Cabinets over stove - steam protection? (1 Viewer)

vantastic

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Crafter xlwb
I'm half way through my build and I'm currently building the kitchen. The idea was to have cabinets over the stove, pretty standard layout. But do I need to have some kind of protective cover inbetween? I'm using Moreland plywood boards, I'm worried the veneer will come off if I leave a pot of potatoes simmer for too long under the cabinet.

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Are the boards real veneer ?, if so then i would of thought adding a suitable lacquer or varnish would be fine.

We fit for a joinery company & they use veneered MDF for kitchen unit carcass & oak frames, they Lacquer the veneered MDF.

Karl

OP
OP
V

vantastic

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Crafter xlwb
It's not real wood veneer, no. It's a thin plasticky layer. There will be a cut edge with edge trim in the 'danger zone' as well.
I'm only worried about the bits directly above the stove.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Full timing might be a problem , normal use normally OK.
You could fit an extractor, standard on quite a few vans.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We have an extractor fan in the opening vent in the roof near the cooker. It does make a difference and also helps prevent the smoke detector going off when toasting or frying.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
We have a extractor fan fitted to the base of the cupboard over the stove. In summer with door and skylight open tend not to use it as it's a bit noisy but good in the winter to reduce condensation. It vents through the wall of the van.

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Extractor fan will help, or you could use glass like some of the manufacturers to protect the underside of the cupboard. The fitting instructions for your hob should have minimum distance measured vertically from the burners printed somewhere, I think ours said 600mm.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
use a pressure cooker on the stove . cuts steam etc by along way. plus cuts cooking time so saves gas etc .
my ones above the cooker are still ok after 19 yrs .
they were only cheap b&q kitchen cupboards.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Mine has a shallow cooker hood with extractor and lights in it. Probably a standard item, ask Johns Cross or other good dealer. The tv cabinet which is also near the hob has a metal bottom.

Deleted User
Hymer space the cabinets off the wall to aid air circulation and marine ply may deal with the moisture.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back