Cairngorm Snow Road anybody driven it ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just watched country file, they have been showing a newly named snow route through the Cairngorms

I have often meant to travel to Tomintoul and been put off by the weather, but more my fault as I tend to go slightly out of season

http://cairngorms.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Snow-Roads-Leaflet.pdf

It takes in one of our favourites already Grantown on Spey plus Braemar, lovely places excellent CMC sites, both franchised sites and can't you tell :whistle:

Now this route has been given a name, it is on my to do list for next year, have many or any of you taken on Tomintoul in a coach built or A class ?

Some amazing looking scenery and some interesting sculpture features to go and see, plus loads of options to wild camp, that's my take on it, not something the program has suggested :)(y)

it apparently it includes the highest tarmac road in the UK :) if there wasn't reason enough that will do as a reason to do try :LOL:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are booked for Millport and Dumfries next year, think I will look at dong route this before those meets (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
just watched country file, they have been showing a newly named snow route through the Cairngorms

I have often meant to travel to Tomintoul and been put off by the weather, but more my fault as I tend to go slightly out of season

http://cairngorms.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Snow-Roads-Leaflet.pdf

It takes in one of our favourites already Grantown on Spey plus Braemar, lovely places excellent CMC sites, both franchised sites and can't you tell :whistle:

Now this route has been given a name, it is on my to do list for next year, have many or any of you taken on Tomintoul in a coach built or A class ?

Some amazing looking scenery and some interesting sculpture features to go and see, plus loads of options to wild camp, that's my take on it, not something the program has suggested :)(y)

it apparently it includes the highest tarmac road in the UK :) if there wasn't reason enough that will do as a reason to do try :LOL:
Braemar CMS site will no longer be CMC after 2018. They or the owners are not renewing the lease

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Oh we have done this route but when we were there there was no snow (dec 2015). We have a 7mcoachbuilt and I can’t remember any real problems. Not like on the NC500 route.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Did part of it about 6 weeks ago and went on to the Glenlivet distillery a few miles up the road. Stopped the night at the Tomintoul bowls club who have a honesty box.toilets open all night and there trying to get funding for EHU.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
On a separate note, how stunning were the eagles, what I’d give to to see one of each of those in its natural environment, I've not been fortunate enough yet

we have been the same with options in Scotland, I reckon you have got to plan to get to Norway, we had several sightings like this

IMG_3354.JPG

IMG_3488.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

and some of this

IMG_3898.JPG

you know you want need to :LOL::LOL:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We are going to the Outer Hebredian islands again next year. We normally do a stop over at Aviemore before getting the ferry from Ullapool to Stornaway.
After watching the program , we are now going to a detour on the snow road and stop overnight somewhere enroute.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Did part of it about 6 weeks ago and went on to the Glenlivet distillery a few miles up the road. Stopped the night at the Tomintoul bowls club who have a honesty box.toilets open all night and there trying to get funding for EHU.

evening Dave, nice to hear from you, but what on earth are you doing so far north at this time of year?

or is it just a run up for southern Europe :)(y)

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
On a separate note, how stunning were the eagles, what I’d give to to see one of each of those in its natural environment, I've not been fortunate enough yet
Not long back from Harris met up with the North Harris trust and went on a Eagle walk. One of the highlights off our trip :)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
evening Dave, nice to hear from you, but what on earth are you doing so far north at this time of year?

or is it just a run up for southern Europe :)(y)
Good evening, actually in Spain now but only for a long weekend :) After the Auchtermuchty meet in September we carried on to Oban then island hopped up the Outer Hebrides then Skye and up to Durness for about 8 weeks, absolutely stunning loved it. Know Harris is one of your favourites and rightly so.

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We were over that road last month. Went from Grantown on Spey site ( SUPERB site ) over the Tomintoul to Cockbridge road and on to Banchory CMC club site. You can definitely see how this road is one of the first to be closed when any snow is about. A few single track stretches but easy to see what's coming and no other issues with the road. Loads of great scenery, especially over the tops.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We done it about 3 years ago in our last van which was 7.5M coachbuilt, lovely scenery and nothing to worry about if you take your time. We did it at the beginning of November the roads where clear but some snow on the hills, we also wildcamped for a night in a small car park.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
This was our wild spot just north of Blairgowrie, if you look closley enough you can see our van parked in the distance. Not bad weather as this was around the 7th of November

image-jpg.47155

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We have done it a couple of times Tomitoul has a brilliant Whisky Shop also we spoke to the tourist information office and they had no problem with us staying overnight on the car park in the centre of town.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Not sure the route you are looking to take and never driven it in a moho but when we drove in a car (many years ago) we recall a very short hump back bridge I think up the road north from Craithie. Ok from Ballater but we recall stories of long vehicles becoming stuck on the bridge. I avoided it when we drove in our Moho two years ago. May be wrong but my advice would be to check out before you go up the road from Craithie

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Use this road now and again, it's very nice. Don't attempt it in bad weather, in rain or snow you won't see anything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back