Cadac + lava rocks (1 Viewer)

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Has anyone ever put a circle of lava rocks under their cadac bbq grill plate to help cut down / vaporizer fat drops? Did it work??

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not sure what model Cadac BBQ you are using? Normally the fat runs off the BBQ plate and lands in the outside of the black bowl below so very little fat drops onto the burner. You do need some of the fat to burn off to help give the food a BBQ flavour.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Burgo
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Normally the fat runs off the BBQ plate and lands in the outside of the black bowl below so very little fat drops onto the burner. You do need some of the fat to burn off to help give the food a BBQ flavour.
Exactly. It crossed my mind that if you put some small lava rocks in the Black bowl then they'd heat up from the burner in the middle. Then any drips would vaporise better - and maybe make it less work to clean the Black bowl.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Good idea but maybe the lava rocks sitting in the fat below may not get enough heat to burn off the fat being at the same distance from the burner. BBQ grill mats are worth a look to save lots of cleaning up.

OP
OP
Burgo
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
First report! I bought a 3
20191101_155213.jpg
kg box of lava rock (pumice) from Leroy Merlino for €6.95 and used less than a fifth of them for my first go.
20191101_155219.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Burgo
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
We then cooked chicken jerk with 4 chicken quarters plus another breast chunk, having pre heated for 10 mins. All the fat seemed to drip into the lava rock and vaporise into "bbq smoke". It seemed to tame the Cadac down a bit as well which was a plus. This photo is afterwards. Best of all was the bottom pan wasn't full of fatty, greasy, droozle which was the purpose of the exercise - I moved a couple of the rock lumps to show its dry and, relatively, clean. Will be using a few more times in the next couple of days so will post again, but it looks promising.
20191101_195718.jpg

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
We just put water in the bottom, tip out after cooking and wipe clean. ?‍♂️
we do the same, takes all but 2 minutes to clean and no smelly lava rocks to store!

OP
OP
Burgo
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
We always did the water trick as well, but I was fed up with trying to carry it over to somewhere suitable to dispose of afterwards in the dark without spilling it. And you still then had to get hot water to clean the fat off properly as well. With the rocks I just left it under the motorhome overnight and this morning when I checked they weren't greasy or smelly at all. Maybe after a while they will get manky and we'll have to go back to the water or foil disk tricks. We'll see, but at the moment I'm still hopeful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back