Cadec; is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

Feb 29, 2020
Worthing, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tribute
Exp
Hello All,

we love cooking outside and nearly always bbq or cook on an electric pan outside (when on ehu). We had a solar panel fitted recently so are planning fewer ehu pitches. Is a cadec worthwhile getting, or should I just use a good old-fashioned camping stove? Is there a cheaper alternative to cadec?

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Hello All,

we love cooking outside and nearly always bbq or cook on an electric pan outside (when on ehu). We had a solar panel fitted recently so are planning fewer ehu pitches. Is a cadec worthwhile getting, or should I just use a good old-fashioned camping stove? Is there a cheaper alternative to cadec?
There are cheaper alternatives, depends what you want. Cadac has variety, you can bbq, do paella, breakfasts, pizza, in fact whole range of foods. Plus it is well made and lasts, easy to clean etc. Not cheap though.
I’ve used all sorts, Weber, outback and cheaper ones. For in the van it is my choice

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
We love ours.

For info a friend just changed from Weber to Cadac as it packs away smaller, is more versatile and weighs less.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We’ve had several different Cadac over the years and I found them a pain in the bum.
Then bought a cheap charcoal BBQ, lovely I thought but the mess and having to carry around charcoal made me realise why we didn’t have one before!
Bought a brand new Cadac Safari Chef 2 for peanuts and very happy with it, the old Safari Chef had so many baffle plates it could hardly warm water. this one sings along cooking chicken thighs-Bone in-in half the time needed in our van oven!
Very pleased with it and far easier to clean than the old one!
Should of/have bought one ages ago! :LOL:

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Got a Safari Chef2 and used it once with the van. Not sure will use it again, though will keep it as a back up for home use.
Just bought a Cadac Cook pro which we will probably get more use from. Plus i have a stack of disposables if we want the authentic burnt charcoal flavour

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Had a Cadac for nigh on 15yrs and has travelled to almost every part of UK with us...
How many times it's actually been used.... well I don't have enuf fingers tae count but if you include my toes, then there's your answer....
Too much faff.
Tried to use as a BBQ... shite. So was relegated to paella and pizza on the VERY odd occasion.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
weve tried a few and we now use the cadac 2 cook gives you the option of 2 grills or one and a pan or two pans we found just a single flame so limiting
1632336761693.png

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Bought one early on after getting van. Safari chef 2 l.p..
Wouldn't be without it now, have used it to cook all sorts, has come in handy the last month or so as one of the gas burners on the stove has been kaput.
Ours plugs straight into external point on van.
Packs away tiny in no time - cleans easy

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
weve tried a few and we now use the cadac 2 cook gives you the option of 2 grills or one and a pan or two pans we found just a single flame so limitingView attachment 540093
Another vote for the Cadac 2 cook.
We had the big Cadac for years but found cleaning the big plates a chore.
As there's just the two of us the smaller plates are much easier as is storage.

Richard.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
Bought a big Cadac with all the bits and bobs with their own bags about 15 years ago, when we got our first motorhome. Found that it was a pain to use and clean and, above all, we didn’t have suitable storage space. Ended up using it only two or three times and got relegated to the loft back in it’s box. Moved house last year so needed to get rid. Managed to sell it for what I paid for it all those years ago. Much prefer our small gas bbq with lava rocks, which cost about £25.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
I passed a house and saw a Cadac Carri chef left out. It had loads of accessories including a still boxed Pizza stone. I asked the householder if he was selling it, he said no just take it, many items were new and complete with all bags and a cover. Used it loads of times and really love it, well worth the price.

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Have the Safari Chef 2. I started with it when tenting as the accessories also allowed you to boil a kettle / pot (slowly) as well as grill or fry. Gets used almost every time I go out. Get the half grill half flat plancha and ideal for a sausage and egg roll breakfast, much better than stinking the van out with a fry up.

It is vulnerable to blowing out when there is a bit of wind, especially turned down low. Also the grille plates are becoming a challenge to clean as it ages, especially in the small sink of the van.

And what ever anyone says it's not a BBQ, that can only be the case when over hot charcoal, but charcoal takes too long to heat, even longer to cool so often impractical in a motorhome, especially when many sites are banning charcoal for fire risk.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Oooh….don’t you just love a good old fashioned Cadac v Weber debate.

You‘ll never get a definitive answer I’m afraid…..just opinions.

You pay your money and take your chance on this one. 😱👍🏼

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back