LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We bought a Cadac grillogas (not carry chef as originally thought) on an interweb offer from Millets in the winter months, partly based on general (then positive) comments on the forum, but mostly because we witnessed others using them and liked the option of doing the same. Also managed to get the paella dish on sale too.
Now we've just got use them...

Last edited:

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We have friends who absolutely love their cadac ....but what they do after cooking on it they put the food in low oven and clean the Cadac before eating ! We gave up on ours ages ago because of the hassles with cleaning . We might use the larger cadac at home in the patio when we have access to a proper kitchen and loads of hot water.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Cadac (the emporers new clothes ) big con gotta be the worst must have item I ever bought. Total rubbish.
Mines now a bird table and its a better birdtable than a barbecue.
Got a CampingGaz 3 in 1 now excellent bit of kit converted it too run off Propane so no expensive gas bottles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I find the Cadac takes longer to assemble and disassemble than to clean. And that's only because mine is tucked into a large Really Useful Box in Udo's garage.

We used our Cadac last weekend when out at a lovely CC site near Corby. I was slow-cooking belly pork using the griddle and then burgers. What happened was the belly pork fat melted, dripped down into the burner tray and set light to itself. That flame-grilled the burgers nicely. I disconnected the gas by the way. It wasn't intentional at all but was a curious side-effect. A friend of mine did exactly the same on an identical Cadac at the same time using the paella pan and all the fat was contained in the pan and nothing caught light.

d883952a6bd0b4f41efc968fe8defa21.jpg

Anyway, cleaning was easy. A big cloth, lots of All Purpose Cleaner spray and 5 minutes work. Cloth in bin. Cadac perfectly clean once again.

I agree the paella pan is pretty much all one needs. Oh, and the pizza stone. That's rather handy, too.

May 6, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1980
We watched a demonstration of the Cadac at the Peterborough show, the guy who was demonstrating said that Cadac had never really shown people how to use them correctly. He used the trick of filling the moat with water or beer or wine to flavour food and to stop the draining fat to ignite, a couple of people who had bought Cadacs previously were astounded at the difference, I still can't make my mind up wether to get one or not.

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
We use the paella pan all the time. We insert the Teflon liner to cook on .
Wife says it's a doddle to clean.
Malc

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We have one of these simple gas cookers with us here in France ....husband forgot to bring spare cartridges. Any idea where we could buy some here ?
I did notice these spare cartridges in an Intermarché a couple of weeks ago.

Ady

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 1987
I use the smooth side of the griddle the fat stays in the lip and you can mop it up while cooking with some kitchen towel and tongs. Fairy power spray and hot water makes it clean in no time. Once a year I use Mr Muscle oven cleaner on all of it mine is still almost like new after 6 years.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We have the little Safari Chef in the van and use it all the time. I think it's a great bit of kit. Never had any problems cleaning it either. Just bought the Paella pan so next time we go away will be trying that out.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We will be selling our Cadac it is in good condition if anyone is interested pm me , we will be at Southport , Stratford, Hartlepool etc

Kath

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
How opportune that I should see this thread today. I have been googling to see where I can get a cadac in Spain but now I won't bother. As I already have a perfectly good paella pan, double skittle etc I will just buy one of those burners like Jim uses. I wonder if Glynn will let me spend the money I've saved on a new Garmin bike computer :rofl:

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Didn't really mean to post that, I was just experimenting. I'm very impressed with my accidental skills though!

Somewhere I saw an article about a small Kampa-type single burner cartridge cooker combined with a griddle plate, but I can't find it at the mo.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The Cadac Carri Chef lies abandoned behind the shed.. unloved and now covered in moss

and here it is .. one dead Cadac.. been behind the shed for five years..

I'm surprised how well it has kept .. a testament to the quality of the materials used ...

all it needs is three legs.. I lost one on a Spanish Autopista .. (you don't want to know) the other two have gone gone AWOL..

anyone have spare legs.. ?? can't find them in the Cadac spares..

DSCF1446.JPG
DSCF1447.JPG
DSCF1448.JPG

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This looks good:

Didn't really mean to post that, I was just experimenting. I'm very impressed with my accidental skills though!

Somewhere I saw an article about a small Kampa-type single burner cartridge cooker combined with a griddle plate, but I can't find it at the mo.

And stretching out your mis-post
Amazing what you end up with when you go shopping for safety boots!
Got the last one, folding BBQ, in local Lidl this morning for a tenner and it has a separate lift out tray for the charcoal.
Got the second last one yesterday for fifteen but needs returned.
Just need to teach the dug how to use it now. Wonder if the safety boots will fit him?

Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Went to Decathlon just outside Alicante today and they do a lovely little burner but it only runs on the little gas bottles. Does anyone know if there are any available that we can connect to our outside gas point?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Does anyone know if there are any available that we can connect to our outside gas point?

how about a cast iron Focker

had one for donkeys years.. I used it when camping and also at home as a wok burner when cooking outdoors..

it will outlast me and my kids..

Broken Link Removed

they also do a double burner..

Broken Link Removed

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
How opportune that I should see this thread today. I have been googling to see where I can get a cadac in Spain but now I won't bother. As I already have a perfectly good paella pan, double skittle etc I will just buy one of those burners like Jim uses. I wonder if Glynn will let me spend the money I've saved on a new Garmin bike computer :rofl:

Hi @Coolbeanz
Do you use your paella pan for frying and basically everything or do you carry a different pan that fits your paella ring ?
As we said going to get a paella pan hopefully while we're here !
Considering change from our Cada.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Got to say we are well pleased with our safari chef, wine in the moat, quick,brush of oil on what ever cooking surface your going to use & bingo cleans easy. If we got no oil when we are using the wire grill we just put the lid on when we have finished & keep it on full heat for a wile & then brush off.

Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Hi @Coolbeanz
Do you use your paella pan for frying and basically everything or do you carry a different pan that fits your paella ring ?
As we said going to get a paella pan hopefully while we're here !
Considering change from our Cada.
I only use the paella pan for the paellas. I have the 46cm one I used the other night which feeds around 12 and I have a 32cm which feeds 4 approx. I have a double skillet which I tend to use for everything else. I could probably just use the paella burner to put my skillet on but it really needs a wind guard as its a pain to keep alight if it's windy and will use a ton of gas. I always cook inside on the hob which is why I want a burner for outdoors. :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back