (that's the dog, not the wife!) loves her travel cage and is generally a good traveller. The big unknown is that she has never been on a ferry before. I understand that we can visit her during the crossing but only at the discretion of the crew and on the basis that we have to be accompanied. The latter I understand for safety reasons. My guess - but trying to get further information was impossible - is that we are likely to be allowed access but only (a) perhaps once during the crossing (b) if a crew member is available and (c) if it is safe to do so, which may rule it out during a rough crossing (which of course is when the need may be greatest!). What experiences have you had, particularly on this crossing but perhaps also with P&O on other routes.? Did it go well? We're the crew generally helpful, especially about visiting? Any particular problems? Any hints or tips? Our dog is very precious to us and we want her to enjoy the holiday as much as we do!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Mine used to do the 4 and a half hour France to UK crossing ( and once a 51/2 hr crossing) with no problems.
I never visited them during the crossing because if they were upset, what could I do? Limit to how long you can stay. And if I woke them up to check on them, they wouldn't know why I was disappearing again or for how long.
I never found any sign of distress--- no wee on the floor, nothing chewed or disturbed. Worse that happened was a pack of butter fell out the fridge ( unnoticed by me) and Cass ate it and was sick. I always left water for them but didn't leave them with chews or biscuits just on the very unlikely off chance that one would choke.
If you have a battery operated radio you could leave that on , close the curtains to reduce stimuli, and chances are your dog will sleep.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
The last time we did Cairnryan to Larne our dogs (two border collies) had to stay in the vehicle, but there was no access to the car deck during the crossing. T'was the first time our youngest border collie had been on a ferry. The dogs seemed to take it in their stride though, but it does feel very unnatural to leave them in the vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Our dog is well used to ferries by now, and we have no worries about leaving her in the motorhome on a 2 hour crossing. She's in familiar surroundings, and we think that even if we were allowed to visit her during the crossing, we wouldn't, as that would just disturb her and confuse her.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
My advice is to not visit them at all, it's only a couple of hours anyway. If you do visit them their stress levels, if any will rise, and yours will rise too. Our dog took ferries in his stride, even 14 hours in a kennel on the way to Shetland.

Last year we did the Outer Hebrides and on the first ferry, Oban to Barra, decided to take him into the accommodation, big mistake, all the people and other dogs stressed him, and us. After that he just stayed in the comfort of the van he is so familiar with.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We're taking our dogs to France, dover to calais crossing in a couple of weeks for the first time and I'm quite nervous about leaving them so read through this thread with interest and thanks everyone for great advice as usual. 1 of my dogs is a really nervous traveller but I will take their cage and settle them down with their blankets together and take your advice to leave them until we dock.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Don't have a dog but do that crossing regularly. . See loads of folk with dogs in their cars... I don't believe they get access to the car deck as a matter of routine to visit their pets.. that's with stena mind... not p&o ....
I've also seen a fenced off area with kennels provided on the car deck , I supposed for people who dont want to leave their dogs in the vehicle. .., but never seen them used...
Andy.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We leave both of ours in the van for ferry and no problems as others have said not a good idea to visit them as it could make them more stressed if they are already.
They just curl up on their bed and go to sleep.

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Why not try Stenaline from Cairnryan to Belfast. Same sort of journey time. Better ferries. May have a different dog policy.

Trevor

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back