Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
Hi this has probably been asked before and if it has I apologise!

my hubby wants a cadac carri chef as he likes all the different surfaces to cook on. My question is, is it worth getting one due to having the cooker in the kitchen area? is it just carrying extra weight for nothing? and the canisters in our van are propane (I think), I was told this runs off butane? so would we also need ton carry an extra canister?

Thanks in advance :)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Used Safari Chef in Spain for three months and found it great. As far as cleaning, best left until following day and then cleaned with paper towel, if fired up it would just burn off any excess like any other BBQ. Good soak every now and again sorts anything stubborn :rolleyes:.

I did miss having a temp gauge on lid so fitted one for a fiver from ebay, also could be a pain if blew out to re-light so drilled hole to be able to poke gas lighter through :).

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2014
Stockport Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Advantgard
Exp
7 years
Hia
This is my latest buy from Aldi griddle to use on top of my little burner
Grid it with the smooth side down and it kept moving.
Thrived it with the griddle/ ridge side down and didn't move
Ok
Will try on family holiday at end of the month for mass cooking
Ha ha ha
image.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We've had a Carri Chef for a few years now. Totally useless! It's always blowing out in the slightest breeze. Recently on re-lighting using the push button the whole ignition unit burst into flames. I had to turn the gas off at the bottle as the only way to extinguish the flames. I would not fancy using one of these connected to an external gas point on my m/h!

But........on our recent trip to France last week (July 2015) we purchased a proper charcoal BBQ in Lidl. This BBQ is identical to the Lotus Grill and also made in Germany. It uses a small amount of charcoal in a central basket and is ready to cook on in about 5 minutes just like the Lotus Grill. It comes with it's own zip up carry bag.
The Lotus Grill costs £125 approx - The Lidl Grill cost 59.99 euros - £42!! I also notice that it's 49.99 euros at Lidl in the Netherlands.

View attachment 69622 View attachment 69622

It's also in Lidl over here...just seen a whole load of them at £39.99...have to say quite tempted for that kinda price.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Stilts arrived today and it turns out that they are the unstrung slats that are used on camping tables, we actually have one of the tables. They do the job, think I'll unstring my table and make some money, we hardly use it.;)

I wondered where they came from when I saw mine. They do the job perfectly though (y)

image.jpg

Upvote 0

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've got a cadac and use it all the time for evening meals, breakfasts and cooks wicked pancakes and waffles on the flat plate. It's the full size one with loads of different plates, etc. we mainly use the griddle plate, roast pan and skottle for curries, chillies etc. never had any problems with it blowing out, catching fire, etc that others have had and love it.

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Happy to agree that the Cadac is a grill rather than a BBQ but I've had mine for about 4 years and its the big beauty with all the attachments and the paella pan. For going away in the van I only use the reversible aluminium grill plate with the rim upwards so that nothing goes down to muck up the layer below and make it need cleaning. Lights first time every time and once run in, in year one, it never goes out however low I set the heat. I can't understand people saying that it does not get hot enough as I can get my smoking in no time at all and it has to cool down a bit before its fit to do any cooking.

The trouble with gas BBQ's is that every one I've had the gas burner rots out through rust. The last one was in an aluminium case and lid which was fine and the lava lasts forever but they need cast iron burners like old fashioned cookers to make then last! As to charcoal its too much faff and dirty for use with a motorhome. Don't suggest stainless steel burners as the stainless steel soon becomes ordinary steel and rots with the alternating red hot then cold then hot then cold etc.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back